Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
When you find something that isen't yours
    #3286759 - 10/27/04 10:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've lost tons of stuff in my life. Now I realize most of the time, trying to find the owner of a particular item can be hard, or even impossible.

You wonder how hard a person tried to return your wallet, if at all.. Did they take any money? If they were nice and sent your item back to you, or traced you down,spending effort, why would they do this? Aren't they aware the next bozo that finds an item they left behind is probally going to rip them off? Or do they beleive in karma, and find something they lost coming back to them exepecedtly after they return a lost item.... I think it can go all ways, and these things karma related could perhaps be something more then chance.

So, I found 2 sterling silver rings on the floor before class . After class I asked the teacher if he knew who taught before him and he said no. They are not extra fancy rings, the typical $10-15 silver rings( but they may hold sentimental value) ....I think back on how when I lost a silver ring of mine, my first ring infact, no one returned it to me. Perhaps it fell through a hole in my pocket on a run down the street. Perhaps I left it somewhere not thinking, gone any way . I think how I could add the rings to rest of the silver I have( I am a collector, from silver coins to cheap yard sale sterling silver scores, why? perhaps the greed that captivated even the earliest of soldiers,or the want to store wealth and items of value. I would say I have about 20 troy ounces of silver, but they are worth alot more to me then the near market value of the stock market. Perhaps the history of an item has worth for story and reflectiosn sakes. )..

Either way, I think I should try to find the owner.. right? Ever found something of value, a wallet, or a watch or anything and tried to find the owner?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: When you find something that isen't yours [Re: 2Experimental]
    #3286768 - 10/27/04 10:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ask people to describe their lost items so that they don't just jack them off you by telling you they lost them.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #3286809 - 10/27/04 10:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Sure, go for it, man.  It's called being a good person.  I don't really believe in karma, but good actions beget good things.  You might make a new friend.  Besides, you'll probably make them happy and that'll make you feel good. :laugh:

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

OfflineRedlined_Mind
Frequent Flyer

Re: When you find something that isen't yours [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3287271 - 10/28/04 12:02 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I can't say whether I believe in karma or not because I dont know the exact definition of karma and I'm to lazy/stoned atm to google it. I can say what I do believe is this:

If someone had returned that lost ring of yours in the past, you would probably have been surprised at thier kindness/goodness whatever. Now, at present, faced with the decision to try and return these 2 rings to thier rightful owner would probably a bit easier. You would probably (or at least I would) feel compeled to do the same for this person that someone did for you long ago.

Now, following this logic, the owner of these 2 rings will probably be surprised at your kindness in returning them and do the same for the next person, etc, etc. Now I don't know if this is what 'karma' is but I believe that one good deed in turn creates another. And the same with bad deeds.

Of course theres always gonna be that link that breaks the chain and hoards the items away for themselves due to greed but I believe in the underlying good in all people (maybe I'm a dreamer) and I think the majority would fit into the example I have described or at least learn to when they have recieve such good deeds bestowed upon them by others time and again.

So I say, yes, try and find the owner by 'reasonable' means. If you can't, no worries, but if you do I think you will recieve more than them by returning the rings in the form of knowing that you have made that persons day. Or something like that, lol, I'm really peaking right now, HAHA.

--------------------
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music" -- Kristen Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: When you find something that isen't yours [Re: Redlined_Mind]
    #3287533 - 10/28/04 12:54 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I always return what I found. Karma, you know.

And it has worked for me. I have lost lots of things, and they always are returned, mostly, with about 2 exceptions.

Once I left my wallet on the floor of a Starbucks, with all my rent money (in cash) in it. It was turned in, intact.

I couldn't live with myself if I kept something I found. It's not mine. Why should I keep it, just because some fool (like me) can't hang onto his/her stuff???

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3287544 - 10/28/04 12:57 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

try to find the owner - I mean, for real - no half-assed attempts. if they are unreachable, it's yours.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: When you find something that isen't yours [Re: Vvellum]
    #3287589 - 10/28/04 01:08 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I agree. Once, my ex found a wallet with money in it at a store. He asked the owner if anyone had called to say they lost a wallet. The owner said no. My ex kept it. (This was after he became my ex.)

I told him he should have left his name and number in case someone called. He wanted the money he found in it too badly to do this, however.

The wallet appeared to belong to a Mexican person. I have always felt bad for that person. They work for minimum wage. That money could have been his rent. My ex is a dick.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisiblephalloidin

Re: When you find something that isen't yours [Re: Frog]
    #3287840 - 10/28/04 03:04 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I found someones class ring back when I was in high school. Those things usually ran 100+ dollars and I was tempted to hold out to see if a reward might be posted. I turned it into the lost and found the next day. The guys name was engraved on the inside of the ring. Nowadays, I wouldn't even hesitate about returning it. I would even go out of my way to find the owner. It's not so much about karma, but just about doing what I know is right.

OfflineDice21
The Beginning ofthe End!
Re: When you find something that isen't yours [Re: phalloidin]
    #3287848 - 10/28/04 03:09 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You must return "the Preciouses" speaking in Smegel talk....

--------------------
Seven DayZ without laughter Makes one Weak,

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: When you find something that isen't yours [Re: Dice21]
    #3287862 - 10/28/04 03:16 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dice21 said:
You must return "the Preciouses" speaking in Smegel talk....

:grin:

thanks guys, I will put more effort into finding the owner.. I was getting lazy, I guess I figured they weren't much but I am sure somebody knows they are gone..

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#3287866 - 10/28/04 03:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i have an idea if you want to return it. make an eye catching note about what you found. then, post it somewhere very visible in the place you found them...

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3287868 - 10/28/04 03:19 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

to the thing it goes, the goes it things. as tehy say in france.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: When you find something that isen't yours [Re: kadakuda]
    #3288159 - 10/28/04 06:33 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

obviously i've lost and found things before
most things i've found, i've tried to return.. a lot of places have a lost-and-found, or at least will lie to you, take the item and keep it for themselves i guess.  that's a guess :wink:

but some things i find i keep.  sometimes it's just going to be impossible to find the owner.  and some things aren't really worth returning.

my favorite 'found' story:

out playin disc golf.  remembered the green, forgot the glass.  buddy and I sat down on a log to ponder our quandry.  I look down, point, and remark "wait a minute.."
we found a pen.
not just ANY pen..  but a decent-quality -metal- pen.
i actually quoted dragon warrior.. "fortune has smiled upon thee!" :wink:
no idea what a metal pen was doing along the edge of a disc golf course, except to wait there for the two of us

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

InvisibleJettaJay
PsychedelicStranger
 User Gallery

#3288216 - 10/28/04 07:41 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I found what I thought was a rolex in my bathroom at work. This is open to public and employees. I asked my manager anout it and she said she'd take it and if no one called about it then i'd be mine. I thought ok maybe I can sell this thing if no one claims it cause I DO NOT want a rolex. Turns out the president of the company left it there to see if anyone would return it or not. He thanked me and told me it was not real. I was kinda dissappointed but oh well it was fkae anyway.

--------------------
I saw a little green light buzzing around in a tree, and it dawned on me that "they" were here
~~~LouiseLouise

OfflineSilven
I trip,therefore weare.

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: When you find something that isen't yours [Re: JettaJay]
    #3288307 - 10/28/04 09:21 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The only real memorable experience I have had with giving something back that I found (I seem to lose things more than find them) is when I found a $20 bill on the ground at our state racetrack.  I hurried back to my mom (being I was around 12) and told her the good news!

She proceeded to tell me that it's not mine and I should try to find the owner.  Good advice from the ma, too bad it was lacking the one thing that matters.. the fact that anyone can describe a $20 bill.

I ran up to the place I found it, and there was a rather large woman standing in line at the consession stand and I asked her if she happened to lose $20 while holding it out in my hand, she IMMEDIATELY grabbed it away from me and said yes.  Afterward she was talking to her husband about the stupid kid who just gave her $20.

Heh, I hope she died in a car accident on the way home. :smile:

- Silven

--------------------
Born: 10/31/83, which makes me a Scorpio.

1) Scorpios are the most highly sexed of all the signs of the zodiac.
2) Scorpios are prone to excesses: booze, drugs, sex, bad puns, etc.
They usually exploit the weaknesses of others, who fall victim to
their capacity for total lust & sexual abberation.
3) Scorpios possess great intellectual curiosity & creative talent. They
think they are rebels & are arrogant, proud, conceited, and worth every
penny of it.

What do you bring to the table?

Anonymous

#3288339 - 10/28/04 09:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Try and find the owner? You're the owner now. You found it and now you have it. Who cares who had it before?

Ownership is a human invention anyway. The rings don't 'belong' to anyone to begin with.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub