Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePathos
A million pieces
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs
where the hell is my absentee ballot
    #3285702 - 10/27/04 07:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I still havent gotten it. First they sent it to my parents house, late, even though my current address was listed. My mom sent it to me on saturday, and it still hasnt arrived here. My brother got his very late, because they spelled his name wrong. There are over 60000 absentee ballots still missing in the great state of Florida. You cant call to complain because their phone lines are perpetually busy.

Everyone Ive talked to who is missing their ballot is either a registered democrat or undeclared. Whoevers in charge of the ballots must want Bush to win again. God I hate Florida

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleblackcat
Stranger

Re: where the hell is my absentee ballot [Re: Pathos]
    #3285720 - 10/27/04 07:32 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
Tripppppping

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3289224 - 10/28/04 02:37 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

So your mom mailed it to you and it still isn't there? Is your mom a Bush operative?

pinky

--------------------

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #3289246 - 10/28/04 02:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3960679.stm
Florida ballot papers go missing

Recounting ballots in Florida state
The result of the 2000 polls was delayed by a recount in Florida
Tens of thousands of postal ballots have gone missing in the US state of Florida, sparking fresh concern over irregularities in the poll campaign.

Authorities are investigating the apparent loss of 58,000 absentee forms in Broward County, north of Miami.

Florida was the centre of controversies which delayed the result in 2000, with George W Bush the eventual winner.

With five days until the poll, the presidential candidates are focusing their campaigns in crucial states.

The BBC's Rob Watson in Washington says Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida are seen as the most important of the 11 swing states - where either President Bush or Democratic challenger John Kerry could win.

The states are the most populous and therefore have the most electoral college votes, our correspondent notes.

The accepted wisdom is that whoever wins two out of those three states will win the election - and the latest opinion polls suggest all three are still fairly close, our correspondent adds.

'No blame game'

The missing ballots have fuelled an atmosphere of intense suspicion in Florida, with Democrats already backing nine separate lawsuits in the state, says the BBC's Justin Webb in Washington.

It looks like they're trying to steal the vote again
Diane Glasser
Florida Democratic Party

If the outcome is close and decides the result in the presidential race - and both of those eventualities are perfectly possible - it seems virtually certain that protracted legal battles will follow, our correspondent says.

Electoral officials in Broward County say they will send more ballots after being overwhelmed by calls from would-be voters, unable to get to the polls, who fear that their votes have been stolen.

Meanwhile, the US postal service inspectorate said it was highly unlikely that 58,000 pieces of mail had just disappeared.

A spokesman said inspectors were trying to establish whether the ballots were ever delivered to the postal service.

Broward County elections supervisor Brenda Snipes said the situation "isn't a blame game".

"What we're concentrating on is getting the ballots to the voter," she told the Miami Herald newspaper.

Lawsuits

Campaigners are working to ensure that no-one loses the right to vote because of the missing ballots.

Democratic Party legislators have called on the electoral authorities to publish newspaper ads telling people of other options for voting.

They also accused the Republican-dominated state government of dirty tricks.

Governor Jeb Bush - the brother of the incumbent president - has rejected suggestions of bias.

In 2000, Broward gave Al Gore his biggest margin among Florida counties. He won 67% of the vote there, while losing the state to George W Bush by 537 votes.

"It looks like they're trying to steal the vote again," said Diane Glasser, vice-chairwoman of the Florida Democratic Party.

Both the Democrats and Republicans have already begun filing lawsuits in states across the US, challenging different aspects of the election process.

Allegations of intimidation

Voting rights activists in Florida say the state could also face acute problems with vote-counting and the process of casting ballots in next week's election.

Early voting, which has been going on for more than a week, shows that new electronic voting machine technology is much slower than the old punch-card method, the BBC's Daniel Lak reports from Miami.

A high turnout could mean huge delays, our correspondent says.

Other concerns include accusations of voter intimidation by party representatives outside polling stations during the early voting.

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3289283 - 10/28/04 02:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

have you talked to any Republicans who haven't had problems with their ballot?

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

OfflinePathos
A million pieces
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs
Re: where the hell is my absentee ballot [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3293591 - 10/29/04 02:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

only a few, but I havent heard one republican mention a missing ballot.

And no, my mom isnt a bush supporter, quite the opposite. She requested an absentee ballot to avoid the lines, but never got hers, so she just went and voted in broward, where shes registered.

I finally got mine today, and hopefully it'll reach em in time for the election. I still suspect shanannigans

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #3296192 - 10/30/04 04:32 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

isn't this problem widespread in the more democratic florida counties? Gee, I wonder why...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion