Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Laminar Flow Hood, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
my first time -- any thoughts?
    #3303245 - 11/01/04 02:47 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hello friends.

Soon i will be embarking on my first attempt at the cultivation of the blessed mushroom. The following is what i have and what i plan on doing with what i have; any advice, ideas, or thoughts you have are much appreciated.

i have bought everything i need to begin the initial phase--preparation of spawn, inoculation, incubation--except for the spawn. i cannot find whole rye grain in my town, only rye flour. i'm leaning towards brown rice flour but i may opt for a brf + quinoa and other stuff substrate i read about on this site. any suggestions?

i have 1 qt wide mouth jars, foil, latex gloves, face mask, lysol, some distilled water, two 20 gallon bins to incubate, a fish tank heater for warming the water. i was thinking of using coffee filters instead of tyvek filters--will this work okay? i'll be putting foil over them anyways. i suppose since i'm using a gas stove i don't need an alcohol lamp. as for inoculation, i was thinking of using the oven- tek as a sort of flow hood/glove box thing--is a glove box necessary? i'm thinking as long i observe the rules of cleanliness and sanitation i'll be okay without going to extremes of sanitation.

i'd read that buying organic long grain brown rice and then pulverizing it yourself helps. i'd also read that baking the brf and vermiculite in the over prior to pressure cooking or mixing was beneficial. any thoughts?

i have more questions about spawn mediums and a good self-sufficient terrarium setup, but i'll save them for later. in the interests of getting the questions i asked in this post alone answered, i'll end now. thanks.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: my first time -- any thoughts? [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3303262 - 11/01/04 02:57 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

you sound all good :thumbup: coffee filters are fine, you dont need a glovebox, but it will help guard against contams. Im not sure about the organic brown rice :shrug: good luck :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3306499 - 11/01/04 09:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If your gonna be using a flour substrate I wouldn't use quart jars.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
Re: my first time -- any thoughts? [Re: Magash]
    #3306751 - 11/01/04 10:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

How about a popcorn tek?

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: my first time -- any thoughts? [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #3307969 - 11/02/04 06:29 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Gr8fulJ420 said:
How about a popcorn tek?

how about it? kramer likes rye best in Qt jars.....never having tried popcorn
:tongue2:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: my first time -- any thoughts? [Re: george castanza]
    #3307979 - 11/02/04 06:38 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Re: my first time -- any thoughts? [Re: doc34]
    #3322163 - 11/04/04 11:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i'd thought about trying wbs, but i read some negative reviews of its performance on this site; given wbs' difficulty, i don't think it's such a good idea for my first attempt. i would love to use rye grain but i can't find whole grains of rye anywhere, even in the quite good health foods store in town. would a bird feed store have rye grains? what do you guys think is the next most reliable substrate for a newb like myself to try his hand at--popcorn, wbs, or maybe even pasta? macaroni sounded cool and easy, but i really don't know much. you're the experts; i eagerly await your advice!

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

OfflineEuphoricDisaster
CultivationProdigy

Loc: Where the good times roll...
    #3322295 - 11/05/04 12:33 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm a beginner myself, and after alot of reading and advice, i myself went with the BRF and Verm. tek. Just started it today, so I dont have any results yet. By the way, can anyone tell me how to get my damn incubating chamber up to temp with a fish tank heater?

--------------------

-------------------------------------------------
Prying open My "Third Eye"--Bill Hicks, Also Tool

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: my first time -- any thoughts? [Re: EuphoricDisaster]
    #3322315 - 11/05/04 12:38 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

are you using TnT?

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineCaptainj2001
Musician
Loc: South Carolina
    #3322405 - 11/05/04 01:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I say don't stress, on my first jars I basically sprayed my kitchen counter off with lysol and washed my hands to keep from getting contams, and I had none. These were 1/2 Pint jars with brf so that could make a difference, honestly I thought I'd have contams too but I didn't get any. You sound like you're taking all the neccessary precautions anyway, good luck to ya.

Justin

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Re: my first time -- any thoughts? [Re: Captainj2001]
    #3326244 - 11/06/04 12:10 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i'm with you captain. after doing months of research, it seems that as long as one observes common sense rules of sanitation contamination should not be a huge issue. i expect some jars or casings to be contaminated, no matter what i do. my main concern is using a newb-friendly substrate material, one that does not require a lot of experience and attention. does anyone know if stores like lowe's or home depot sell rye berries? i'd read rye berries are basically the same as rye grains. what other kinds of grains other than rye have people used with ease and success?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Laminar Flow Hood, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation