Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
Re: They're back,those purple-brown spored mushrooms [Re: Azure]
    #330068 - 05/30/01 07:55 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Don't worry, I'm not gonna eat'em. I found these same mushrooms last year, and never got a positive ID then.
As for Mitch, I don't think he would tell me to eat'em if he wasn't pretty sure they weren't poisonous. They're definitely not Naematoloma fasciculare, I've found those damn things enough to know. That doesn't mean these aren't poisonous of course, although I think the chances are slim that they are. No matter, they're gonna stay right where they're at until I know more.
But truly, thanks for your concern.
Todcasil, I'm pretty sure they're not Pan. foen. The Pan. foen. grows in grassy areas, and these grow solely on wood chips, mulch,and sometimes on maple, oak and beech leaves.
As for the bluing aspect, from what I've heard about P. caerulipes (doesn't mean it's true of course), it doesn't always blue.I guess there's also a possibility they could be P.silvatica, which also doesn't always show a bluing reaction (I think). I know P. silvatica is sometimes found in the Northeast (New York), but isn't listed for the South, but you never know.
Even if they aren't magic, it's still fun looking at 'em.
I think I'm gonna post a couple more pics.

doo

Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb.

Edited by doo on 05/30/01 09:58 PM.

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedoo
 User Gallery

Re: They're back,those purple-brown spored mushrooms [Re: doo]
    #330079 - 05/30/01 08:03 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, I promise, this is the last pic. I think it's this new camera. I just wish I had GG's steady hand. I'll get there eventually.

Edited by doo on 05/30/01 10:06 PM.

--------------------

OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
    #330134 - 05/30/01 09:12 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the great photos, doo:

I think you've got something in the pelliculosa/ silvatica species "complex," pretty sure genus is Psilocybe. Naematoloma dispersum are similar in shape & proportion but maybe a bit larger & not near so dark brown--more a yellowish tan. Some woodloving Psathryellas look similar, but lack a separable pellicle & usually have black spores.

Maybe a chemical test is in order--those are probably weakly psilocybian, if at all.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: They're back,those purple-brown spored mushrooms [Re: Woodsman]
    #330157 - 05/30/01 09:36 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, those are surely psilocybes, I would eat em, dry them and send em over for a bio assay :)

Great pics doo!!! Don't forget to dry a few specimens of different sizes and send themin to be identified.

--------------------

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: They're back,those purple-brown spored mushrooms [Re: Lizard King]
    #330161 - 05/30/01 09:47 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Come to think of it, why has everyone neglected the possibility that these are indeed Ps. caerulipes?? They sure fit the description, correct? And they fit the general region alot better than pelliculosa or silvatica. I'm fairly sure those are Ps. caerulipes.

Here is the pic of P. caerulipes from stamets PMOTW.

--------------------

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#330172 - 05/30/01 09:57 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Man, I'm ready to bet the farm those are Ps. caerulipes! Everything fits. Gills are sordid brown at first becoming rusty cinnamon. Bluing reaction variable, more evident when drying, and may take several hours before it can be seen. Often has veil remnants along margin of pileus. Widely distributed east of the great plains. Found in woody decaying harwood debris along river banks. What else do you need?? Those are caerulipes.

Take a print and send it over doo, I'll pay for postage, I'd like to experiment. I'll PM you with an addy.

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
    #330198 - 05/30/01 10:29 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

see what i mean? :) thats what i was sayin, those are surely psilocybes! ive never seen Neama.s (as i call whenim drinking like now) anything like that.

thou speakest arite
i am the merry wanderer of the night

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#330212 - 05/30/01 10:45 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

oh and todcasil
they cannot be"
"Panaeolus foenisecii" because it is actually called "paneolina
foenisecii" and aside from that, the habitat is way off and they look nothing like them. P. Foen, is arguably the most commonly encountered Lawn-variety LBM. and those dont look one little bit like them, the margin is wrong, the stipe is wrong, the substrate is wrong, the cap is wrong, the thick locally-ubundant patch is worng, yup, i would say those can only be psilocybes. really cant tell tho weather they are magic untill we get an expert oppinion or a confirmed dosage, and ias i mentioned, theres really nothing wrong with eating psilocybes. i can tell by looking at those and hearing the decs that those arent dangerous. i just havent personally encountered this particular speceis and cant make a Positive ID, but i can say that i beleive that they aren't dangerous based on youre standard elementary psychoactive-mushroom identification meathods. you see, our good hunting buddy here described this mushroom very well, most people who come on say stuff like "it had gills, felt rough, smelled and tasted shroomy, looks like this (insert URL of hopeful psychoactive mushroom photo)

this however (with pics no less) was described in a way that basically says "hey,. buddy, eat me!"
and personally, if i found this (as i said may not be the best idea) i would eat them, (after photo-documenting the find) to see if they were a psychoactive psilocybe and not just some dud speceis. im pretty certain that the mushroom in the picture is safe. thats my oppinion, but i STILL beleive MJ should throw in his 2 cents. if im wrong then maybe i shouldnt post anymore, but im pretty damn sure these were picked with insight towards whats good and whats not.

thou speakest arite

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #330296 - 05/31/01 12:53 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Wait for mj's thoughts.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #330303 - 05/31/01 01:00 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

doo.. try to get more pics.. Close-Ups.. you should be able to get a lot closer detail..
Get a bunch as close up as you can get with good focus.
Close up on the caps, and Gills, and stems, you know..

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #330468 - 05/31/01 07:20 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Man, I have to agree with Ps. caerulipes! Those absolutely have to be Psilocybian! Naematolomas and Hypholomas just don't have that "magical" presence that these doo!
Wanna know something funny? I'm always going to different libraries and book stores looking for mushroom books and it seems that probably 10% of the books printed before 1980 list Ps. caerulipes as the only Psilocybe. It seems it was the only magic mushroom known commonly enough to list.
Then you've got this huge community of mushroom hunters here, and no one on the east coast seems to ever find them. So Lizard King has an awesome patch of Ps. Weilli, but what about Ps. caerulipes, Ps. semilanceata, Ps. pelliculosa, Ps. silvatica and others(maybe Ps. caerulescens) that do grow over there? Man, it would be really exciting to see some of those others. Doo, you've got a killer find there! If you haven't picked the entire patch, could you let afew get older and allow the caps to spread out? Maybe sprinkle alittle water over them to keep moisture enough to maintain the chestnut color? That would be awesome to see!
Also, GG's Pans and Copes are always killer, too!
I'm just excited, forgive me and Stay cool!-Levi7.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: They're back,those purple-brown spored mushrooms [Re: Levi7]
    #330550 - 05/31/01 10:10 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

boy was i wrong... hmm. i never said i was a GOOD hunter, hehe, just a hunter who relys on othert peoples ids so far. maybe one day ill be as good as... umm... somebody whos good at mycology.

anyways.. just putting my two cents in. peace

--------

"give me shoes so i can tapsy" --Ween~

Edited by Todcasil on 05/31/01 12:12 PM.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: They're back,those purple-brown spored mushrooms [Re: Todcasil]
    #330610 - 05/31/01 11:12 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

We could easily all be wrong, we are just giving our opinions throwing ideas around. I still can't ID very good, but I'm getting better. You gave it a guess, which is better than nothing, and it was a good guess. Start trying to identify every mushroom you pick, and before long you will start to pick up on the different characteristics of different genus.

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#330663 - 05/31/01 12:20 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

i agree LK :) experience is the best way

thou speakest arite

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: They're back,those purple-brown spored mushrooms [Re: Mitchnast]
    #330694 - 05/31/01 12:57 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

They are a naematoloma.

I'll dig up their name shortly.

mj

And GreatOne,
P. pelliculosa stains even less blue than the liberty caps do. One in a thousand tend to get some bluing in P. pelliculosa.

mj

Have a shroomy day and may all of your days be shroomy.

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
Re: They're back,those purple-brown spored mushrooms [Re: mjshroomer]
    #330802 - 05/31/01 03:28 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

This is madness, i think i am the only one with a correct id!! I have ID'd them as mushrooms right from the start man....hehe silly nuggets.

--------------------
stay off my land

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: They're back,those purple-brown spored mushrooms [Re: mjshroomer]
    #330911 - 05/31/01 05:47 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

well ill be damned!

thou speakest arite

Offlinedoo
 User Gallery

Re: They're back,those purple-brown spored mushrooms [Re: Mitchnast]
    #330956 - 05/31/01 06:33 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for taking a look Mj, I was hoping you'd check'em out. It's great to see you too,Lizard King,Woodsman,and Levi7.
I'm gonna have to go with cardboard's diagnosis. They're mushrooms. Not only are they mushrooms, but they're Little Brown Mushrooms.They definitely ain't Amanitas.
They look like the Naematoloma dispersum photo in Audubon, but they also look like Stamet's pic of Psilocybe caerulipes.
Since I've been at theShroomery, I've never known Mj to be wrong on a mushroom ID, so with respect to his knowledge and experience, I'm gonna lean more toward the chance these are Naematoloma's.
But l have to consider that when IDing a mushroom from a photo(which you've all had to try to do) there's always a chance of error.
So with that in mind, I'm gonna continue investigating these little buggars, until I can possibly come up with a definite answer.
BTW GG, I've tried to take closeup pics, but they always turn out blurry as hell. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I have truly appreciated everyone's input.

doo

--------------------

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #330976 - 05/31/01 07:02 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Good choice, doo! MJ knows his stuff. They look magic to me, but still, even I wouldn't eat them until I knew for sure.
Stay cool and good to see you're out and about!-Levi7.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
Re: They're back,those purple-brown spored mushrooms [Re: Levi7]
    #335997 - 06/06/01 08:39 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

One more thing to add.-Naematoloma dispersum, the possible candidate here, grows from August-November in the Northwest and Rocky mountains. It's kinda funny that doo would find these in North Carolina in late May! Most other Naematolomas are yellow-orange in color, some with green gills. They all do have a purple-brown print, which gives to curiosity. Although these are not a spring mushroom. It would be like finding Ps. cyanescens in Texas in March-just won't happen! Stay cool!-Levi7.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale