Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemetallicarules
Stranger
perlite
    #3286390 - 10/27/04 07:37 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well earlier today i went ahead and soaked my perlite and put in in my terrarium. That has got to be the messiest shit i have ever delt with, it sticks to everything. Anyway i soaked it, drained it, them put the wet perlite in my terrarium about an inch-inch and a half deep somewhere in there. It has been several hours now and there is barely any condensation on the sides. Really its just like a fogged windshield. Plus the hygrometer/thermometer i bought apparently just displays HI when the humidity gets above what would be normal so its gonna be worthless for this. I'm thinking i should pour water in so that it actually has sitting water in it. The pre-soak thing isnt working. Input?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: perlite [Re: metallicarules]
    #3286421 - 10/27/04 07:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

To raise the humidity you could add more perlite and water. Sitting water promotes contamination. I myself hate perlite. I actually just used vermiculate with an h2o/h2o2 solution my last few times an had no problems. I'm sure others could give you some more advice so I'd wait and see.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3286423 - 10/27/04 07:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

2" perlite, 1" water.

Just make sure you give yourself at least 1"(more is okay) of perlite above the waterline. Use a clear plastic tube in the corner to check the water level if you can't see through the container.

Make sure you seal the container well unless you use PMP.

Good luck

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinemetallicarules
Stranger
Re: perlite [Re: Sam1912]
    #3286567 - 10/27/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

My terrarium is completely clear on all sides and top so i can see the water level i just read about people using presoaked perlite. It was a hell of a lot of trouble to presoak and i'll never do it again i'll just put it in and add water/h202. I dont know what a pmp or a martha is but from what i read about them they sound too bulky for my situation. Although i have been thinking of buying a vicks cool mist for air exchange since my room is dusty and i have a dog i dont need to be opening the thing every two hours and fanning dust and dog hair in. Thanks for the response.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3286666 - 10/27/04 08:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I can't imagine how messy presoaking would be...  something I'll never ever deal with..

um.. PMP isn't bulky.. you only need tinnie ittie bittie space for pumps and the line. :wink:  You can use your current perlite instead of other stones mentioned, too.  :smile:

Here's the link.  check it out

Poormans Pod aka PMP

And since you are at it...check out this incubator, too. :wink:

Tub in Tub incubator aka TnT

Good Luck!

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinemetallicarules
Stranger
    #3286962 - 10/27/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I dont get how the air stones would provide air exchange if there is not air leaving the tub. Or are they to increase humidity? Can i use a vicks cool mist with the perlite? i hear they dont put off much humidity.

Offlinemetallicarules
Stranger
    #3286966 - 10/27/04 09:16 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for the links by the way the search system for these posts isnt too good.

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
    #3287023 - 10/27/04 09:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hey the humidity guage you have sounds like the grey piece of crap I bought from Wal mart. Am I right?

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3287048 - 10/27/04 09:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

cool mist only does 90%. I think it can go upto 95% if the RH in the room is very high. You don't seal PMP like you would with perlite humidification. On mine, the lids are pushed up a bit and the air leaves through the gaps. That's why it's automated.

Perlite in PMP will peg out hygrometers at 99%. It's really really good setup. You don't even need to fan. It's fully automated. Just put some water and peroxide in there every so often to maintain level.

You can also put the cool mist to the bottom of the pod. That'll maintain 99% humidity. it'll basically work like an air pump without blowing bubbles. I think for the money and maintence required, PMP is the way to go. just make sure you have at least 1" of perlite/geolite/hydroton/corals/lava rock or whatever you are using above the waterline.

Good luck.

Sam

--------------------

Offlinemetallicarules
Stranger
Re: perlite [Re: oddiseus]
    #3287062 - 10/27/04 09:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sir, you are exactly correct. I thought i had found a good one for nothing, i was wrong. As long as the sides of the tub are dripping i'll be satisfied. Its not a very big tub and it has over an inch of perlite in it.

Offlinemetallicarules
Stranger
    #3287100 - 10/27/04 09:33 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds good sam. Could i cut holes the sides of the terrarium and cover them with coffe filters because i cant leave my lid loose due to the dirty room and the type of lid it is it would be difficult to do. Also, do i just run a hose from the cool mist into the terrarium or is there more to it.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3287116 - 10/27/04 09:36 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah.. but keep the holes as high as you can and use tyvek instead of coffee filter. Coffee filters can get wet and breed the nasties. You can find tyveks at your nearest post office for FREE!!

Sam

--------------------

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #3287222 - 10/27/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Please to note:

- Condensation is caused by differences in temperature. If your terrarium is about the same temperature as the room, there should be little condensation. (It's the same concept behind why your glass of ice water gets wet on the outside)

- The amount of surface area of the exposed perlite directly affects how much water will evaporate, and therefore affects the Relative Humidity. For example, if you drown your perlite in water, the water will evaporate at a much slower rate than if you just half-submerged the perlite.

I.E.:

- In this example, the red line area indicates roughly the division between the submerged perlite and the exposed perlite. There is too much perlite overall; the submerged area should be cut down by about an inch. The amount of exposed perlite is just *about* right.

- The purpose of presoaking/washing the perlite is to reduce the amount of perlite dust that you will be inhaling. This is a big downside to perlite. It is cheap and readily available, but it crumbles into a fine powder very easily.

- The idea behind the Poor Man's Pod, as I am aware of it, is to do ordinary (Geolite - which is supposed to be better than perlite) humidification, but with the addition of "wand"-type fishtank bubblers submerged beneath the (Geolite). The PMP is great, but was probably not intended to be used with perlite instead of geolite (or geolite subsitute; I.E. expanded clay pellets). As the perlite crumbles, it turns into a sort of "cement" that can clog the bubblers. This is not hard to remedy, but it is important to consider.

- Get a good hygrometer. It is worthless unless it at least goes up to 100% Relative Humidity and gives you a number reading. One can find a good (analog) one for less than $30.

Offlinemetallicarules
Stranger
Re: perlite [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3287286 - 10/27/04 10:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Man thats a great picture. Thanks. Well since i already have the perlit e in the tub i dont really want to bury bubblers in it. i'll just cut holes towards the top, cover with tyvek (whatever that is i guess i'll find out at the post office), then run a hose off the cool mist into the terrarium below the holes covered with tyvek. sound good?

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: perlite [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3287306 - 10/27/04 10:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

wow!  someone paid attention in class. :wink:

I paid $12 for my hygrometer.  Uses 1 AAA battery.  It works well for me. :smile:

Well said, Land_Crab.  Just one thing.. Geolite isn't better than perlite.  But works better than perlite in PMP because it weighs more(no volcanic type erruptions in your terrarium) and doesn't stick to every damn thing you put in the pod.  Give you an example...  Geolite can't maintain 99% humidity by itself like perlite humidification can. :wink:

Anyways, 5 mushrooms for ya!

Sam

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale