Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineoOTerraSanOo
journeyman
Liquid Growth Medium
    #320808 - 05/19/01 10:14 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I have afew questions concerning using liquid growth medium to spawn jars of rye grain.

1. How long does it normally take for the mycelium to grow to the proper size/density in the liquid growth medium?

2. How big is the proper size? I currently have little white puffs growing from the spores. Is this as big as they get? They are probably 1/32 of an inch in diameter. Also when I agitate the medium it gets cloudy like the tek says...

3. Should I use a needle and fish out the little mycelium puffs to spawn the grain or should I use a syringe and suck up the cloudy stuff to spawn?

thanks in advance for any help!

--
"The work will teach you how to do it."
--Estonian proverb

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegusb232

Loc: pm me
Re: Liquid Growth Medium [Re: oOTerraSanOo]
    #320822 - 05/19/01 10:34 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Is that retorical question. Cuz , yea right how are u going to fish those tiny puffs out, just use a syringe.
as i undestand atleast some of those puffs are supose to come together and produce thicker strands of mycelim.
How long, has it been, maybe there is not enough nutrients.
but it should be fine, i guess.
Ive only use liquid once and it ended up comtaninating when I poured it over some casing ( very dumb idea).

OfflineoOTerraSanOo
journeyman
Re: Liquid Growth Medium [Re: gusb232]
    #320846 - 05/19/01 11:08 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

IMHO I figured that they syringe method would be best, it seems you could get more mycelium in the grain that way. But I wasn't sure.

It has been 5 days now in the medium, though 90% of the growth that I now have happened within 36 hours after innoculation. Some of the puffs do come together but after agitation they seperate again.

--
--Estonian proverb

Offlinegusb232

Loc: pm me
    #320849 - 05/19/01 11:17 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Well its hard to tell without looking at it, Everyone alway rave how fast it grows in liquid, but it seem from your describtion that i could still grow some more just keep swriling it ever couple of days. Till its growth really slows down.

Offlineshroomeatindude
journeyman
    #320903 - 05/19/01 12:47 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

1. several days - weeks depending upon sugar content in medium and temperature it is grown out at.
2. by the time my friend sucks it up with a sterile syringe, the jar is usually very cloudy; much more than just a few small specks.
3. uhhhhh yesss. use a sterile syringe. you may want to inject a cc or two of peroxide into the jar with the suspension first.

Go and do a search for the honey tek... i think it covers all of this.

-Shr00meatind00d

--------------------
-Shr00meatind00d

Offlinegratefulredhead

Loc: Off the map....
    #320914 - 05/19/01 01:02 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

what exactly is in your liquid medium?

and your little dancing cave drawing is cooool!

Edited by gratefulredhead on 05/19/01 03:03 PM.

--------------------

OfflineoOTerraSanOo
journeyman
Re: Liquid Growth Medium [Re: gratefulredhead]
    #320922 - 05/19/01 01:15 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Well I can't say for sure, I bought it at magicmushroom.com. If I were to guess i would say that it's dextrose only. the directions had me put 5 1/2 teaspoons to 2 cups of water. It's a gold color solution...

Thanks for your help everyone, I think for now I will let it sit until Monday, that will give it a couple more days to grow. Yesterday I moved it from a room thats about 75 degrees to a little closet where my water heater is, not sure how warm it is in there but I can tell it's a least a few degrees warmer, probably 79 to 82 degrees. That should help speed up the growth. let me know if anyone has anymore suggestions.

--
--Estonian proverb

Offlineshroomeatindude
journeyman
    #320961 - 05/19/01 01:52 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

To be honest with you, my friend tried dextrose, and light tan malt extract for liquid broths. Tried many different ratios of each to water and ALWAYS ended up getting contam. He in the past had made spore syringes, used agar, spawned rye and birdseed, all with a very, very low contam rate. But for some reason he just could not get a liquid suspension without contamination, so he gave up. Then months later he started hearing all of the hype about honey water so he tried it, and ever since he has used it with maybe a 5% at most contam rate. He thinks honey water is the best thing in this field since PF's cakes.
He makes multi spore innocs into a jar of honey water, lets this grow out. Sucks up with syringe and innocs birdseed. Does everything normally to get fruits, takes the best fruit and clones it by putting it into his bleached and lysoled (20 gal long fishtank) glovebox. He slices it in half lenghtways and cores the stem with a syringe and injects this into new sterile honey water. He now has a single strain or clone of his mushroom to do whatever he wishes with. blablabla ill stop rambling

-Shr00meatind00d

--------------------
-Shr00meatind00d

OfflineoOTerraSanOo
journeyman
Re: Liquid Growth Medium [Re: shroomeatindude]
    #320983 - 05/19/01 02:15 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Well so far I haven't had a problem with contams. I just have never done this and wasn't sure what to look for as far as when to use it to innoculate my rye grain. Thanks for the honey water tip though, sounds like your friend has got a nice system going there. I think next time I will try honey water. I'll go look for the honey tek now....

--
--Estonian proverb

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#321074 - 05/19/01 05:01 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

That dancing dude is the coolest thing.

Sometimes Staph or Strep will form 'puffballs' in liquid culture; usually they have a tail hanging down, forming little puffball "streamers". I've never seen a mycelium puffball.
A couple days' incubation should help, and likely unmask any contams. Watch for increased opacity.

The above information is complete fiction.

Anonymous

Re: Liquid Growth Medium [Re: Suntzu]
    #321176 - 05/19/01 07:23 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

dunno what color dextrose is but malt extract is gold when diluted

OfflineoOTerraSanOo
journeyman
Re: Liquid Growth Medium [Re: Anonymous]
    #321239 - 05/19/01 08:49 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I wish I had a digital camera so I could post a pic of these little guys... I'm pretty sure it's not Staph or Strep, it looks like the puff balls are growing out of the spores. They have a very dark center...I used distilled water and unless the contams were in the powder I used (which could very well be malt extract and not dextrose) then I don't know how it got there. Magicmushroom.com called it "Magic Liquid Innoculation Power" or some shit. I was pretty sterile when I innoculated it. I do remember from the instructions sent to me from magicmushroom.com that the mycelium should look like dissolved asprin tablets floating around. You've got me a little scared now Suntzu... I appreciate the info but man I hope it's not contams. That would suck a donkey dick now wouldn't it?

I guess the only thing to do is wait it out a couple more days and see what happens... I'll post my results in case there is anyone else out there that is using this method (and is as clueless as me)...

--
--Estonian proverb

Offlinepetepetosa
Loc: West USA
    #326053 - 05/26/01 03:59 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Ya, everyone says you should get strands... It must depend on the strain amoung other things. I made some honey water a few months ago and just thru a whole spore print in a quart jar paper and all. I never got any strands of anything other than disolved paper. But I shook it up and innoculated some birdseed and it worked. The solution was just kind of murky after shaking it up. So who knows>>>>

Say what you mean
Mean what you say

--------------------
Say what you mean
Mean what you say

OfflineoOTerraSanOo
journeyman
Re: Liquid Growth Medium [Re: petepetosa]
    #329213 - 05/29/01 09:01 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Well, I innoculated 16 jars of whole millet, 4 jars with straight spore water and 12 jars with the liquid growth medium. I currently have growth in 10 of the 12 jars. Interestingly the jars innoculated with spore water started growing first... Oh well at least they are on their way...

Ok I have another question, I plan on trying the "drinking mycelium" tek with these. Don't flame me, i realize that this is a rather unorthodox method but I like this simpler method. Anyway my question is, the tek says to put 500g of cranberry juice in the jars to extract the mycelium. Being American I have no idea how much this is, could someone give me a rough idea in cups or even liters this is? Thanks

--
--Estonian proverb

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #329229 - 05/29/01 09:27 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

500 g = 1.10 lbs
500 ml = 1/2 Liter = 2.11 cups

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineFungusFlipper
    #329612 - 05/30/01 11:34 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

how can i get a copy of the dancing Kokopelli? PM me please?

here or FOREST FLOOR

ff

Why Jack, these are magic beans!

--------------------
Why Jack, these are magic beans!
Support the FSR! Ralph needs your help!
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing
Mycotopia: your shroom away from shroom!
http://myctopia.yage.net

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract