Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
If everything is an illusion...
    #3281911 - 10/26/04 09:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

then what is there?
Personally I feel pretty confused when I think about life being an illusion because that thought would also have to be an illusion, the mind that thinks it an illusion...it's just brain boggling. I mean how or why do we think/do anything, or do we? What is our basis of reality? Thinking that none exists makes me feel like I'm going crazy, like the ground under me is gone and I'm just floating in space. But of course the me, the space, and the floating would all be false too? WTF?

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: If everything is an illusion... [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3281983 - 10/26/04 10:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ha Ha ha,

look at my location under my avatar. I can relate! Here's how I deal with it. I know many are still struggling with the concept that what they think is real is just an illusion. Turning it around makes it easier. Look at it as the illusion itself is real or the illusion is really happening or you are really here taking part in the grand illusion as a creator and actor of it and in it.

I mean something has to be real for grounding purposes. In this case, I make my experience of the illusion itself a real thing. That makes me my own grounding anchor. I'm still floating around in space but I am grounded to myself "the creator and actor" that is real within the illusion.

if you find your grounding for reality in deeming something out there to be real, when and if it collapses, you will have no ground to stand on. If you get use to the feeling of floating and flying, you'll be okay when what seemed real that you held on to and stood on slips away. Hold on to yourself as the creator of the illusion you participate in. Thats what gives me a sense of grounding control while floating and flying.

I hope this makes sense.

Some how,

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: If everything is an illusion... [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3282000 - 10/26/04 10:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

from the explanations ive heard of holographic universe's. its not that everything is illusion, its everything is energy. thoughts are energy, trees are energy.
the illusion is thinking the table is wood, rather than energy.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3282002 - 10/26/04 10:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thanks.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3282009 - 10/26/04 10:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The way I see it is that life is *possibly* an illusion, but we are still living the illusion, for whatever reasons. (I have my ideas on what these reasons are, based on my beliefs.)

Even if we are living an illusion, we have things to learn from this illusion. So, live life. Life it fully. Learn what you can. It may become important at some point in the future, for reasons that we cannot see right now.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: If everything is an illusion... [Re: BleaK]
    #3282142 - 10/26/04 10:46 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

and what Bleak said!

Try and tell me that the illusion of someone smashing my toe with a hammer isn't real?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinekbilly
earthwalker

#3282300 - 10/26/04 11:25 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

doenst mtter if its an illusion or not what you experience you stiil experience, if it is an illussion its the best fucking one ive ever had.

you can take eevrything away and start from nothing.
but because you can think there must be a you that thinks so i think therefore i am. - descartes.

illusion only has meaning in relation to reality eg this real, this isnt its an illusion if whats real to us is an illussion then illusion just means reality. after all we invented words.

however within reality there is illusion, our ability to percieve correctly is inhibited, by our brain filtering stuff out, determining whats useful based on previous experiences, which i guess is why if you do the same things all the time you are narrrowminded. your emotions colouring your perception is a very common illusion.

you have to put one past the brain every so often damn bastard, thank god for shrooms

so you may create illsuion or experience reality you may choose.

OfflineEilya555
GOD with a caseof amnesia
 User Gallery

#3282729 - 10/27/04 01:38 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

it's an illusion in the sense that this reality is all there is, which is perceived by 99% of the population. only the lucky few such as ourselves know that there is something better waiting for us. being in a projected illusion is a bitch but it's not so bad when you consider paradise is where we came from, and it's most certainly where we are gonna wind up AGAIN...peace...

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3282942 - 10/27/04 03:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

What is so illusory about a tree or a rock?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: If everything is an illusion... [Re: psyka]
    #3283096 - 10/27/04 05:59 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ya, what's up with people saying everything is an illusion?

I think the real illusion comes from our ego playing tricks onto ourselves.

But as far as saying that everything you see is an illusion, that's just sad. We might have a limited view of reality, but it doesn't mean that what we see isn't real. Its more like partial reality.

I don't know, when i hear ppl saying this kinda stuff, it makes me wonder what was the thought process that made them think that.

--------------------

InvisibleLakimada
Stranger
Re: If everything is an illusion... [Re: exclusive58]
    #3283142 - 10/27/04 06:29 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i have to agree with exclusive on this one

why worry about illusions when its not apart of living, no matter how much you comtemplate that all is an illusion, its not going to help you escape from living. its not going to change anything, might make you think and analyse everything more. but if you truely beleive that statement you would be living it.

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

Re: If everything is an illusion... [Re: Lakimada]
    #3283167 - 10/27/04 06:50 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Everything can't be an illusion because saying that invalidates the meaning of illusion.

Reality and illusion are polar opposites that cannot exist without each other as they are defined by one another. If everything is an illusion, nothing is real, illusion loses its meaning. Same goes for reality.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: If everything is an illusion... [Re: ninjapixie]
    #3283630 - 10/27/04 10:00 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

believing that reality is the grand illusion is not an ascapist point of view.

by grand illusion, i mean a couple things. that "god" is the one dreaming or creating all of this, and we are just his chess peices, or rather his errent knights out to discover/experience/think and feel.

also... everything we see is looks like what it is, but if you zoom in or zoom out, its not at all what it seemed to be... but there is no getting past that illusion we see. the illusion of the rock. there are vast spaces between the molecules of that rock. that blows my mind every time to think about!

to me believing in a grand illusion (reality as the grand uillusion of god) is just a way to re-enchant life, i missed out for a number of years... but now i feel like im not missing out at all, because im apart of the illusion.

woot

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: If everything is an illusion... [Re: Todcasil]
    #3283835 - 10/27/04 10:52 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

reality is an illusion. But the illusion, to all intents and purposes, is real.

you can be having a dream and suddenly realize you are dreaming. yet you can still enjoy the warmth of the dream sun on your face, the soft dream grass on your feet, the beutifull dream girl smiling at you as she walks by,

so how has realizing that the dream is a dream made it any less real?

it hasnt, not really.

the only thing is, now you know that you are dreaming, you can take advantage of that fact. now you can fly, teleport, do whatever.

The same is largely true of waking life. Once you realise its an illusion, nothing changes, except that you realize that the illusions no longer need to have any power over you. You need not fear the frightening illusions, but you also need not stop enjoying the pleasant ones.

Think of a mushroom trip. The Trip is real, even though once it ends it will just be a memory. So what? enjoy it learn from it, and when it ends, well go from there

:heart:

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3283867 - 10/27/04 11:00 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Why would you believe someone else's unsupported statement that "Everything is an illusion"? Don't try to fit an adopted idea into your world-view. It is OK to have your OWN view. The idea that "the ancients" were wiser and knew more is just another idea and has no basis.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
Re: If everything is an illusion... [Re: Swami]
    #3283873 - 10/27/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

if everything is an illusion then your theory doesn't have any basis either.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: If everything is an illusion... [Re: Swami]
    #3283891 - 10/27/04 11:05 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yes always believe whatever your own searching and experience leads you to think is true,

for some of us though, our experience leads us to think that life is essentially mahayana. an illusion, and for me and for divided sky, that realization can be potently frightening, AND potently liberating.

So i try to help him out, as some people helped me out. The realization of mahayana nature leaves you caught in limbo between two equally dangerous extremes, and it is important to turn that realization into one that can be productive in regular life

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

terms out of context are confusing [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3284007 - 10/27/04 11:37 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

everything is illusory, meaning, the whole issue of perception implies life is subject to interpretation and filtration.

usually everything is interpreted through habituated (learned) filters, in this way, usually, everything gets reduced to banal simplicity so that we may be efficient in our lives.

the more efficient, the less of "reality" we are attuned to, the more illusory our basis for decisions.

heisenberg is about something different, one of the wacky new age approaches to reducing information is to declare that physics and eastern mysticism collide or can be superimposed meaningfully, so if you are tangled up in the dancing wu lei masters you may be confused from a-z after you pay for the book.

in physics the similarity to illusoryness is uncertainty, and quantum measurements. Some things may actually be in 2 places at the same time. in personality it is more dramatic.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: terms out of context are confusing [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3284093 - 10/27/04 11:57 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If everything is an illusion...

the is not everything everything?
an illusion an illusion?

:confused:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: terms out of context are confusing [Re: Gomp]
    #3284490 - 10/27/04 01:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

And thus the Universe cancels itself out and we exist non-existantly on adjacent parallel planes connected by strings of unconnectedness! I'm un-MeLtTtTinGgg!

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract