Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleNOS4A2
Sh!tApple

Loc: notfarfromtheshittree Flag
A Q for the experienced hunter-
    #3286166 - 10/27/04 08:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm wondering how often you come upon actives that you can't identify, that don't fit any discription. As in new/undiscovered species.

I'm not a hunter but I love to check out what you find at the end of every day. Identification seems to be very challenging.

Kudos

nos

--------------------
Hail to the King, Baby
CulturingTech

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: A Q for the experienced hunter- [Re: NOS4A2]
    #3287131 - 10/27/04 11:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I personally see all kinds of mushrooms that I'm not able to identify on my own(ie: without a book). I can place most mushrooms in to a genus, but thats about it. Even then there are some that I have no clue about. I did find one mushroom that I believe to be a new species. I haven't confirmed this because I'm a slacker and haven't sent the prints/gill fragments off yet :wink:

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: A Q for the experienced hunter- [Re: Gumby]
    #3287436 - 10/28/04 12:35 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I was unable to identify the blue foot mycena in my avatar. I have also been unable to ID the active gyms that I have been finding for the last couple of years. Like Gumby, I can usually ID a mushroom to genus but sometimes not even that. Mycology is really still in its infancy so many species have not been classified yet. David Arora speculates in "Mushrooms Demystified" that new species are evolving faster than they can be classified. This seems reasonable to me given the wide range of variation possible when a single mushroom produces trillions of spores.

The sexual dynamics of the fungal kingdom also add to the probability of rapid evolution; thousands of spores from multiple parents can come together to produce a single colony/mycelium network/organism.

And if that weren't enough there is also the possibility that the theory of panspermia is true. This theory states that the seeds of life(spores and viruses) are present in space and when they happen to fall onto a watery planet they sprout and begin to evolve. These new spores and viruses(the theory doesn't say how they got into space) add to the existing terrestrial gene pool sometimes altering the genes of existing organisms and producing new species.

By the way, did any of you guys hear about that giant three tiered mushroom that was reported from Africa back in the spring? Supposedly it had three caps stacked top of each other like a wedding cake and the bottom cap was a meter wide. hers a link to the story.

http://www.africanconservation.org/cgi-b...rum=DCForumID16

I never heard anything more about it so I figured it was just a hoax.

Shit, I should be finishing a paper that was due at midnight.
:smile: :heart:  :mushroom2:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: A Q for the experienced hunter- [Re: shroomydan]
    #3287586 - 10/28/04 01:07 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have seen photographs of a very peculiar mushroom from Madagascar which is multi-tiered. It has a single, central stem and multiple caps that are smaller towards the top. I don't recall if they even had a genus for them, but multiple specimens were found. They were about 10 inches tall and the largest (lowest) cap was about 3 or 4 inches across. They were entirely white.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification