Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Draft 101 - Can't I just dodge the draft?
    #3297729 - 10/30/04 04:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

This site is obviously biased, but - its still an eyebrow raiser.
This is a copy of a page of the website enjoythedraft.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Draft 101 - Can't I just dodge the draft?

I'm in high school, so I can't get drafted, right?
Don't sweat it dude, you can get drafted! If you're 18 and still in high school, they'll simply wait until the day you graduate, then give you a very special graduation gift.

Yeah, but I'm in college - I'll just get a deferment
Not this war! College deferments don't exist anymore. If you're a freshman, sophomore, or junior, you get to finish THAT SEMESTER ONLY, that's it. And if you're a senior, you get to finish that year. Then you're off to enjoy Spring Break in Baghdad!

But my parents will get me out
Don't worry, your parents won't spoil your fun. Neither will your college or your family connections. This time around, no one is exempt, and there is NOTHING your parents or college or family friends can do to interfere. Zip, nada, zilch.

How old do I have to be to get drafted?
18 to 25 year olds are eligible for the draft already, but the head of the Selective Service (the government agency that handles the draft) now wants to draft everyone up to the age of 35. Also, they're talking about a special skills draft that would take anyone up to their mid-40s who has knowledge of health care, languages or computer skills. So even old geezers like your parents can join in the fun!

But I'm a girl
And won't you be a popular one when they draft your ass to Iraq. The head of the Selective Service secretly asked this year for the authority to draft women.

Still, women won't serve in combat or other dangerous positions
Honey, "sleeping" is now a dangerous combat position in Iraq. Americans and other foreigners living in "safe" neighborhoods of Baghdad are being dragged out of their homes in the middle of the night to be beheaded. So don't worry, it doesn't matter what job they give you or where you live, you won't miss out on that chance to die for your country.

But I'm an only child
Again not a problem. And I quote from the Selective Service Web site: "Contrary to popular belief, 'only sons,' 'the last son to carry the family name,' and 'sole surviving sons' must register and they can be drafted."

Screw that, I just wont register
Then they'll ban you from ever getting a student loan or a driver's license for the rest of your life, take away your US citizenship (meaning you can never return to the US to see your family or friends ever again), and/or throw you in a military prison in Leavenworth, Kansas, where some guy named Ice will make you his bitch while you practice your naked-pyramid skills.

Then I'll go to Canada
Oh, that's so cute! But you won't. Bush signed a border treaty with Canada that blocks you from going there to escape being drafted.

Yeah, but how are they gonna catch me?
Uh hello, terrorist watch list much? You need a passport to leave the US. When you check in for your flight, train, or try to cross the border by car or by foot they check your passport to see if you're on a terrorist watch list. It won't be hard for them to add draft-status data to that list and nab you if you're on the run. Think about it - if they're willing to yank guys named Mohammed off of planes for no other reason than their dark hair, they'll certainly nab draft dodgers. So not to fear, no one is leaving the country.

Then I'll go to Canada (or somewhere else) BEFORE I get drafted, that's legal
Yes it is. But once your draft lottery number is called, if you don't return to the US to serve, you'll never be able to come back to the US ever again, cuz if you do they'll throw your ass in a military prison. And if you don't come back, exactly where do you plan on living in Canada, with what money, and doing what for a living? And oh yeah, how's your French?

Ok, so if I do get sent to Iraq, I'll just go AWOL and leave - what's the worst they can do to me?
Shoot you.

No, seriously?
Seriously. They can shoot you.

But what if I'm a foreigner?
Well bonjour! The good news is that even though we hate the French, we'll still draft their asses if they step on US soil. Any foreigner who's lived in the US for more than a year can be drafted (with a very few exceptions).

But I'm gay
Congratulations! And welcome to the Army! Sure, the military hates you, and you run a good chance of being beaten to death in your sleep by your fellow soldiers, but that doesn't mean they won't draft you anyway! The military has a special policy called "stop gap" where they don't throw you out for being gay during wartime (well, unless you're dead). Lucky you!

So what if I get drafted? In the end, Iraq can't be all that bad
Define "bad." If you don't mind losing total control over your life (and a few limbs), leaving your friends and family behind, spending the next two to five years wearing heavy clothes in 120 degree desert heat with 40 pounds of gear on your back, passing every second of every day looking out for snipers and car bombs waiting to blow your head off, and watching your new best friends and innocent men, women and children get blown to bits in front of your eyes, then sure, assuming you even live to tell about it, it's not that bad.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Edited by Civ (10/31/04 01:10 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMovingTarget

Loc: temporary
Re: Draft 101 - Can't I just dodge the draft? [Re: Civ]
    #3297740 - 10/30/04 04:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I dont know all that much about america, but is most this shit true?!?!?!

sounds fuckin like russia!

--------------------

Anonymous

#3297742 - 10/30/04 04:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

good thing there is no draft coming any time soon.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
Re: Draft 101 - Can't I just dodge the draft? [Re: ]
    #3297752 - 10/30/04 04:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:

Something is going to have to happen to fill the ranks if BushCo keeps waging war like it's the End of Times. If not the draft, then what? Are we going to start enslaving Iraqis into a mobile Middle Eastern army or something?

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

#3297754 - 10/30/04 04:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know about the women being draft part being true...

Quote:

"The head of the Selective Service secretly asked this year for the authority to draft women. "

But if the head os SS is pushing for it --

And I don't know if they are going to raise the age of the draft...

Quote:

"But the head of the Selective Service (the government agency that handles the draft) now wants to draft everyone up to the age of 35. Also, they're talking about a special skills draft that would take anyone up to their mid-40s who has knowledge of health care, languages or computer skills. "

--------------------

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

#3297761 - 10/30/04 04:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Thats what they said when they drafted my father 35 years ago.  and for what... (oh he's fines btw :smile:)

But its different now -- I don't feel we'll get drafted,  I mean, wouldn't we need to lose a lot more troops?

--------------------

Edited by Civ (10/30/04 04:39 PM)

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

#3297781 - 10/30/04 04:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If you would like to see if your registered for the draft, go here

--------------------

Offlineoggleman
Stranger
Male
Loc: Chicago
    #3297783 - 10/30/04 04:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If bush keeps picking fights across the world eventually he's going to run out of soldiers, first it will be active duty, then reserves and national guard.

I don't see it happening for at least 2 more wars, so what about 2-3 years?

--------------------

Anonymous

#3297816 - 10/30/04 04:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

there was a vote on a bill, HR 163 recently to reininstitue the draft:

"H.R.163

Title: To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes."

the vote was 402-2 opposed.

the congressman who sponsored the bill to reinstate the draft, its 14 cosponsors, and the 2 congressmen who voted for it are all democrats. the related bill in the senate, with identical language, was also sponsored by a democrat

Edited by Anonymous (10/30/04 05:01 PM)

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #3297821 - 10/30/04 04:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
there was a vote on a bill, HR 163 recently to reininstitue the draft:

"H.R.163

Title: To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes."

the vote was 402-2 opposed.

the congressmen who sponsored the bill to reinstate the draft, its 14 cosponsors, and the 2 congressmen who voted for it are all democrats. the related bill in the senate, with identical language, was also sponsored by a democrat

Which completely ignores the question of how you expect Bush is going to re-stock his army when all the gi-joes are blown to bits but Georgie isn't done playing in the sand yet.

--------------------

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #3297825 - 10/30/04 04:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Civ said:
If you would like to see if your registered for the draft, go  here

That doesn't tell you if you are registered, it IS the register!!! you just signed up!! :lol: just yankin your chain, though I wouldnt be surprised if they harvested the info of people typing in worried they will get hit with a draft :frown:

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Draft 101 - Can't I just dodge the draft? [Re: unbeliever]
    #3297840 - 10/30/04 05:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

unbeliever said:

Which completely ignores the question of how you expect Bush is going to re-stock his army when all the gi-joes are blown to bits but Georgie isn't done playing in the sand yet.

All the GI Joes blown to bits????? Interesting disdain for the troops but really, I think the mortality rate is below 1%. Restock the Armed forces? Raise the pay rate. Just like any other industry. I think there are probably more than a few with equal or higher mortality rates.

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Re: Draft 101 - Can't I just dodge the draft? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3297858 - 10/30/04 05:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

unbeliever said:

All the GI Joes blown to bits????? Interesting disdain for the troops but really, I think the mortality rate is below 1%. Restock the Armed forces? Raise the pay rate. Just like any other industry. I think there are probably more than a few with equal or higher mortality rates.

Raise the pay rate? Maybe we can just hand out more tax cuts for the wealthy to pay for that? Sounds like the Gee Dubya deficit spending plan to me.

Oh and I have no disdain for the troops. I do however have quite a bit of disdain for the way Bush treats the armed forces. The poorly planned iraq war based on faulty intelligence, the slashing of veteran benefits, the fact that bush hasn't attended a single service memorial all point to the fact that he just does not give a shit about the human element of his army. They're just pieces on the game board to him. Except that's granting him undue sophistication. Hence the sandbox / gi-joe analogy.

--------------------

Anonymous

#3297869 - 10/30/04 05:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

1120 US soldiers have died in iraq since march of 2003. there are about 480,000 soldiers in the US army.

Invisiblegrassman
Stranger
Male

Loc: twilight zone
    #3297871 - 10/30/04 05:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

"Then I'll go to Canada
Oh, that's so cute! But you won't. Bush signed a border treaty with Canada that blocks you from going there to escape being drafted. "

I wonder if this is really true. It seems unlikely, but you never know. Why would Bush, who adamantly said there would be no draft, sign this? If there would not be a draft, than why would it be necessary to sign a border treaty with Canada to stop someone from escaping a draft. Doesn't make sense to me.

--------------------
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #3297877 - 10/30/04 05:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:

1120 US soldiers have died in iraq since march of 2003. there are about 480,000 soldiers in the US army.

You have to take into consideration the wounded, the people finishing up their terms and how many of those are active combat. From what I've heard recruitment is down as well. Do you see the problem now? It may not be an immediate problem, but it could be come so down the road.

--------------------

Anonymous

#3297888 - 10/30/04 05:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i have seen nothing at all to support the idea that a draft is coming any time soon. i've got a few friends in the military and they laugh when asked about the possibility of a draft. the military does not want conscripts. congress has voted overwhelmingly against the idea. you say that there is a problem with recruitment and retainment but i see no proof at all.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #3297911 - 10/30/04 05:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
i have seen nothing at all to support the idea that a draft is coming any time soon. i've got a few friends in the military and they laugh when asked about the possibility of a draft. the military does not want conscripts. congress has voted overwhelmingly against the idea. you say that there is a problem with recruitment and retainment but i see no proof at all.

Well I hope you're right. If we can keep chicken-hawk assholes like Bush out of office, you probably will be.

--------------------

Offlineoggleman
Stranger
Male
Loc: Chicago
    #3297926 - 10/30/04 05:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

HAHAHA!!!

Man thats great, such eloquance.

Quote:

The war aint over yet. The first few years of this war has caused more american casualties than the first few years of the vietnam war, and we all know how that one ended up.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3297936 - 10/30/04 05:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

unbeliever said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

unbeliever said:

Raise the pay rate? Maybe we can just hand out more tax cuts for the wealthy to pay for that? Sounds like the Gee Dubya deficit spending plan to me.
Do you prefer the hit the economy took due to 9/11
Oh and I have no disdain for the troops. I do however have quite a bit of disdain for the way Bush treats the armed forces. The poorly planned iraq war based on faulty intelligence,
Poorly planned? They defeated a huge army in next to no time and have pacified more than 75% of the country since then with a loss of approximately 1100 troops. I call that a rousing military success. What training do you have that you have any business weighing in with an opinion that that is not incredible effectiveness. The intelligence was the same everyone had. You say there were no WMDs and then join the crowd bitching that we didn't guard 100% of them, just 99%. I don't even concede that the 1% was there when we could have been guarding it.

the slashing of veteran benefits,
the pay rate and housing conditions for the current members and their families have already been raised. As to vet benefits, I have no idea what you're talking about
the fact that bush hasn't attended a single service memorial all point to the fact that he just does not give a shit about the human element of his army. They're just pieces on the game board to him. Except that's granting him undue sophistication. Hence the sandbox / gi-joe analogy.
If he attends one he has to attend them all. Please show me the president who has done so

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion