Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
What the world wants...
    #3282022 - 10/26/04 10:18 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm sure somebody has posted this before, but I thought I would anyhow...

Here is a graph that represents the total annual world military expenditure ($780 Billion). Each square represents $1 Billion. The coloured blocks in the corner represent different problems that we face in our world today.

As you can see, the total estimated costs to tackle all of these problems isn't even a large portion of the anual world military expenditure. Here is a link to the World Game Institute website - where different strategies are explained for dealing with the different issues, and where you can find references for all the information regarding costs, strategies, and the severity of different problems.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: What the world wants... [Re: Krishna]
    #3282782 - 10/27/04 02:07 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thats a great graph. The spending has probabaly hit new highs in the last couple of years since the USA started "saving" the world. Its sad to think that we could solve the worlds problems if we just made less guns. Its almost like certain people have a vested interest in making sure this doesnt happen!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: What the world wants... [Re: GazzBut]
    #3282798 - 10/27/04 02:17 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
Its sad to think that we could solve the worlds problems if we just made less guns.

Guns aren't the problem, it's who has them and how they are used. Guns in the hands of government=trouble. Guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens=good. I agree, however, that it would be great if more money was spent on these causes and not on feeding the war machine, which is why I fully support putting it back in the hands of taxpayers so they can have the means to freely contribute to these causes.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: What the world wants... [Re: silversoul7]
    #3283051 - 10/27/04 05:03 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If that works great...but if you just end up with no guns, a relatively small minority of overly rich/greedy people and the rest of the world facing the same problems as outlined in the graph i would fully support a resumption of taxing, and Id even support making a few guns to take it by force if necessary.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#3283052 - 10/27/04 05:03 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Guns in the hands of government=trouble. Guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens=good.

Ha!Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!1

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Loc: UK
Re: What the world wants... [Re: GazzBut]
    #3283062 - 10/27/04 05:20 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

..is love, sweet lurrrve

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Good luck and blessings of happiness and fortune." ~ RandalFlagg RIP

Offlineoggleman
Stranger
Male
Loc: Chicago
Re: What the world wants... [Re: rogue_pixie]
    #3284308 - 10/27/04 12:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

How do you let law abiding citizens have guns and still ensure they stay out of the hands of those with malicious intent?

Guns are made for one purpose, to end life, thats it. How is having more of them around good for anyone?

Furthermore I think that cops should have guns. I'm not a big supporter of law enforcement or whatever, but an unarmed cop is powerless to do what they are supposed to do, which is protect.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: What the world wants... [Re: oggleman]
    #3284859 - 10/27/04 02:48 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

oggleman said:
How do you let law abiding citizens have guns and still ensure they stay out of the hands of those with malicious intent?

You can't, with or without gun control. So since criminals tend to buy guns on the black market anyway(I used to know some Crips down here, and can confirm that this was true in their case), it makes sense for law-abiding citizens to have them so they can defend themselves.

Quote:

Guns are made for one purpose, to end life, thats it. How is having more of them around good for anyone?

Because if I have the power to end someone's life, then they're less likely to fuck with me. And if more people carried guns, especially concealed ones, then no one could tell who's armed and who isn't, so even non-gun-owners benefit from the protection they provide.

Quote:

Furthermore I think that cops should have guns. I'm not a big supporter of law enforcement or whatever, but an unarmed cop is powerless to do what they are supposed to do, which is protect.

And why would you support a cop's right to protect people, but not the people's right to protect themselves? Sometimes there just isn't enough time for the cops to get there. Also, why do you trust cops with guns but not the general public? I've seen some cops before who I wouldn't trust with a BB gun.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3285143 - 10/27/04 03:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

An un-armed government is unreasonable. A government must be armed in order to protect its citizens from outside or domestic trouble.

If the United States government disarmed itself, a bunch of rednecks would stage a coup and impose Christian Law on the country. It would be like that South Park episode with the civil war reinactment and the S'more Snopps.

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: What the world wants... [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3285436 - 10/27/04 04:32 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

if you read the report, it doesn't involve disarmament (except for nuclear disarmament, which is something that we are supposed to strive towards, yeah?) - they are merely comparing the amount of money spent on the arms trade every year - ie countries buying new weapons from companies and other countries - countries selling their weapons systems to other countries and then buying newer weapons, and so forth. the graph tries to illustrate that if a mere 30% of the $780 Billion that the govt's of the world use to buy new arms was redirected, it could potentially solve almost every problem the world (especially the developing world) faces.

And a LOT of those arms sales are from Multi-national companies coming from developed countries (the US and Europe, mainly), and selling to developing countries (in, for example the middle east, africa, south asia,etc). These developing countries spend LOTS of money on weapons systems, the MNCs profit accordingly, and then, lo and behold, some dictator comes to power, some sort of war breaks out (civil or otherwise), and, what happens? poverty, famine, refugee crisis, etc etc etc etc etc!!! and then the united states (and europe) take it as their role to "fix" the problems of the developing world - problems that their arms sales largely instigated - and with solutions like NAFTA, FTAA, and WTO policies that, in my opinion, care fuck-all about the developing world and are only concerened with profit. why not end the cycle? we don't have to be peacekeepers and worry about our soldiers dying in iraq if we actually committed ourselves to rectifying the problems at their sources!

MNCs are selling arms to both sides of every war - in the end, corporation profits and humanity loses. yeah, silversoul, i agree with you that gov't shouldn't legislate morality, and - although i don't completely agree with you here - i see your reasons for saying that a person should have the right to protect themselves and their family, and thus own weapons. but submachineguns,missle systems, cluster bombs, landmines, mortars, etc etc etc - these aren't being used by people to protect their civil liberties from govt infringement! the world (esp. the developing world) is being played by corporate interest (and the american govt... wait, are those two still classified as seperate?)...

i just think that the western world should actually be held accountable for it's rhetoric of "we want to help the developing world."

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #3285607 - 10/27/04 05:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Why should we trust a government who doesnt trust its own citizens with firearms?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder