Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Idle background noise and meditation
    #3282163 - 10/27/04 12:50 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm wondering about the effects of idle background noise and meditation. To start, I'll use my friend as an example. For years and years now he has taken chunks of his day sitting in the bathroom on a cushion, in the dark, with the shower running. He'll just sit there and think. I don't think he was (but is now) actively trying to meditate (if that statement makes sense at all), but the fact that he had the darkness and idle noise I think probably helped him think really clearly. It's like something to always have a focus on.

I've tried the shower thing, but only once, and that was with my friend. And we were both tripping. And I have to say it was mindblowing. The ability to have all that idle noise just suck the active thought out of your head..it was crazy. It was almost an OOBE and I really wasn't on that much (it wasn't even a real psychedelic..but I won't get into that).

It kind of reminds me of the book Siddhartha (best book in the world IMO), where Vasudeva sat and meditated by the river for his whole life. He said the river was talking to him, and he listened. Now, comparing the river and the shower is quite a stretch, but it's still idle noise to align your thoughts to.

Now, does anyone else know if there is anything to this? Does anyone else really like idle noise? Do you benefit from it? I can't neccesarily use my shower, but I could use a fan on high speed, or something of the sort. It just seems like it would be a good tool to use to help meditate. Something to distract you from thoughts, and help you get to a point where you are used to it.

However, if it works and there is something to this, couldn't it be easy to become dependant on idle noise to meditate? I really wouldn't want that.

Thanks guys

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Idle background noise and meditation *DELETED* [Re: freddurgan]
    #3282190 - 10/27/04 12:55 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

--------------------

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Idle background noise and meditation [Re: blink]
    #3282256 - 10/27/04 01:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

blinkidiot said:
Try recording the sound of water falling and playing it on earphones so you don't waste water.

It's easier to meditate in that kind of situation (for me at least) because your brain is trying to find a pattern to something for which there is no pattern, and allows you to clear your mind.  It's also really soothing to listen to water.

1.) I don't use the shower :wink: I was literally talking about my friend.
2.) What you said about patterns is SO perfect. That is exactly what my brain was trying to do while tripping and listening to the shower. It starts off as just noise, but slowly it begins to develop patterns which obviously are not there. I guess your brain starts to focus on these patterns in some way. That is awesome.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

Re: Idle background noise and meditation [Re: freddurgan]
    #3282285 - 10/27/04 01:20 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i find rain drops to be the most soothing sound imaginable, just record a bit and loop it:thumbup:.  helps me to sleep too.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in
Re: Idle background noise and meditation [Re: TheDude]
    #3283163 - 10/27/04 08:46 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

lot's of brainwave generators use that kind of sounds (or storm sounds and forest sounds and all that) as back round noize for the binural wave...

it does help alot to have some backround noizes... but you're not suposed to focus on the noize... quite the opposit i belive!
when i meditate i aim to free my mind of interpetation of the outside world... so if i hear a car rushing by i would not think anything but simply hear the sound as it is (also avoiding the image of a car or the perseption of the sound as one that comes from a car driving by)

once a sound looses it's meaning and it's just a sound you kinda look at it from the outside like it's the first time you see it (hear it)

this also applies to your own body and thought...

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

#3296275 - 10/30/04 05:37 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Check also this link. It streams ambient - environmental stuff. Pretty nice.

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3296821 - 10/30/04 11:32 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.bwgen.com :: the Brainwave Generator.
enjoy!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub