Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecope2
Stranger
HELP!!!
    #3288679 - 10/28/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ok so here is the problem, can anyone help me solve it?? where's vanilla ice when you need em right,hehehehe....anyway,so i had colonized about 3 lbs of compost and then i cased with vermiculite, i didn't dunk my compost cake or anything, and i was worried about comtams so i didn't soak the vermiculate in water before i cased, i thought i would try something and maybe it would be revolutionary or something, i love to experiment, so i just put the vermic on dry and then misted the casing layer until it was moist. I haven't had any contamination problems, but i also can't get the mycelium to colonize the casing layer enough, like it definitely colonized some of it and then i patched like someone here told me to do, and then also on the advice from someone here, i took the steps to initiate pinning (light, co2, temp drop), this person said that in a week or so the top of my casing layer should have strands of mycelium running all through it, its been days and there has been little change, my top layer is sort of bare except for a few strands here and there, should i mist more? should i somehow discard the current casing layer and case again this time following procedure if i could somehow do so without contaminating? any help anyone can give would be appreciated, thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinealisia
Stranger
Re: HELP!!! [Re: cope2]
    #3288701 - 10/28/04 10:28 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

im quite sure the verms moist so the mycelium can colonize through it. IM a new at this but im guessing the advice thast going to be given is discard the dry verm layer. recase and maybe deep scratch it

Offlinecope2
Stranger
Re: HELP!!! [Re: alisia]
    #3288738 - 10/28/04 10:37 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

its just that i'm not sure if its dry anymore, cause i've been misting, but i guess the casing layer isn't uniformly moist huh, and thats my problem, i'm just so scared of contams!!!!!! e4specially with vermic whenever i get contams its always growing off of vermic.

Offlinehydroguru
Stranger
Loc: dark side of the moon
    #3288752 - 10/28/04 10:39 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

if you would have wet your verm. then nuked or baked it you shouldn't have to worry as much about contams

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3288776 - 10/28/04 10:44 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think the problem is that when you reduced the temperature, introduced fresh air and light that you gave your mycelium less than optimum conditions to colonize with. You gave it fruiting conditions when it still needs vegetative conditions, which will slow your colonization down, sometimes drastically.

- Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlinecope2
Stranger
Re: HELP!!! [Re: Silven]
    #3288795 - 10/28/04 10:48 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

why did that person tell me to do that if i should of kept vegatative conditions? should i switch back to vegatative conditions? i was thinking that i shouldn't of initiated pinning, what do you think? should i go back to vegatative conditions and see what happens? thanks

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3288813 - 10/28/04 10:51 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've never been in the situation you're in, but if I were, then I would probably re-increase my temperatures up to 83 - 86 degrees, give the casing around 85% - 90% humidity, and cover it with a piece of plastic or something to help keep the CO2 levels high (as myc loves high CO2 levels during vegetative mode), check your casing once a day and mist if no pins/etc are showing.

Your myc should continue growing without a problem so long as the entire substrate is colonized before a contam can get a foothold since you're set back a few days by this.

- Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlinecope2
Stranger
Re: HELP!!! [Re: Silven]
    #3288837 - 10/28/04 10:56 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thanks man

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3289083 - 10/28/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

when you applied the dry verm and then sprayed it you "matted" it and now the myc is not going to penetrate it very well (as you have noted)

ok kramer says this is your best chance with that casing:
mist the verm real good get it moist,near saturation....now flip that bad boy over(hopefully you have another identical container)...and apply a very thin(PRE-MOISTENED!)casing layer to the top(the bottom right before you flipped)
keep in fruiting chamber and wait....it is not all that unusual to wait 12-21 days for pins on poo
hope this helps
:goodluck:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinecope2
Stranger
Re: HELP!!! [Re: george castanza]
    #3289661 - 10/28/04 02:14 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ok, i have an idea, what if cut the compost cake length-wise so that there is two resulting non-matted same-size surfaces which i can then case with pre-moistened vermic., do you see what i'm saying? I sterilized a spoon and dug into the vermic a little and it didn't seem matted at all, could it be that i halted mycelial growth by lowering the temp and exposing it to light? if i restore vegatative conditions would it start growing again....i'm a little confused as to what the mushrooms will be growing from, the mycelium that colonizes the casing or will they grow from the substrate underneath the casing, the casing just serving to creat ideal primordial formation conditions?

Invisiblenoxy
Dr
 User Gallery

Loc: its more a time, not a pl...
    #3289700 - 10/28/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

id do the flip thing just because thats what Kramer would do

cut the cake with anything is going to raise your risk of contams through the roof

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP!!! [Re: noxy]
    #3289737 - 10/28/04 02:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yes you "could" cut it... that may or may not make it stall
is your set up automated?.....if not i see a lot of fanning and misting in your future... 74-76F is prime for pinning...fan and mist(only when needed)every hour that you think about it....it is really hard to get too much fae with poo poo
:goodluck:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinecope2
Stranger
    #3291106 - 10/28/04 07:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

when one fans, how long should one fan? you seem to know a lot about growing mushrooms on compost, is there anything else i should do optimize yield? But i should fan a lot, right, cause its compost? listen to this: i initially had about a 1lb of compost colonized and it fruited once, but most of the pins aborted, so i layered it with more and more compost and the mycelium happily colonized that, then i stupidly put the dry vermic on and misted and here i am today, i guess what i'm wondering is if i flip, will all the nutrients gained from the compost i placed on top be wasted, like is the whole cake one organism?

Offlinecope2
Stranger
    #3291121 - 10/28/04 07:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

also i did flip it once and it seemed matted on the bottom, if i do this flip thing should i deep scratch before casing?

Offlinecope2
Stranger
    #3291129 - 10/28/04 07:48 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i also have a question about humidity, like whats the ideal humidity level when your colonizing casing and when your pinning and when your fruiting? i'm worried about overlay, because as i understand it, when overlay happens your yield declines a lot.

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3292726 - 10/29/04 05:12 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cope2 said:
when one fans, how long should one fan? you seem to know a lot about growing mushrooms on compost, is there anything else i should do optimize yield? But i should fan a lot, right, cause its compost? listen to this: i initially had about a 1lb of compost colonized and it fruited once, but most of the pins aborted, so i layered it with more and more compost and the mycelium happily colonized that, then i stupidly put the dry vermic on and misted and here i am today, i guess what i'm wondering is if i flip, will all the nutrients gained from the compost i placed on top be wasted, like is the whole cake one organism?

well no wonder.....should have included ALL your info in your first post! :rolleyes:
kramer says you will most likely never see a good flush from that bulk casing :rolleyes:
and if your asking if the cake is one organism....well....we gotta send you back to the  faq :pimpslap:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinecope2
Stranger
    #3293226 - 10/29/04 09:58 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

wait, can you tell me why it wont fruit again? why can't you do what i did?

Invisiblenoxy
Dr
 User Gallery

#3293254 - 10/29/04 10:06 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

:nonono:

Offlinecope2
Stranger
Re: HELP!!! [Re: noxy]
    #3293421 - 10/29/04 11:02 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

umm, that doesn't really explain why one can't do what i did, i just want to know what your basing your opinions on, the way i understand it the mycelium gathers nutrients from the substrate in order to produce mushrooms if i added more nutrients, shouldn't that mean more mushrooms? an explanation would be more helpful than an emoticon, and i thought this forum was about educating people

Invisiblenoxy
Dr
 User Gallery

#3293505 - 10/29/04 11:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

you said it fruited once but you had a lot of aborts

you needed to find out why so many aborts right then and there
could it of been an environmental issue?
varying temps and humidity around pinset/primordia formation time
is going to diminish the yeild drasticly
it would seem to me that the biggest part of the nutrient mass
was used up by that first flush, by adding nutrient you will
give the myc a place to go, but that first mad dash to fruit has spent

My personal experience is that the myc does not like variation in environmental conditions
a slight variation in humidity at pinset will disrupt it
after pinset the humidity drops ever so slightly and this increased
evaporation is what causes the primordia to enlarge and develop
but its a fine line, too little humidity, too much humidity,
variation in temp ect. is going to disrupt the process,
and if the nutrient base has been spent, well the yeild will be reduced, to say the least.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract