Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHuman_Shield
Stranger
successes and failures Just starting out
    #3284240 - 10/27/04 02:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hello all, I?m a first time poster and grower and wanted to finally drop a line on this forum to share my successes and failures during the learning process

First thing I would like to do is to give a big thanks to everyone here for all the information. My girl and I have been gathering information from all over and have found this web site and forum to be THE BEST place for information. Its really nice to find a forum that actually helps people and not flames them for asking questions they think everyone should know. 

Ok, I have just gone thru my first Success/Failure this week. We started out slow. Ver/Flour cakes with a B+ strain. Cakes colonized great, got pin head a few days later and almost got to the point where we would have been harvesting, but I made a VERY rookie mistake and well, on too round 2 :smile:

During the first run I did run into a few questions and are searching around for some answers.

OK, Im using a TnT setup with an Aquarium water heater (25 watt). Using Perlite (about an inch thick) for RH and also have an Air pump with a basic humidifier attach for O2 exchange with humidified air (used in reptile tanks) I was having a problem with Tank temp (around 70) until I search on this board and found the reason (was running the air pump 24/7, putting the tub temp to whatever the room temp was (sound of me slapping my head and saying DOH)

1. Now, my tub temp is sitting at around 73, first thing I would like to know is how high should the water be in the bottom tub? Should the top tank be floating, or just enough to cover the water heater.
2. Next is how does one go about re-wetting the perlite once it dries out while cakes are present (this is where I made a HUGE mistake, took a spray bottle with water that was sitting in it for weeks and sprayed the perlite trying not to get the cakes. Come home 6 hours later green mold on all the cakes. Live and learn:0

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSilven
I trip,therefore weare.

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: successes and failures Just starting out [Re: Human_Shield]
    #3284296 - 10/27/04 02:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I couldn't tell you about water level in the TnT tek, but..

When I re-wet my perlite I do this:

Fill pan with water.

Boil water for as long as I think it takes to get all the nasties out.

Let water return to room temperature with lid on pan.

Dump water in perlite taking care to spread it all over the fruiting chamber. I also have a small spot in the middle of my fruiting chamber where a hole has been made in the perlite so I can see the bottom of the tub. That's how I measure the water in my perlite. I fill all around that spot and in the corners and when the middle of the tub hits around 1/4" then I stop adding water.

I also mist my perlite occassionally but generally spray the walls of my chamber instead. It doesn't hurt to spray your first initial couple sprays away from your fruiting chamber in case any contams have settled on your nozzle. I like to keep my spray bottle in a gallon zip lock baggy to prevent this.

- Silven

--------------------
Born: 10/31/83, which makes me a Scorpio.

1) Scorpios are the most highly sexed of all the signs of the zodiac.
2) Scorpios are prone to excesses: booze, drugs, sex, bad puns, etc.
They usually exploit the weaknesses of others, who fall victim to
their capacity for total lust & sexual abberation.
3) Scorpios possess great intellectual curiosity & creative talent. They
think they are rebels & are arrogant, proud, conceited, and worth every
penny of it.

What do you bring to the table?

OfflineHuman_Shield
Stranger
Re: successes and failures Just starting out [Re: Silven]
    #3284324 - 10/27/04 02:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks Silven, that what Ill do tonight before the next round of cakes goes in

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation