Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Humidity Meter, Hygrometer, Magic Flight Launch Box, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vaporizer, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecoolman256
z0rz0rz
 User Gallery
Hows this casing looking? [pic ;)]
    #3295839 - 10/30/04 01:28 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

How's is my FOAF's casing looking? he is kinda concerned about there being larger fruits and some are still somewhat smaller yet growing... sorry for the shitty pic he says, taking it with a motorola v300 VGA picturephone, can get more pics on request... Humiditiy has been 85-92%, 7 quarts popcorn cased between 3 casings, cased with 50/50 peat/verm pH adjusted to ~7.5 with lime (no oyster shell buffer unfortunately) which was then sterilized. temps have maintained in the low to mid 70s (never dipping below 70 though). should he wait after some of the larger fruits mature to let the smaller ones catch up? He didn't patch because he was out of town during the 3 days the casings incubated and 2 of them were colonized quite a bit on top, albeit not quite yet overlayed... they are the two left casings with insane amounts of fruits... the rightmost is thicker and was colonized moreso in the valleys but not so much on top... it has waaaaay less fruits.... plastic closet with breathable bottom duct taped to maintain more rH, but still allow exhaust... hooked to a coolmist with a 5/8" hose and fitted with a adjustable nozzle to allow for adjustable humidity.. very low % peroxide (5%h202/95%h20 3% h202) to keep things from getting ugly.. what do you guys think? let the big ones open up and start sporulating all over and let a few of the medium ones catch up to get more out of the flush? any thoughts appreciated!

-edit: btw the strain is tapalpa, known for heavy spore production if im not mistaken.

Edited by coolman256 (10/30/04 01:51 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecoolman256
z0rz0rz
 User Gallery
Re: Hows this casing looking? [pic ;)] EDIT: MORE PICS [Re: coolman256]
    #3295860 - 10/30/04 01:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

my foaf also wanted me to note that he fans several times throughout the day on top of the cool mist airflow, and mists as necessary to boost rH and moisten the casing between the fruits. I guess he is really pushing me to ask you guys if his procedure is sound and if things are looking good thus far... i told my friend to ask him for a few more pics, maybe some quality stuff, we'll see..... thanks!

EDIT: GOT MORE PICS, sorry for posting so much, clearly my foaf is excited about this and wanting to get you guys the right info so you can get him some sound advice.

Edited by coolman256 (10/30/04 01:47 AM)

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

#3295953 - 10/30/04 02:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Those look fine to me. Just pick them as they mature. Procedures sound good as well. As for when to pick them, that depends on whether or not he wants to make spore prints or not and if he wants spores all over his casing etc... Nice work though.

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: Hows this casing looking? [pic ;)] EDIT: MORE PICS [Re: NewfoundFreedom]
    #3295957 - 10/30/04 02:06 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Also, those will need to be rehydrated after the first flush if he plans on getting more out of them. You can already see the casings shrinking away from the side.

Offlinecoolman256
z0rz0rz
 User Gallery
Re: Hows this casing looking? [pic ;)] EDIT: MORE PICS [Re: NewfoundFreedom]
    #3295977 - 10/30/04 02:16 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

word, he misted the casing soil between the shrooms right after taking those pics.. pretty funny  :lol:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3296380 - 10/30/04 06:59 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Sometimes in a large chamber a coolmist can actually lower your rh so make sure if your fanning (you don't need to at all..except maybe with one of them little fans over all the casings for any co2 pockets) you mist lots because that cool mist won't do to much. Ultrasonics on timers are good additions if your planning on being semiserious in this hobby. Ultra like 30 bucks at walmart and timers about 8 bucks there too..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinecoolman256
z0rz0rz
 User Gallery
Re: Hows this casing looking? [pic ;)] EDIT: MORE PICS [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3296748 - 10/30/04 10:55 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hm, I read about a lot of people with the martha closets that use BOTH a coolmist and an ultrasonic. Overkill IMO, the cool mist has constantly kept the rH over 90%, especially if the hose doesn't have a nozzle on it at all... no central air at the grow location, so perhaps ambient rH is just high... or perhaps the hygrometer is horrible.. in any event i think in the end the ultrasonic would be too much...

OfflineAmygdala
Learner

#3297639 - 10/30/04 03:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I think if you look through older posts about who utilizes ultrasonics and coolmists together, you might agree that overkill isn't the correct term. I would prefer the term "near perfection"... Maybe in your case it isn't needed, as it largely depends on the terrarium in question, but i say ultrasonic/coolmist without a doubt.

--------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

#3297854 - 10/30/04 05:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Sometimes in a large chamber a coolmist can actually lower your rh so make sure if your fanning (you don't need to at all..

Is that from expierance or from someone elses? I am just curious if their is more material on this. Cuase my homie runs his coolmist 24/7 and it does lower the humidity, so homie has his ultra coming on for 30 min then off for 1 hour and then on for 30 min etc etc. Just to keep the humdity up in his closet.

With homies system runing this way homies RH varies more than he would like. For example while the coolmist is running RH is near saturation but when it comes off very slowly drops the rh to 80-85. Homie has herd that this can cause negative effects on pinning and such. homie would appreciate any advice.

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: Hows this casing looking? [pic ;)] EDIT: MORE PICS [Re: rezzan1]
    #3297916 - 10/30/04 05:29 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

just pick the overly big ones, and let the rst grow out. u dont want a lot of spores ont eh casing surface (but dont freak if they ARE there).

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hows this casing looking? [pic ;)] EDIT: MORE PICS [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3298035 - 10/30/04 06:15 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Running coolmists will only allow around 80-85% RH and thats a fact I've seen repeatedly over and over again. The reason behind this is the amount of fresh air pushed by these units. Of course coolmists make humidity but not enough for healthy cakes without supplimental mistings IME, casings are another story they can do well if supplimented with misting which I recommend alway for the simple fact of keeping the casing properly hydrated for extended healthy flushes is beneficial. So if you have a chamber that is 95+% RH introducing a coolmist will indeed lower RH. GL guys :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

Re: Hows this casing looking? [pic ;)] EDIT: MORE PICS [Re: hyphae]
    #3298071 - 10/30/04 06:27 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hyphae,
Is the variance in RH negatively affecting the shroomies?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hows this casing looking? [pic ;)] EDIT: MORE PICS [Re: rezzan1]
    #3298312 - 10/30/04 07:42 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Shrooms love FAE (fresh air exchange) but they still need a very high RH environment. A variance in RH is actually very healthy as you see high RH limits transpiration and transpiration is what shroomies use as a major vehicle for growth. Now as long as the shroomies are not coming up short on their wants as far as water delivery they will thrive! :laugh:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hows this casing looking? [pic ;)] EDIT: MORE PICS [Re: hyphae]
    #3299700 - 10/31/04 01:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Its from both experience of myself and experience of others..and just how the cool mist works. Some cool mists are different though! Wick ones are the worst..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinecoolman256
z0rz0rz
 User Gallery
    #3303039 - 11/01/04 01:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

heh, definately using a vick's coolmist (NOT vaporizer) built by kaz, output taped and running to the plastic closet via 5/8" hose (about 1.5' long), humidity holds well above 90 with the coolmist running constantly... I think it depends largely on the misting mechanism (wicks do suck from what I hear, thats why a vicks coolmist is being used here) and the ambient rH.. no central air, no dehumidification, very little airflow, chamber stays above 90%..  I can see why it would lower it because of the FAE, but not to the levels that some are describing here.. unless the humidity guage is way off (16$ indoor/outdoor temp/humidity gauge).. anyways ill get my FOAF to post a few new pics of the explosive growth that has taken place since this thread was started.  thanks everyone!  :thumbup:

Offlinecoolman256
z0rz0rz
 User Gallery
    #3303047 - 11/01/04 01:03 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

here the new pics are, sorry to post like a whore!

InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere
    #3303396 - 11/01/04 04:02 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Nice work :cool:

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

Re: Hows this casing looking? [pic ;)] EDIT: MORE PICS [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #3303406 - 11/01/04 04:06 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup: :laugh: :thumbup:

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Hows this casing looking? [pic ;)] EDIT: MORE PICS [Re: Lifenergy]
    #3303538 - 11/01/04 05:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

that looks pretty damn good my friend. good job.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Humidity Meter, Hygrometer, Magic Flight Launch Box, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vaporizer, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation