Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewhitegreyhat
Huge

Loc: Northeast USA
on the trend of random "drugs" anyone take 5-HTP
    #3286838 - 10/27/04 08:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I recently was looking at vitamins and supplements at a local healthstore i noticed 5-HTP , it said it was basically a precursor to seratonin. *the chemical which is effected when you do like MDMA and LSD i believe or something like that

I went onto erowid. there were only about 2 experiences. I am not really a heavy drug addict and do not use drugs daily or even close. Most of them seemed from people who were just looking for cheap highs. I was wondering if anyone thinks this stuff has any potential or has anymore info?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJ4S0N
human
 User Gallery

Re: on the trend of random "drugs" anyone take 5-HTP [Re: whitegreyhat]
    #3287104 - 10/27/04 09:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

From what I understand 5-HTP provides the building blocks for your body to make seratonin. Most commonly used by ravers after taking ecstacy. Pot smokers also say it increases the high if taken an hour or so before smoking. I don't think its harmful at all.. should make you feel happier.. i'd be interested in knowing if it helps depression at all.

--------------------
"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media." ~ William Colby, Former Director, CIA

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3287136 - 10/27/04 09:38 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I have been taking 100mg 5HTP for about 2 months now in the morning on an empty stomach.... I find it to be a DEFINATE mood booster, with no side effects.... Some of the things that I normally find mundane or irritating at work are easily passed off with an eager smile.... When I don't take it, there have been no negative effects that I have noticed.... I have never tried mixing it with any other substances as a potentiator, was not really my interest.... I wasn't looking for a cheap high, and I wouldn't say that it even effects you that way.... A lot of people claim that they don't get anything from 5HTP, I guess I consider myself lucky then...!

Good luck, and do some research should you decide to try it and are taking any other forms of anti-depressents.... I do remember reading warnings (somewhere) about mixing 5HTP and SSRI's possibly leading to seritonin syndrome.... I can't substantiat this tho~.....

ChoW~

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlinewhitegreyhat
Huge

Re: on the trend of random "drugs" anyone take 5-HTP [Re: J4S0N]
    #3287144 - 10/27/04 09:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yah mostly i just want to use it to increase my mood a little, especially when i am going out or something like that. I have suffered from mild depression but nothing enough for me to take prozac or zoloft or anything.

I wonder why ravers take it after XTC so they wont get depressed?

j4son thanks for your input.

glimpy- no i am not taking any medications or antidepressents...

Edited by whitegreyhat (10/27/04 09:41 PM)

Offlinewhitegreyhat
Huge

#3287162 - 10/27/04 09:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i have also recently started taking melatonin, as a sleep aid as opposed to depressants or taking antihistamines, it is so GREAT, no side-effects, its an antioxidant and it works great. This had led me to believe in the power of hormones and such ...

InvisibleThirdEyeOpening
Lost In My Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: How the fuck should i kno... Flag
    #3287175 - 10/27/04 09:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

XTC depleates seritonin, 5-HTP hlps to compensate, frome what ive herd. Anyone know of any differences with shrooms and 5-HTP. Curious, dont want to wig out on a normal dose w/o knowing why.

--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

Offlinewhitegreyhat
Huge

Re: on the trend of random "drugs" anyone take 5-HTP [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #3287228 - 10/27/04 09:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

cool i am going to get some tomorrow after i get paid.

Offlineyewhew
Dead in Eternity

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3287398 - 10/27/04 10:26 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Hey watch it. Don't think now that 5-HTP is recreational. If you take enough you could be in danger of serotonin syndrome. Don't exceed 250mg if you know what's good for you. I don't recommend 5-HTP at "recreational doses" but 50mg a day can start helping your body synthesize serotonin. It is also very good for dreaming.

Have fun but be safe.  :sun:

--------------------

Edited by yewhew (10/27/04 10:27 PM)

Offlinewhitegreyhat
Huge

Re: on the trend of random "drugs" anyone take 5-HTP [Re: yewhew]
    #3287448 - 10/27/04 10:37 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

whats seratonin syndrome? doesnt an excess of it cause schizophrenia or something. i plan to take about 1-2 pills 100-200mg

InvisibleThirdEyeOpening
Lost In My Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: How the fuck should i kno... Flag
    #3288215 - 10/28/04 05:37 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"The symptoms of the serotonin syndrome are: euphoria, drowsiness, sustained rapid eye movement, overreaction of the reflexes, rapid muscle contraction and relaxation in the ankle causing abnormal movements of the foot, clumsiness, restlessness, feeling drunk and dizzy, muscle contraction and relaxation in the jaw, sweating, intoxication, muscle twitching, rigidity, high body temperature, mental status changes were frequent (including confusion and hypomania - a "happy drunk" state), shivering, diarrhea, loss of consciousness and death. (The Serotonin Syndrome, AM J PSYCHIATRY, June 1991)

"The serotonin syndrome is generally caused by a combination of two or more drugs, one of which is often a selective sertonergic medication. The drugs which we know most frequently contribute to this condition are the combining of MAOIs with Prozac (this should also include the other SSRIs) or other drugs that have a powerful effect upon serotonin, ie, clomipramine (Anafranil), trazadone (Deseryl), etc. The combination of lithium with these selective serotonergic agents has been implicated in enhancing the serotonin syndrome. The tricyclic antidepressants, lithium, MAOIs, SSRIs, ECT (electric shock treatment), tryptophan, and the serotonin agonists (fenfluramine) all enhance serotonin neurotransmission and can contribute to this syndrome. Anything which will raise the level of serotonin can bring on this hyperserotonergic condition."

--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order