Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCER
?
Loc: midwest
Prozac vs Zoloft
    #3281325 - 10/26/04 09:58 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hi, I am new here. When I did my search on the net for a BB that had topics on antidepressants this one came up. I did not know about he "mushroom" thing. I was in to big of a rush (lol).
Any way I am hoping to find someone who has used both Prozac and Zoloft to compare notes with.
In the past I have taken Prozac and had great results. You know that walking on air, clean everything within a two mile radius thing.
I have not taken Prozac for a few years.
The other day I went to my Dr. for my increasing PMS moods.
He gave me some Zoloft samples and told me to take 1 everyday for the 10 days before my period. 50mg.
The first day felt just like Prozac, and I did not sleep a wink that night. The next day I cut a pill in half. I had just a calm, relaxed experience. I went in for my workout (exercise juky) but, I was soooo unmotivated. This wouldn't bother me so much but, Zoloft is known for its weight gain side effects.
The next day I took another whole 50Mg's and I was drowsy all day????
What up? I was really looking forward to being a Prozac steam engine again.
I guess if I take 25Mg's for 10 days it won't be such a bad thing. But maybe this antidepressant is not for me?
Any input?

--------------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinequarkyquasar
Happy FluffyBunny

Loc: NorCaL
Re: Prozac vs Zoloft [Re: CER]
    #3281609 - 10/26/04 10:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

www.drugbuyers.com has alot of good info with first hand accounts.

I take Lexapro for an SSRI anti-depressant. I love it.

Edited by quarkyquasar (10/26/04 11:44 PM)

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3281652 - 10/26/04 10:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If you do better on Prozac, then by all means tell your Doctor! I swear by Zoloft, as Prozac makes me too jittery, but everyone's biochemistry is different.

OfflineCER
?
Re: Prozac vs Zoloft [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3284147 - 10/27/04 02:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Toilet Duk
Did you notice any weight gain?
I actually don't feel bad on 25mgs of Zoloft. I seem to be more centered. My mind is not racing all over the place, and I can focus on the task at hand rather than all the other stuff I worry about.
I know with Prozac I am speed queen. I think it appeals to my perfectionistic, get it all done in a day and lose 10lbs on top of that, personality.
So I am haven second thoughts on the Zoloft thing. If I gain one pound though....

--------------------

Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
    #3284968 - 10/27/04 05:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3286392 - 10/27/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, it will cause you to gain weight if you don't watch it. I gained quite a bit on it, although a poor diet was also the cause. I've been dieting and exercising more and have lost about 30 lbs, though. I think it's still a good anti-depressant for me.

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
    #3287707 - 10/28/04 01:43 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

he gave me some Zoloft samples and told me to take 1 everyday for the 10 days before my period.

You wont know the true effects of the drug for at least a month. You might feel weird while your body gets adjusted to the MAOI.

Do you smoke? Nicotine is an MAOI also and you can get weird 'hot flash' rushes while mixing the two, and can make you very sluggish. Especially when your first getting adjusted to the meds.

In the end the meds are trying to get your brain cells to mytosis correctly in a not so depressed manor.

The 10 day thing is prolly for immediate side effect issues, once your adjusted (if you stay on the meds) that should all go away.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Prozac vs Zoloft [Re: Civ]
    #3287734 - 10/28/04 02:03 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

you can try natural mood enhancing activities. working out and also maybe some classes in martial arts have helped many. gives you a greater sense of security and a better self image so you can avoid the "happy" pills. but that's just my .02 and i realize that this doesn't work for some people due to whatever reasons. good luck though.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Prozac vs Zoloft [Re: socratesmind]
    #3287804 - 10/28/04 02:52 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

you can try natural mood enhancing activities. working out and also maybe some classes in martial arts have helped many. gives you a greater sense of security and a better self image so you can avoid the "happy" pills. but that's just my .02 and i realize that this doesn't work for some people due to whatever reasons. good luck though.

Its a combo of all that. Your meds are just PART of your treatment. The goal of the anti-depresants are to get you out of your, how should I say "rut". Many MAOIs have assisted in getting people back on track.

You said working out and martial arts - both really good ways to release indorfins into the system and get your body back on track. Nice long hikes are good too, outdoor activities. Stuff that brings you closer to life I guess you could say.

I wouldn't call anyone taking anti-depresants on some kind of happy pill though. There is no high - and sometimes side effects. They have lotsa anti-depresants now and sometimes people have to change around until they find one that suits them. The main goal in the treatment is to get off the meds asap.

Maybe its our society that sets all these weird standards that don't work well with our human brains. Are our lives "natural"? Are we giving our ape brains a fair chance in this world we have created? (we??) Do we regulate just to conaminate?

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #3289012 - 10/28/04 01:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

you were barely on the zoloft though. you have to give these things time. the effects don't even set in until about a month later. if you like prozac better then for sure, go get back on prozac. but you cant really compare the two when you haven't really had the zoloft considering it had only been a few days.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineCER
?
Re: Prozac vs Zoloft [Re: Locus]
    #3289114 - 10/28/04 02:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well again this was suppose to be for PMS. I notice that it has helped me not feel so overwhelmed. I wouldn't necessarily say I am depressed these days. More like anxiety. Being I am a new mom and I have perfectionist tendencies.
I already work out on a reg basis and have for over 12 years now. I was an avid distance runner for 9 years but my knees can't take it anymore. I use an EFX machine at our YMCA atleast 4 times a week.
Lift a few weights and walk a lot. So this is not a problem for me. As I stated above I am an exercises junky.
I can see where Prozac would be great for depression and Zoloft great for anxiety.
Thanks to all.
I am cutting the pills in half so I have enough for 5 months. I will stay on it awhile, as I said, unless I gain weight.

--------------------

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #3289145 - 10/28/04 02:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

sounds good. and i totally understand the weight gain thing. i was on a few a few different antidepressants at one time in the past and they caused horrible effects and massive weight gain was one of them. it was really bad. that was a horrible time for me. such bad side effects. anyway, yeah, i dont think it'll be so bad for you considering you workout and everything. plus each drug works differently for each person. ive never been on zoloft though, not that it matters. ive been on tons of others. i know the hassle the can go along with trying them for some people.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinebbbaaa
Stranger
Re: Prozac vs Zoloft [Re: Locus]
    #3295381 - 10/29/04 10:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I never had much of a problem with side effects with perscriptions such as these so you may be perfectly ok.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being