Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Hygrometer, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Terrarium question ....
    #3289493 - 10/28/04 03:27 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I think I have my set up now. Let me run this by you guys and gals to see if there is something I'm missing. I picked up a 30 gallon bin with lid from shitty ol' Walmart. $8.00 I also picked up a 12" airstone, a single line air pump, and some tubing for air movement. $10.00 I already had an unopened bag of Perlite that I'll be using. I plan to set it up like this. I'm going to sterilize the bin with bleach and water, then let it air dry. While it's drying I will oven sterilize the perlite. I'll install the air pump line and airstone in the dead center of the bin. I'll then lay down a 1.5" to 2" layer of sterile perlite (cool of course). I will then use a freshly opened gallon (or more if needed) of distilled water (this need not be sterilized right?) to bring the water level up to 1/2" at most (I will have to measure this by cups prior to bin sterilizing and then add it after because my bin is not see through). This will complete my bottom layer. I then will have one 8x8 casing of 2 1/2 pint jars, as well as 4 cakes that will go in there on the bottom layer. I plan to put the cakes on sterile tin foil so I can use the jars again right away. I also plan to mist for added moisture as needed. I will be picking up a hygrometer in the next few days as well as a new trhermometer (combo pack) so I can keep track. Would this set up need a drip shield or could I get away with just misting the sides? Also, I'm torn on what to do for a top. I want to keep the cost down as much as possible but I need to let light in the top. Would it be possible to use some saran wrap or something of the sort for a top or is it just too difficult to deal with? I'll have the air flowing as well from the airstone so that may be good or it may be bad, I'm not sure. Do I need to just get over it and make another expenditure? Also, I'm heating with a lamp so would it work to put a thin black sheet over the bin to stop most of the light from geting through for chunks of the day? Just to control the light. That way I can keep the temp constant but not light the bin 24 hrs a day. Or should I look in to getting a heating pad and putting it below the bin maybe? Any other ways to heat that might be better an inexpensive? Any other suggestions on all this? Where I live the RH is around 60-70% if that helps. Thanks everyone.

--------------------
You've raped! I feel dirty
It hurt! As a child
Tied down! That's a good boy
And fucked! Your own child
I scream! No one hears me
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching
Mommy why?! Your own child -Korn

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Re: Terrarium question .... [Re: Tripster]
    #3289539 - 10/28/04 03:43 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

BTW, I meant to make the title "Terrarium questions". My bad.

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

OfflineSilven
I trip,therefore weare.

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3289634 - 10/28/04 04:06 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

For your perlite:

I find it easy, after you've moistened your perlite a bit, to dig a small hole down to the bottom of your terrarium in the middle of the perlite and then keep adding water all over the perlite layer until you see about 1/4" - 1/2" water collecting in your hole.  Works great :wink:

Also, for your lid, just stop into home depot, busy beaver, or maybe even walmart and pick yourself up a 12"x12" piece of plexiglass. ($3)  Use a utility knife or a saw and cut the plexiglass to a pre-determined size that will fit in the flat spot on your tupperware lid, make sure that the plexiglass overlaps the hole that you will cut in the lid by about 1/4" atleast all the way around.  Use either caulking or highly adhesive tape like duct-tape to keep your lid on (you should get caulking eventually, duct-tape is just a temp solution).

For your heating, yes definately use a heating pad if you have one because that lamp could cause fire or get your terrarium too hot once it's completely closed up.

Eventually you should move up to a tub in tub.  The bottom tub will have water in it with an aquarium heater, and the second tub will sit inside the first on top of the water.  The heater heats the water and spreads it equally throughout the terrarium.  Very very good heating method. :thumbup:

Hope I've helped,
  - Silven

--------------------
Born: 10/31/83, which makes me a Scorpio.

1) Scorpios are the most highly sexed of all the signs of the zodiac.
2) Scorpios are prone to excesses: booze, drugs, sex, bad puns, etc.
They usually exploit the weaknesses of others, who fall victim to
their capacity for total lust & sexual abberation.
3) Scorpios possess great intellectual curiosity & creative talent. They
think they are rebels & are arrogant, proud, conceited, and worth every
penny of it.

What do you bring to the table?

Offlinedjred

Re: Terrarium question .... [Re: Silven]
    #3289671 - 10/28/04 04:16 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

ok why would you want to heat up your terrarium if you wan tit to be room temp wich is most house? doesn't he mean he wants to heat up incubator? seems like somehtin gisn't cliking?

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

#3289756 - 10/28/04 04:36 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Silven said:
For your perlite:

I find it easy, after you've moistened your perlite a bit, to dig a small hole down to the bottom of your terrarium in the middle of the perlite and then keep adding water all over the perlite layer until you see about 1/4" - 1/2" water collecting in your hole.  Works great :wink:

Nice, that sounds MUCH easier than my poor idea.
Quote:

Also, for your lid, just stop into home depot, busy beaver, or maybe even walmart and pick yourself up a 12"x12" piece of plexiglass. ($3)  Use a utility knife or a saw and cut the plexiglass to a pre-determined size that will fit in the flat spot on your tupperware lid, make sure that the plexiglass overlaps the hole that you will cut in the lid by about 1/4" atleast all the way around.  Use either caulking or highly adhesive tape like duct-tape to keep your lid on (you should get caulking eventually, duct-tape is just a temp solution).

Alright, I thought the stuff would cost more. If it's that cheap than plexiglass it is. Thanks.
Quote:

For your heating, yes definately use a heating pad if you have one because that lamp could cause fire or get your terrarium too hot once it's completely closed up.

Eventually you should move up to a tub in tub.  The bottom tub will have water in it with an aquarium heater, and the second tub will sit inside the first on top of the water.  The heater heats the water and spreads it equally throughout the terrarium.  Very very good heating method. :thumbup:

Hope I've helped,
  - Silven

You have helped a lot. I appreciate it. What size or wattage or however they're measured, strength heating pad do you think I need to heat this size? (30 gal and about 14-16 inches high) Thanks again.

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

OfflineSilven
I trip,therefore weare.

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3289805 - 10/28/04 04:49 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Oh yea, I forgot you're using a relatively small rubbermaid. If your house is relatively 70 degrees you probably won't need anything heating it.

I'm sorry, I should have caught that. I currently only heat my incubation chamber as well, and I use a heating pad for that.

With heating pads, the one good thing about them is you can regulate the heat by putting a blanket or towel between the pad and your tub to get a nice ideal temperature. The bad thing is that they will increase the temperature of the spot they are directly under significantly. Best to keep your jars up off the bottom if you're incubating with one.

If you do need to heat your fruiting chamber to get it up to 70 - 75 degrees you can use the heating pad. Almost any will work if you use the towel/blanket way to lower your heat. Mine has a low, med, high setting. The high can get my incubation chamber up to 98 degrees (bad), but the low keeps it relatively 73 - 75, and medium around 85.

- Silven

--------------------
Born: 10/31/83, which makes me a Scorpio.

1) Scorpios are the most highly sexed of all the signs of the zodiac.
2) Scorpios are prone to excesses: booze, drugs, sex, bad puns, etc.
They usually exploit the weaknesses of others, who fall victim to
their capacity for total lust & sexual abberation.
3) Scorpios possess great intellectual curiosity & creative talent. They
think they are rebels & are arrogant, proud, conceited, and worth every
penny of it.

What do you bring to the table?

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

#3289857 - 10/28/04 05:01 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Silven said:
Oh yea, I forgot you're using a relatively small rubbermaid. If your house is relatively 70 degrees you probably won't need anything heating it.

I'm sorry, I should have caught that. I currently only heat my incubation chamber as well, and I use a heating pad for that.

With heating pads, the one good thing about them is you can regulate the heat by putting a blanket or towel between the pad and your tub to get a nice ideal temperature. The bad thing is that they will increase the temperature of the spot they are directly under significantly. Best to keep your jars up off the bottom if you're incubating with one.

If you do need to heat your fruiting chamber to get it up to 70 - 75 degrees you can use the heating pad. Almost any will work if you use the towel/blanket way to lower your heat. Mine has a low, med, high setting. The high can get my incubation chamber up to 98 degrees (bad), but the low keeps it relatively 73 - 75, and medium around 85.

- Silven

Fantastic, thanks.

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Re: Terrarium question .... [Re: djred]
    #3289914 - 10/28/04 05:13 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

djred said:
ok why would you want to heat up your terrarium if you wan tit to be room temp wich is most house? doesn't he mean he wants to heat up incubator? seems like somehtin gisn't cliking?

My house is usually 65-70 degrees. I will be putting casings in this most of the time. They should incubate at around 80-85 degrees right? I've read so much I may be confusing my info. Is it bad to incubate casings for 1-2 days in the terrarium? I figured between the need for those 1-2 days and the fact that winter is coming that a source to control heat would be good to have.

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

#3289947 - 10/28/04 05:21 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Just remembered a question that I forgot to ask. Do I need a drip shield with this set up? If the plexiglass is so cheap I should I guess but I'm worried about vertical grow space as well so if it's not needed I may not use it. What do you think?

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

Edited by Tripster (10/28/04 05:22 PM)

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3289987 - 10/28/04 05:29 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Tripster said:
Just remembered a question that I forgot to ask. Do I need a drip shield with this set up? If the plexiglass is so cheap I should I guess but I'm worried about vertical grow space as well so if it's not needed I may not use it. What do you think?

Forget the drip shield.Ihave not had one in 8 months.No problem with rain effect as long as you mist and fan. :thumbup:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineAmygdala
Learner

#3289994 - 10/28/04 05:31 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Is it bad to incubate casings for 1-2 days in the terrarium?

Im not sure exactly what you mean because of the use of the word terrarium, but after making the casings, you'll want to stick them in the incubator for 2-3 days, when mycelium pokes through stick them in the terrarium. Some people patch at that time, i haven't really felt the need to do so...

As far as the drip-shield goes, i would say dont bother, with perlite in such a small container you should have no problem keeping humidity up. Just mist the casing every so often until pins begin to form.  :thumbup:

--------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Re: Terrarium question .... [Re: Amygdala]
    #3290052 - 10/28/04 05:40 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Amygdala said:
Quote:

Is it bad to incubate casings for 1-2 days in the terrarium?

Im not sure exactly what you mean because of the use of the word terrarium, but after making the casings, you'll want to stick them in the incubator for 2-3 days, when mycelium pokes through stick them in the terrarium. Some people patch at that time, i haven't really felt the need to do so...

As far as the drip-shield goes, i would say dont bother, with perlite in such a small container you should have no problem keeping humidity up. Just mist the casing every so often until pins begin to form.  :thumbup:

Cool, no drip shield then. That's good news. Now, I meant I was hoping I could just make my casing and stick it in the terrarium with the foil on it and turn the heat up (of course with nothing else in there) for 1-2 days. Then when I see myc poking through I'd turn it down and let it fruit. Is that a bad idea? Should I incubate in something else? Do I need to make a whole other chamber or can I just cover it with foil and stick it under a lamp (monitoring temp of course)? Thanks.

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

OfflineAmygdala
Learner

#3290063 - 10/28/04 05:42 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

If that is all that is in your terrarium I wouldn't see a problem, i was kinda wondering if that was what you meant. You may want to build an incubator soon though, if you plan on doing more that is, because problems may arise when some need to colonize while some need to fruit...

--------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Re: Terrarium question .... [Re: Amygdala]
    #3290090 - 10/28/04 05:47 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Amygdala said:
If that is all that is in your terrarium I wouldn't see a problem, i was kinda wondering if that was what you meant. You may want to build an incubator soon though, if you plan on doing more that is, because problems may arise when some need to colonize while some need to fruit...

Yeah, I could see how that would be a problem. One that hindsight would teach you the hard way too. Thanks. I plan to have more inoculated right after these are in the terrarium so I probably should do that.

--------------------
It hurt! As a child
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching

Offlinecoastalroyalty
Spirit Seeker
Male

Loc: Mississippi
    #9391320 - 12/08/08 12:40 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote Silven:

That's exactly what I was looking for!  The terrarium/incubator system to keep the cakes the right temp while fruiting.  Is there anywhere I can find more info on this?  Like where to put the holes and such as opposed to the pf tek method where you put holes on every side including the bottom.  I have to cover the bottom or not put holes in the bottom to keep water from getting in from the bottom tub with the fish tank heater in it right?  Any guides for this?  Thanks.

--------------------
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a sick society.

Edited by coastalroyalty (12/08/08 12:43 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Hygrometer, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation