Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Dessicant, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Quart Jars vs. 1/2 Pint jars vs. other sized jars?
    #3285920 - 10/27/04 08:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The magic mushroom grow guide operates on the basis of 1 quart jars, and since it's the first thing that I read, I assumed that it was the standard. I've been reading a lot more lately and it seems that the 1/2 pint jars are the real standard. I plan to crumble and case my cakes, so I want as much substrate as possible to be sure to take advantage of the size of my terrarium. Is the danger in the longer colonization period inviting contamination, or is there another reason that quart jars aren't as commonly used? If this is the reason, would innoculating each jar with about 4-5cc in more sites help speed the mycelum establishing itself?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Quart Jars vs. 1/2 Pint jars vs. other sized jars? [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3286002 - 10/27/04 08:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

IME injection of more sites with more doesn't make very much difference. Once the mycelium starts to grow, it'll grow at a pace corresponding to the conditions you gave them.

I think the problem with quart jars is mainly the long colonization time. You'll get lots of myc piss in spots. Cake shrinking a bit out of proportion, pinning in jars, not colonizing completely... some of possible problems you can run into. Once you have the jars colonizing without contam, it's unlikely you'll get contam going in there using PF tek.

I think you should also check your jar... I hope it's without any lip. Cakes don't like tapered lips. You'd have to cut the cake up in the jar before you take it out for your casing. Not that big of deal, but a pain.

Using multiple 1/2 pint jars will help you move along faster and smoother. But since you have quart jars, why not try grains after this?

oh.. did you even make jars or am I just rambling?

Well. good luck, anyways!

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Quart Jars vs. 1/2 Pint jars vs. other sized jars? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3286111 - 10/27/04 08:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

First of all, let me say that, Sam, you're a god damn genius and a saint to the mushroom community man. Every interesting post that I read to soak up some information, you're on there with the vast majority of it. Thanks for being such a shroom nerd (no offense!).

Anyway, no I haven't made any jars yet. Why do you necessarily mention using rye grain knowing that I have quart jars? As well as the tapered edges, I got Ball 1 Quart Wide mouthed jars, which is what the MMGG suggested.

How deep should I make my substrate layer for my casing trays? That will also effect my number of jars as well. Right now I have 36 jars, my first round I did 24 and had no contamination. I don't wish to sell mushrooms or get greedy, but whenever I eat them, I have a group of about 15 buddies come over and we all BUY THEM and eat them.

I read in some previous post that you harvest about 1 LB dry weight in 6 terrariums out of 15 cakes cased? Is that right? If not, what is? My ideal goal would be harvest about half of that per harvest. What advice would you have for me to shoot for that?

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3286222 - 10/27/04 08:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Actually, I have 24 cakes and 6 casings.  Only fruited on 20 cakes and 4 casings.  Some cakes and casings didn't yield very well.  In general cakes of equal health make about same as casing(cake for cake that is) I'm really squeezing every square inch of my terrariums right now, but I'm gonna make another 2 terrariums this weekend for perlite/verm bottom layer casings.  I think, overall, 32 fruiting jars(in casings and cakes) gave me close to 300g first flush.  I'll have to check my logs to give you specifics.  Let me know if you want it.  Also, I didn't harvest all at the same time.  Good thing, too.  My drying chambers are only big enough to handle 3 harvest cake or 1 3 cake casing at a time.  I fan dry for 24 hours and then move to much larger layered desiccant chamber for cracker dry.

I think 36 quart jars is.. um..  well, bit too much.  36 1/2 pint jars, great number :wink:

Rye will colonize faster in general, I think.  It was about same for me, but I had few tricks up my sleeves for PF jars.(i.e. use of dex to prepare syringe and few other stuff).  And I think the yield is higher in general, too.  Casing will take up a lot, A LOT less space than cakes.  I can fit 8 cakes in 1 terrarium, but I can fit 3 3 cake casings in each.  And some cakes take up a lot more space and I only put 6 cakes per terrarium now.

So, since you have quart jars, use grains and make some nice casings.  I highly suggest you try cakes, but not with quart jars.

You can always buy some smaller jars to do your cakes, you know.  I say, right tool for the right job.  In this case, right job for the right tool. :wink:

Good luck!

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
    #3286287 - 10/27/04 09:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Is there any way that you could take some more intricate pics of your setup for me?
My terrarium is roughly the same size as yours and I have another identical container. How well do your casing trays fit inside your
terrarium, and what did you use as your trays? Also, how deep of casing/substrate layers do you typically have?

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3286328 - 10/27/04 09:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I really doubt that you can find same stuff as me.  I'm in a totally different part of the world than you.  And..  I don't know if I should be paranoid or flattered at this point...  surveilance?  Let's stick to the questions and answers for now...  :wink:

Sam

--------------------

OnlineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3286992 - 10/27/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quarts are much better in my experience because i always use grain and the pints dont leve much room to shake and break up. If your going with PF then your probably better off going with pints because theres less jars to work with and if you want 1/2 pint cakes just chop em in half.

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Quart Jars vs. 1/2 Pint jars vs. other sized jars? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3287297 - 10/28/04 12:07 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

My 1 Quart jar literally means the equivalent of 4 x 1/2 pint jars when all I am doing is casing the substrate doesn't it? So, Sam, when you suggested that I did 36 x 1/2 pint jars, should I only do 10-15 x 1 quart jars to case enough for 2 x 66 gal terrariums?

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3287340 - 10/28/04 12:15 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think pint jars are the way to go for you. I mean you should try it by all mean to go PF Tek, but for what you have, you should look in to grains, possibly rye or rye berries.

1 qt jar makes 1 casing for me. You don't want to fill the jars all the way up. You should have about 3/4 of the jars full of grains to colonize them so you can shake them up. That's about 3 cakes...

I can fit 3 casing in each terrarium, so think about how much space you want to devote for fruiting. You'll get your yield easily with grain casings. I'd probably do 5 today and 5 in few days if you got all the stuff ready. But you should also look into liquid culture like karo tek. It'll save you money and time.

Sorry about any confusion. I'm try to advise you to use qt grains, not cakes. I love cakes, and it's something you should try, but nothing something I recommend for your situation.

Good luck.

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3287873 - 10/28/04 03:23 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Different jars are used for different things.

1/2 pint-use for PF tek. Reason- BRF+Verm tend to colonize slower. In order to use it like the PF tek with the dry verm you'd have to fill it up all the way too..would take a while. Not only that but PF Tek is used for cakes generally. Quart jars are tapered at the mouth so you can't birth them as cakes. If your just using them for casings, rye is a better substrate (more fruits, more flushes) to use then BRF and colonizes quicker so you can do quarts of that

quarts-use for grains. Grains colonize quickly because you only fill them up about 3/4 of the way and you can shake them to distribute the myc. If you have a PC this is the way to go if you want substrate for casings.

pints-use for either.

I agree with Sam, go with all that get rye. Do some quarts turn this:

Into this:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Quart Jars vs. 1/2 Pint jars vs. other sized jars? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3287943 - 10/28/04 03:57 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I was hoping you'd give him some advice about how many jars to start with... tough one for me to answer, you know. I've never wanted this much mushrooms at any time...

Sam

--------------------

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
    #3288037 - 10/28/04 04:59 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

if kramer was a newb he would use 1 1/2pint jar for every dry gram of shrooms he needs (better to have too much than too little)

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Quart Jars vs. 1/2 Pint jars vs. other sized jars? [Re: george castanza]
    #3288057 - 10/28/04 05:11 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quart jars I expect 14-30 dry grams per flush for 3 flushes. 3 flushes are done about 6 weeks after going into the fruiting chamber. Ends up about 2 ounces over the first 6 weeks per quart sized casing on average, some more-some less. Make as many as you need to get that. After 3 flushes, its best to have new ones to replace it. This is horribly easy to do because even from spores a casing will only take 2-3 weeks to get ready to go in the chamber while the ones in the chamber will take 6 weeks (maybe more) before they are ready to be tossed. You can often keep them for more flushes, its just not productive to do so.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Dessicant, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation