Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesarcasticprick
seriously

Loc: a tiny room
Is it Contaminated? (pics)
    #3294670 - 10/29/04 07:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

my first try. 12 1/2 pint jars. pressure cooker. pf tek. after 3 days i noticed the mycelium was on the move. man, was i excited. on the forth day i noticed a black spot. i gave it some time and about 5 days later i decided to take half of the jars (the 6 with the most black crap in 'em) and try again. the same thing is happening with the second try. i have noticed that the black areas seem to be getting covered with the white mycelium. what is this crap? i tried so very hard to be clean during the whole process. i follow instructions to the letter (for anything that has instructions). could it be that i used my gas stove to sterilize the syringe?

:frown: here is the black stuff in question:

:frown: here is some grey shit on top of one jar:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Is it Contaminated? (pics) [Re: sarcasticprick]
    #3294712 - 10/29/04 07:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It definitely looks like mold, the last pic is definitely mold. . .I wouldn't mess with trying to let the mycelium win this war. Black molds include some real nasties [and some benign ones]. Try to figure out where the problem came from. Next time around, leave a couple of the jars uninoculated and see what happens to them. This will help determine if it is the spore syringe/inoculating environment that is to blame.

OfflineKatrina
Stranger

Re: Is it Contaminated? (pics) [Re: Suntzu]
    #3297935 - 10/30/04 05:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Use the oven tek. I went through 3 sets of jars with mold until someone suggested the oven tek and I've done 3 sets now completely contam free. Do a search and you will find. Briefly, you turn on your oven to about 400 and let it go about half an hour. Then I come in with the Lysol spray and Oust, close all doors to the kitchen, shut vents, turn off fans, etc. I spray down the entire stove with Lysol (before you turn it on), all the counters around the stove behind, the floor, everying. Then I shoot Oust all over the room. Then turn your oven down to about 200, open door, and then sit in front of it and do your inoculation. The hot air out of the oven drives anything floating around up instead of settling on anything, i.e., the needle that could be going into your jars. I've had no problem since. I also flame the needle, wipe with alcohol in between each jar.

--------------------
Anyone who says size doesn't matter has been seeing too many small shrooms!

Invisibledr_gonz
Re: Is it Contaminated? (pics) *DELETED* [Re: Katrina]
    #3298216 - 10/30/04 07:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by dr_gonz

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinenatalie
Stranger
Re: Is it Contaminated? (pics) [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3388811 - 11/20/04 01:19 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

i have a question...i am new to this. if the mushrooms aren't dried right away after harvesting and they develop a black sludgy film...is that bad? should they be dried right away? and if not dried immediately and the black sludge is bad...how do you keep store them until they can be dried? any info would be appreciated. natalie

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: Is it Contaminated? (pics) [Re: natalie]
    #3388831 - 11/20/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

hey natalie you store them in a paper bag in the fridge. no plastic and no frezzer.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Is it Contaminated? (pics) [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3398318 - 11/23/04 02:40 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

black sludgy film...is that bad?

It depends, a pic would be good. It can be the hygrophaneous or viscid pellicule - which is a common P.cubensis feature - mixed with spores.

Quote:

should they be dried right away?

That's the best option.

Quote:

and if not dried immediately and the black sludge is bad...how do you keep store them until they can be dried?

lemon_lw gave you a good answer as this is a common practice, but they can be put inside the freezer. The only problem is, you can't defreeze them, thus you can't dry them. Instead you can grab a liquifier and make a delicious milkshake. Besides, they can be kept longer inside the freezer, just a though .... :wink:

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum