Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
New setup, no signs of life
    #3282876 - 10/27/04 04:55 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Due to traveling Europe this summer and moving I have had to start everything over from scratch. Old jars were to old and sat in to much heat so new syringes were ordered. Also switched to another source, a highly recommended sponsor source. The store was out of the old brand of Karo, so had to switch to another brand of it. Lastly built a new incubator. Old glovebox, PC and everything else survived.

Shot up 2 different setups of Karo. A 400cc Rubbermaid microwave heated one 4 days ago and a 200cc PCed jar 2 days ago. Both with 2ccs of the new syringe. They are showing no signs of life. Water is completely clear.

The Karo is labeled as Light Corn Syrup. It contains corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, water, salt, and natural flavor. The syringe contains a fast growing strain that I have experience with. It has a E and a Q in the name. The water is distilled. The temp it is kept at is between 78 and 82.

In the past it has never taken this long for little white flakes to show up, but as I said this is another brand of Karo and a new syringe.

Does anyone see anything that I may have missed, or did I just get a bad or old syringe and should email to have another one sent?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I am really hoping I overlooked something. Have always made my own prints and syringes in the past and I hate to complain to a great sponsored site if I overlooked something.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: New setup, no signs of life [Re: MadHatR]
    #3282930 - 10/27/04 05:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You swirl it around? It usually starts on the bottom and you cant see it till you swirl it. Sometimes it takes a few days. I'd relax and wait another week and if you can't see some nice white by then, start to worry. I hope you shook the syringe before using it?

Hmmm what strain has and E and a Q in it?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: New setup, no signs of life [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3282965 - 10/27/04 05:41 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yep I shook it up good. Also did the swirl on it. Really not used to used store bought syringes. Have had no need for them in a very long time. I know it is possible that it is a late bloomer so I'm not to freaked out, other than the fear that the WBS I got ready for it might have to be tossed out. Guess I just got spoiled on my own fresh syringes made from good strong fast growers. It just really messes with the timetable I got used to before I left.

Hmm, a E and q in it. It might also have a "uador" in the name also.. :smile:

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3282999 - 10/27/04 06:05 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If the WBS is pressure cooked it will sit fine for weeks. Store in a cool dark place and you should cover with tin foil. Shouldnt hurt to much if you don't (its just for water evap).

Hmm theres no Q in Ecuador  :crazy:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: New setup, no signs of life [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3283042 - 10/27/04 06:49 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I know there isn't, but the place I got it from spells it with a Q in it. :smile:

Don't wish to say the name of the place due to the fact that it would be premature to say anything bad about the syringes they sell. I have no doubt that even if it is bad that it is just a fluke and that they will correct the error.

You think it will be ok for weeks like that? I normally use jars within a few days tops, or PC them again (but that usually causes them to dry out a bit). I know PCing can't kill everything, just gives the myc a good head start on building up to fight them. I guess it can't hurt to try. At most I would lose $6 of WBS and Karo water that is pretty much a endless supply.

--------------------

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3283073 - 10/27/04 07:38 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MadHatR said:
I know there isn't, but the place I got it from spells it with a Q in it. :smile:

cough cough THE.. they ususally have EXCELLENT spores, the only place i order from.  It's only misprinted on the order page not on his detailed info about ecuador. Jars or bags will be fine for weeks.  They are sterile, I hope.  They will stay sterile.  My karo jars took about 4 days before i could even start to see the tiniest mycelium growth, but they are going.  PCing in essence is sterlizing the rye grains.  It kills everything, at least everything bad.  Hope this helps, cheers! :thumbup:

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: New setup, no signs of life [Re: derx]
    #3283194 - 10/27/04 09:00 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yea, from what I can tell by what everyone says about them they are very good. Great prices and the shipment was very fast. That is why I figured that I must of overlooked something or the brand karo I got had something funky in it that they didn't like, like the salt or something. Just the luck of the draw on slow starters I guess. Cheers

--------------------

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: New setup, no signs of life [Re: derx]
    #3283817 - 10/27/04 12:49 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MadHatR said:
cough cough THE.. they ususally have EXCELLENT spores, the only place i order from.

heheh. I'd give em a few more days, I;m sure its not a problem with the spores. They've always done me right, and only two days for shipping.  :cool:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation