Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBornToDie
Lesser KnownCharacter
Boiling Sterilize Tek
    #3291001 - 10/28/04 07:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Can anyone point me towards a good boiling tek? I'm getting too impatient and decided to try boiling up a couple jars because I can't find a pressure cooker and there is no really good teks on boiling jars. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. :mushroom2:

--------------------
Drugs are for sluts and losers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Loc: Western Europe
Re: Boiling Sterilize Tek [Re: BornToDie]
    #3291037 - 10/28/04 07:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That's because boiling isn't a good tek, heh. The sponsors, along with walmart.com can ship a pressure cooker to you. Otherwise you put tin foil over the jar lids, put them in a pot with water 1/3 the way up the side of the jar, put on a really tight fitting lid, and boil for an hour. Lot more contams this way then with a PC though. Just do a search or read the faqs. Even the MMGG has about boiling in it... damn near everywhere.

--------------------
Everything I say on this board is a lie.

Eat more string cheese. It's good for you.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Boiling Sterilize Tek [Re: SCIOpenEyedDream]
    #3291041 - 10/28/04 07:21 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

don't forget your towel

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineJ4S0N
human
 User Gallery

Re: Boiling Sterilize Tek [Re: george castanza]
    #3291274 - 10/28/04 08:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've always done my jars with boiling and i've yet to have any contams, so if you're carefull it can be done. I just place the jars in a pot, with something to lift them off the bottom (it gets to hot and might crack the glass). I do it for 40mins to 1 hour.

Someday i'll get a PC, so far boiling has worked just fine.

--------------------
"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media." ~ William Colby, Former Director, CIA

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Boiling Sterilize Tek [Re: SCIOpenEyedDream]
    #3292176 - 10/29/04 12:26 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

IMO using PF jars with a pressure cooker is pointless. If you have a pressure cooker just use grains.

The whole point of the PF tek is that it doesn't need a PC.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

Re: Boiling Sterilize Tek [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3292300 - 10/29/04 01:05 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

What about microwaving? oviously you dont want to microwave a jar with metal lids but maybe you can use some kind of plastic lid and put it over the top of the jar. It might work a microwave can get things very hot!

--------------------
May it have been the one that you are no longer aware, but now it has become a reality.

-----Enter the craze untill you have seen!-----

--------------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Boiling Sterilize Tek [Re: Leukoism]
    #3292336 - 10/29/04 01:15 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The pressure built inside the jars will force out moisture. You'll lose unknown amount of water, which you can't compensate for... Also, the verm seems to melt onto the jars when you microwave for a long time...

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

Re: Boiling Sterilize Tek [Re: Sam1912]
    #3292348 - 10/29/04 01:20 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

What if the microwave was set on a low defrost setting, it could probably kill any mold or whatever. And what about putting h2o2 in it then Mwaving?

--------------------
May it have been the one that you are no longer aware, but now it has become a reality.

-----Enter the craze untill you have seen!-----

--------------------------

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3292734 - 10/29/04 05:20 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

What would be the point in the H2O2? Heat causes hydrogen peroxide to degrade into H2O+O rapidly.

The problem with microwaving is that you cannot control the heat. Some areas might get much hotter than the boiling point of water and caramelize your flour.

Also, as was mentioned, the jars must be vented.. and you loose moisture. You don't lose moisture in the PC because the pressure between the jars and the atmosphere(the inside of the PC) is even. Very little if any steam is forced out.

~210?F is enough to kill most things, but not all. Remember that water is vapor at 212?F(at sea level), so the only thing that is 212?F is the water vapor. Water vapor is invisible, so if you see steam, it has even cooled below the 212? point.

If you live at a high elevation, your water boiling point is even less than 212?F.

If your source of substrate is realitivly clean, there is no reason why regular boiling won't work.

Most of us like the added protection the +40?F of the PC.

I've thought about something.. Most of you let your grains soak for ~12-24 hours to give heat-resistant bacterial endospores a chance to germinate, reducing their heat resistance, right? Why couldn't you do the same thing with PF jars?

Make them up, and let them sit for ~24 hours before you sterilize them. The spores will germinate, and be killed when you boil. Shrug.. just a thought.

Offlinefloydguitar
smooth guitarist

Re: Boiling Sterilize Tek [Re: discman1]
    #3293087 - 10/29/04 08:56 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

never had any contams with steaming. just check out pf tek for the simple mind and it will tell you how to do it. nothing to it. good luck and enjoy.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3296285 - 10/30/04 03:53 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Leukoism said:
What if the microwave was set on a low defrost setting, it could probably kill any mold or whatever. And what about putting h2o2 in it then Mwaving?

No matter what..water would boil out. Sam JUST told you that man! GIve it up, microwave is not the way to sterilize..accept it and move on. You don't use dry heat to sterilize..

H202 will do nothing to grains because they produce peroxidase which will break it down and make it usless.

PF jars=boil
Grain jars=PC

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract