Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Microscope, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Light during colonization? First grow.
    #3287051 - 10/27/04 11:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

My friend is taking the plunge, using the PF tek. It seems to say that the jars should have indirect light during colonization. Is that right? It seems to me that wild myc would do it's colonizing underground. (Or underpoop) I can see wanting it later to inspire primordia. Can it go in a warm, dark closet for a couple of weeks?

End of question. Stop reading now unless you want all the trivia.

The strain is B+ from Sporesouce. Good price. Fast delivery. The 12 cc syringe plunger was pulled back as far as it would go, so there was more like 14cc. Looked like clear water, even under magnification.

BRF was made, as instructed, in a coffee grinder. It came out more like Brown Rice Grit. Kind of like corn meal. I'm guessing that's OK.

One little variation was that the mixing formula in " PF ted for simple minds" was used. The example mixture was for 6 jars, and that sounded fine. It was mixed up, to the letter, and only made only 5 half pint jars filled to just below the threads. Strange. It was not packed down, but lightly thumped to settle it in. There's lots of air space between the grains.

That's a picture 3 days after inoculation. Still waiting for Santashroom to leave a good boy some mycelium. The jars are between 68 and 72 degrees F.

Thanks for reading. All advice appreciated.

--------------------
Don't panic!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Light during colonization? First grow. [Re: ticktock]
    #3287092 - 10/27/04 11:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That's too cold for incubation. They need to be up to 85 degrees for better results. No light during incubation, that's for fruiting.
And you should probably put a layer of dry vermiculite on top of the substrate to act as a buffer against contams.

Edited by DNKYD (10/27/04 11:33 PM)

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Light during colonization? First grow. [Re: DNKYD]
    #3287180 - 10/27/04 11:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Agree. you need to bring that temperature up if you want it colonized this year sometime...

I see big chunks... coffee grinder kind of chunks. no worries. That won't hurt the growth. And you know what.. compared to my jars, they look packed. Maybe should've fluffed it up a bit. The reason why it's more packed is because of the fine grade verm you used. I think you'll be fine, but it might take a few days or a week more to colonize. No worries.

Again, I don't want to get you worried, but just double check for me... Is that substrate(verm/BRF) I see on the bottom right of the picture inside the jar lid? I can't see very well because of the glare, but looks like the verm layer there is extra extra thin... just something to keep an eye on, nothing to panic over...

Also, in the middle right, I think I see some rice along the jar lid. Did you remember to wipe the top of the glass(the inside top 1/2" or so) really clean of substrate before putting dry verm in?

Sorry... I think your jar is fine, but few things to keep an eye on, you know...

Don't worry about spores... You REALLY need a microscope to see them.

Anyways... good Luck! Monster mushie wishies for ya!

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Re: Light during colonization? First grow. [Re: Sam1912]
    #3287300 - 10/28/04 12:07 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks guys. I'll bring the temp up and put it in the dark.

Sam,

The grind was kind of coarse, as you saw. It came out like fine sand or corn meal. After pressure cooking the rice bits expanded a lot.

The verm layer was about 5/8" thick. The jar in the picture was a bit disturbed. It was shaken to make sure the insides were loose and not packed. After that I could hear the verm moving as I tilted it back and forth.

Before adding the verm, the top was wiped clean. First with a finger, then with a moist paper towel. That bit of rice has probably migrated to it's current position during shaking and tilting.

Thanks all for answering. This is a great board.

--------------------
Don't panic!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Microscope, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation