Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

I'm almost done putting this together, help me clinch it!
    #3288956 - 10/28/04 11:36 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

In the past month or two I've posted a couple very board questions. I've learned a lot since then, but still have a long ways to go before I understand all these things. I basically need some help one last time, and I'll be all set (at least all set as in chosing my components, then the fun begins when they arrive and don't work right  ) So bear with me, help a lover of music finally get his setup so he can make some awesome stuff.

Let me give you a little background so your advice can be somewhat personalized... I'm 21 years old, been a musician since I was 6, I love music, its my life. I play piano/keyboard, drums, and guitar mainly, with a little clarinet left over from high school concert band. I've finally landed a good job and saved up some money, and am in the process of putting together a digital audio workstation to record/create music.

My goals are as follows: I'd first and foremost like to be able to sit in my room, laying down chord progressions on my keyboard or drums, then put on headphones and solo or sing over them, as put my drumset in there too. I'm also interested in getting into electronic music, I really like Fischerspooner and the Faint, that sort of thing, and would like my set-up to allow me to be really creative in that respect. Thirdly, I would like to be able to record my four-person band (standard setup... drumkit, bass, guitar, keyboard, vocals).

Here's where I stand so far: I got a used dual 1.5gig powermac G4 with a gig of memory, two 40 gig harddrives. I've got a general midi keyboard (Casio WK-1800). I'm planning on getting Logic Express, although I'm not 100% solid on this (and any input there would be appreciated too). I figure I'll get some sort of active monitors, I'm not really worrying about them yet.

Here's where I need your help. I'm new at this, and am having trouble understanding the specs of the various interfaces available. Essentially I want to get the least expensive interface, be it firewire or USB, that will allow me to record my band effectively. I've never recorded with a band before, so I'm not sure if I need to be able to get us playing live, or if we could have the drummer and bassist lay down their tracks together, and then add guitar, vocals, keyboard on subsequent takes. Would that work? If so, I could get an interface with less inputs
I'm looking at the MOTU 828mkII. I'm assuming that would allow us to play together, but I don't like the actual appearance/set-up. (I want to have something that looks like a mixing board, with faders, etc., though this isn't a necesity, just a sort of recording-studio fantasy ) The Tascam 1884 would be ideal, but its out of my price range.

So that brings me to the Tascam US428. At 300 bucks, its very affordable. Its got the tactile controls that I like, and I'm assuming it would work with logic express. I just can't make sense of the specifications, they're in a highly unfamiliar language to such a newb.

SO help me guys, I'm just exploding here waiting to make music, help me clinch this decision and order my sheit!  :smile:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: I'm almost done putting this together, help me clinch it! [Re: Noviseer]
    #3289532 - 10/28/04 01:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

My drummer just got a MOTU, don't be discouraged because it doesn't have faders on it...
It seemlessly links up with good software and is automated through that.

MOTU is an AMAZING brand (They make Digital Performer...) You definitely want firewire, and...

Damn, where's Jinx when you need him? :wink:

There are a ton of very knowledgable people around here. you'll get some great answers, no doubt
I'm just not the best when it comes to this, especially with Macs.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: I'm almost done putting this together, help me clinch it! [Re: Blastrid]
    #3291847 - 10/28/04 10:46 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for the help blastrid.  I've pretty much narrowed it down to the MOTU 828mkII and the Tascam US428.  I'm stuck because I'm ignorant of the ins and outs (pun intended)

can someone explain the following about each of these units?

Using (the MOTU) (The Tascam), how many recording microphones (the ones with can I have simultaneously recording to separate tracks in Logic Express, and how many sets of headphones would be able to hear the whole mix concurrent with the recording?  Does that make sense?  I'm good at music and bad at understanding electronics jargon, so I'm not getting the answers I need from the product descriptions of these things.  And when I say how many microhpnes can I have recording, I mean sticking the three-pronged thing strait into the unit. 

Thanks in advance guys, five shrooms to whoever gives me advice here :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: I'm almost done putting this together, help me clinch it! [Re: Noviseer]
    #3294436 - 10/29/04 03:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hey i had the tascam us428 for a while and i sent it back because it sucked.
USB is too slow and unstable for 24 bit audio...

i have the 828 mkII Firewire now and i've never had a freeze, pop, or click.
MOTU's CueMix is the best zero-latency monitor rig besides ProTools.

w/ the 828, you could have up to 8 pairs of headphones, each with it's own monitor mix,
but both the 828 and US428 only have 2 XLR (three prong mic) inputs,
the pre-amps on the MOTU are by far better than tascams.
the 828 has 8 1/4" inputs and 8 digital inputs as well....

you could use XLR to Hi-Z adaptors to record more than 2 mics @ once,
or you could use a little side mixer, but you wouldn't be able to record the tracks seperately.

I am selling my MOTU 828 mkII because i'm upgrading to the 896HD.

It works flawlessly, like new - not a scuff or scratch, but missing her rack ears.
comes with CueMix, AudioDesk, DP 4.5, Reason 2.5, Spark XL 2.8, Peak 4,
Manuals, 8 Foot Firewire Cable and Powercord.

i just had someone offer $550 for it, so i'll offer it to all Shroomerites for that much first.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: I'm almost done putting this together, help me clinch it! [Re: Middleman]
    #3294804 - 10/29/04 06:01 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

you're on man, check your PM's  :rockon: :laugh:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order