Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Cactus seeds sprouted, turning red
    #3290400 - 10/28/04 06:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

well I'm very pleased so far with the germination rate, most of them have sprouted. I've only been using 1 of the 2 fluoro lights but it still seems to have been too much. Most of them are only 2-3 mm but are all starting to go red.

I had them on about 18/6 light cycle and now I've turned off the fluoro in hope of getting them green again. WIll I lose any? How long might they take to green up again. I would hate to have to start the batch all over again..damnit I knew i wouldnt get the light levels right.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Cactus seeds sprouted, turning red [Re: faslimy]
    #3290623 - 10/28/04 07:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

>> WIll I lose any?

Maybe, but that's always possible regardless of burning them, though burning them is a riskfactor.

>>How long might they take to green up again.

It's variable, but don't expect a change in a week.

>>I would hate to have to start the batch all over again..damnit I knew i wouldnt get the light levels right.

You won't have to unless something goes terribly wrong.

I've had the best success with my trays on a heating pad on setting I, then diffusing the light from a south facing window, they did just perfect.

InvisibleStonehenge
Gone
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Cactus seeds sprouted, turning red [Re: neuro]
    #3290723 - 10/28/04 07:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

^^ What he said.

I've found that if you never let them get even a tiny bit red they grow tall and skinny which is almost as bad as losing them. Sprouts that small should not get much red in them. If they are just starting to turn red I would simply reduce the amount of light but not put them in the dark. Don't turn off the floros but if you can't move the light farther away you can try cutting back to 12/12 or putting a sheet of plastic between the light and the plants to cut down the lumens.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Cactus seeds sprouted, turning red [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3290775 - 10/28/04 08:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

They are next to a window and I have grown them without fluoros before with window light with no problems.

It was really confusion when they first sprouted a couple went red straight away but a lot were bright yellow.. which is like 2 opposites and I didn't want to take the light away incase it wouldn't be enough to keep the germination up. Either way about 70% have germinated so far which is excellent, I just hope they can keep going.

InvisibleStonehenge
Gone
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Cactus seeds sprouted, turning red [Re: faslimy]
    #3291063 - 10/28/04 09:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Ah, you forgot to mention the window. Yeah, I would do that and when the red looks like it's stabilised or gone down a little then give them some floro again. Like I say, a little red is not a bad thing. If it's kind of a shade of brown with some green in it, that is just about optimum. Means they are growing usually.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Cactus seeds sprouted, turning red [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3291079 - 10/28/04 09:37 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah they are slightly brownish at the tips and then lighter green at the base. They are still very small, not the size you usually associate with cactus seedlings yet. I'll see how the next couple of days goes though I'm worried they didn't have enough time to get established and won't do anymore growing.

fingers crossed

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden