Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Skinny Pedros
    #3289770 - 10/28/04 04:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I got these two Pedros last spring. One was fat as hell at the base but had a skinny top that was bent. It reminded me of a smurf's hat. Anyways the hooked one straightened up but it is still skinny. What can I do to make it have thicker growth? The soil is a mix of soil, llama shit, and perlite treated with bone meal. It gets direct sun for the majority of the day. I watered it at least once a week and folar fed it a couple times a week. It has been transplanted. What haven't I done?

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: Skinny Pedros [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #3290207 - 10/28/04 06:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well water it more often with ferts and give it more sun. The new growth should get fatter but the thin part will always be thin. The thickness of the cactus is relative to the intensity and amount of light it gets.

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Re: Skinny Pedros [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3290520 - 10/28/04 07:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Can I just use a watered down miracle grow type all around fert or is there anything speciel in formulas for cacti?

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #3290649 - 10/28/04 07:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

What do you mean by soil? Like potting soil or cactus soil? I'd say you're gonna end up holding too much water with the potting soil holding capacities plus the llama manure. I'd thin that out with some sand, especially if you're using ferts with each watering (which is fine if it's diluted miracle grow that works just the same as an everywatering feeder of specific cactus nutes whch is like 3-3-3 or whatever).

The thin part like gr0wer said will always be thin relative to the new growth if it gets better light intensity (that's what caused the thin part and will remedy the thin part as gr0wer also mentioned). The thin part will thicken up a bit just like a tree thickens up at the base as it gets older but it won't be as thick as the new growth if it gets better light.

InvisibleStonehenge
Gone
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Skinny Pedros [Re: neuro]
    #3290744 - 10/28/04 07:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I would follow the advice you've been given and when it gets larger but you see the skinny part is always going to be skinny then cut it where it starts to get skinny, let it callous over and plant the top part. The base will put out pups and the top will take off nice and fat.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Re: Skinny Pedros [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3291472 - 10/28/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Look for a low nitrogen fert. Im currently using 2-7-7 shults cactus ferts. But a mix of shultz 10-10-10 worked fine for me before i got the new ferts.

OfflineAelph
Playing in thedirt again

Loc: Metro Hotlanta
    #3292785 - 10/29/04 08:01 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Besides the light/fert problem, I have run into a problem of having black pots sitting in the sun. I have looked into this problem and have found that if the soil temperature in the pot becomes too great, that also will affect the growth of cactus (T. Pachanoi).

I discovered this fact this summer when I had 10 new cuttings that suddenly looked like bowling pins. The soil mix was great, good water/fert and good sun. I did some research and found that the missing ingredient was the soil temperature in the pots.

This might be a problem where I live (Southern US) and not a real concern for people living north of here.

Hope this helps

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Skinny Pedros [Re: Aelph]
    #3292898 - 10/29/04 09:24 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thats probably why they always do best in a bed id say..

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Re: Skinny Pedros [Re: faslimy]
    #3293615 - 10/29/04 02:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

And with white rocks over the soil top to reflect light back.

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Re: Skinny Pedros [Re: Aelph]
    #3295320 - 10/29/04 10:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Aelph said:
Besides the light/fert problem, I have run into a problem of having black pots sitting in the sun. I have looked into this problem and have found that if the soil temperature in the pot becomes too great, that also will affect the growth of cactus (T. Pachanoi).

I discovered this fact this summer when I had 10 new cuttings that suddenly looked like bowling pins. The soil mix was great, good water/fert and good sun. I did some research and found that the missing ingredient was the soil temperature in the pots.

This might be a problem where I live (Southern US) and not a real concern for people living north of here.

Hope this helps

That is an issue for me too then because I live in the south east. What I mean by soil is this premixed stuff called Jungle Growth. Its already a pretty light mix. In some of the others its composted cow manure. The llama shit is great though. I ran out so I need to go for a walk through the field to get some more. The soil dries out pretty fast. They grew what I would consider to be a diecent amount although it's my first year so I have no compairison. I had one who was rooting most of the season but still ended up doubling in size and putting out a pup. I am wondering if soil temp might be it.

--------------------
-Stephen Hawking

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

#3295517 - 10/29/04 11:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Cactus love good draining light soil. How tall did they grow in a season minds eyes?

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
    #3305324 - 11/01/04 04:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

One grew about 12 inches the other which was only growing, due to lack of roots, part of the season 6 inches but also put out a pup which still seems to be growing noticably now. The soil only takes a couple of days at most of direct light to dry out. It has a lot of perlite in it. I had to repot the one that grew about 12 inches and it had some thick nice looking roots.

--------------------
-Stephen Hawking

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

#3306192 - 11/01/04 08:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You let it go bone dry? Your better off watering every day once its well rooted starting about 6-8 weeks after planting.

InvisibleStonehenge
Gone
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #3306225 - 11/01/04 08:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Watering every day would be a little too much, imho. With all plants you have to let the soil dry out some or they get root rot.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Re: Skinny Pedros [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3306226 - 11/01/04 08:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Not with cactus, have good draining soil and only water a little every day.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #3306291 - 11/01/04 09:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Seems to be a serious conflict of ideas here. I'm sure both of you speak with experience so maybe we should agree that both methods can work and you should find a method which works well in your growing situation?

Personally I heavily soak and then let it completely dry then resoak.

Edited by faslimy (11/01/04 09:05 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden