Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinesoShroomHungry
Stranger

p. torch, to root, or to graft?
    #3279064 - 10/26/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

purchased as "t. peruvianus, peruvian torch" and it looks like it, what are those red balls? beginning flowers? or pups??
and this small branch tenderly broke accidentally off, so should it be grafted, or set in superthrive and stuck in the ground?(or be potted)?

the dark green cutting is a small san pedro, i forgot about it in some good soil and two weeks later it started forming roots on the side/bottom, should i let it grow or attempt a graft? These are some small pedro cuttings , calloused over. Better to plant, or to graft?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: p. torch, to root, or to graft? [Re: soShroomHungry]
    #3279119 - 10/26/04 11:21 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Those pedro are big enough to plant I believe. I have one slightly smaller that I rooted. As for the other cacti... they don't look like t. peruvianus to me.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

OfflinesoShroomHungry
Stranger

Re: p. torch, to root, or to graft? [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3279179 - 10/26/04 11:41 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

can anyone identify this cacti? *the top one*

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #3279275 - 10/26/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The top one could easily be a peruvianus that did not get enough light or proper ferts. If under lighted they often grow like that. It will not fully recover but with more light and proper ferts the branches will start growing thicker. Later, you can cut them off and root them.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #3279281 - 10/26/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

its a weird looking cactus!
looks like it's all stressed or something...
can't you get us a close up?

FH

OfflinesoShroomHungry
Stranger

Re: p. torch, to root, or to graft? [Re: felixhigh]
    #3279637 - 10/26/04 01:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

it was in the trunk for about a week, dont ask why, so its deprived of light AND food. approx how long will it take to get a dose worth while saving the tops for grafting? do they grow faster when you root them or graft them?

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #3280915 - 10/26/04 06:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey man...
Firstly, I really don't think thats Trichocereus peruvianus. The cuttings in the bottom pic do look like pachanoi but the top definatley not. I don't even think its a trichocereus at all although it could be.

As for grafting, graft them to what? Usually people use trichocereus as the grafting stock (as in the thing that they graft smaller cacti such as peyote onto), when you use them for that they've already got to be rooted and stuff. So yes I would say don't bother trying to graft that to anything, just plant em in some well drained soil they'll root up in no time.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #3280922 - 10/26/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

It took longer than a week for that top one to get like that. It will take months if not longer to get some decent sized plants. That's just the way it is with cacti. They grow slowly but you leave them alone for a while and they get big. That one I would repot and give it some cactus ferts or just some peter's and not water it too often but whenever it needs it. When the arms get to be about a foot long and thicker you can cut one off and root it and then later keep doing it. The skinny parts aren't going to get very fat but the new growth will be.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX
Re: p. torch, to root, or to graft? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3281041 - 10/26/04 07:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I doubt thats a torch...

Your only option is to plant because you cant graft cacti that arent growing.

You can water pedros every day or two. I fert every watering with 2-7-7 shults cactus ferts alternating 1/2 and full strength.

OfflinePsilopleix
Extended Symbol

Loc: aridzone1
Re: p. torch, to root, or to graft? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3281399 - 10/26/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Gr0wer said:
You can water pedros every day or two. I fert every watering with 2-7-7 shults cactus ferts alternating 1/2 and full strength.

Frequent watering may lead to root rot. Its more ideal to water when the soil is completely dry, the cactus will appreciate it.  :cool:
During the winter, you may not even need to water at all.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: p. torch, to root, or to graft? [Re: Psilopleix]
    #3285420 - 10/27/04 04:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well i water mine every 2 days or so and foliar feed every day with the lights off for an hour spraying em twice 30 min apart and they love it. Once you get the roots used to running wet they shouldnt rot. Just water small amounts every day, never fully saturating the soil, rather then wet/ dry cycling them as you would with weed or other plants. This is how to grow em quick.

OfflinePsilopleix
Extended Symbol

#3285945 - 10/27/04 06:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Through evolution most cacti if not all exist naturally in a hot, arid, desert type environment. Never have I encountered a cactus in the wild that is able to survive and thrive in the environment you describe.

Not to sound abrasive, its just my observation.

I've heard of foliar feeding with the popular Christmas Cactus, but never with pachanoi or peruvianus. Does this work well? Do any other gardeners use this technique?

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

#3286469 - 10/27/04 07:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I too have noticed that frequent watering makes Trichocereus and Peyote CRANK!!

Sure they can tolerate it a lot dryer, I used to only water mine once every 1-2 weeks in summer, but then I saw how fast my friends cacti were growing and I said whats your secret man? He said give em plenty of water, like once every 2 days, and a bit of fertilizer. So I started doing that and man it worked! You only do that when they're in growth season getting plenty of light, in winter I cut it down to once a month watering or even less.

When watering frequently yeah I guess it is wise to watch for root rot, but personally, mine have never been anything but super healthy when I give em lots of water. Apparently San Pedro grow in quite moist conditions in the wild anyway.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: p. torch, to root, or to graft? [Re: zee_werp]
    #3286523 - 10/27/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yep, most fast growing cacti come from wetter climates (usually South America) and will relish in frequent watering during the growing season.

Where abouts in NZ do you live zee. I don't know anyone else in NZ who grows pedro, it would be nice to trade live plants and seeds etc.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

#3286760 - 10/27/04 08:46 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Psilopleix, i speak with experience. Just beacause Weed grows naturally crammed close together and can survive the worst conditions dosent mean thats how they like to grow.  With all plants/cacti love em often and they'll love you back. :wink:

My 4" pup is growing around 1" a month now, and thats under shitty floros. I heard peyote can be a bit touchy with overwatering compared to pedros. Pedros can stand daily watering when in clay pots under the sun or MH's.

Foliar feeding seems to be working great for me. Its great because you can supply the plant with more nutes and water then the root system alone can supply. About a week after starting the foliar feedings my pups came out on all 3 logs I planted and they didnt show dick before that and they were under full floro light for ~6 weeks. I could just be a coincidence but i think it was the feedings that triggered the growth. I have noticed they are a much darker green now though.

I was also foliar feeding My HBW but i had to stop because the leaves were getting real dark and i didnt want to burn it. Now i just feed the new leaves till they match the rest and foliar feed once every week for boosted growth.

Today i started feeding a 2x strenght mix on the cactus (2 tsp per gal of 2-7-7), im going to use that from now on unless i see any problems.

Im even thinking about incorporating an automated foliar feeding system to go on every night after the lights go off once i go hydro over winter. Only thing is the pumps to run high pressure foggers are expensive and so are the misters... Mabey i could try just use 2 cool mists coming from opposite ends to get both sides of the cacti nice and misted. Im thinking run em without the hose mod and mabey even some extra holes so they throw out large particles in all directions.  One hour of misting should do the job perfectly. FYI im going to be making aerospring style sytems for my collection. http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/1219  I'll have 2" netopts for the Pereskiopsis, 3" pots for the grafted Pereskiopsis and 5" netpots for the pedro/torches.

OfflinePsilopleix
Extended Symbol

#3286960 - 10/27/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thx for your patience Gr0wer; it seems from your experience, and the experiences of others that the practice of frequent watering benefits the growth of pedro. which is good to know because most my cacti are in clay pots. i wouldnt mind doing some foliar feeding as well.

thanks again,
Gr0 on... :wink:

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

#3287074 - 10/27/04 09:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Feel free to experiment man. One of the key things when foliar feeding is to have the lights off, or at night in cas your outdors, so the light dosent make the water evap. Also with high intesnisty MH's and the sun you can burn spots from the water droplets having a magnifying glass effect. Foliar feeding works great for almost any plant/cacti so dont limit your loving to just your cacti.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: p. torch, to root, or to graft? [Re: faslimy]
    #3287715 - 10/27/04 11:49 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Cool, foliar feeding sounds worth a shot, I love to try different things to get those pedro's pumpin out the areoles like a machine gun!

Another good tip I've found with San Pedro, is that they really LOVE horse shit. The fastest growing ones I've seen have been planted in large tubs (say, 20-40 litres), straight from cuttings. The mix used was 1 part sand, 1 part soil, and 1 part dried horse shit, but then put the cutting in a little burrow of just sand for when its initial roots come out and not ready for nutes, say a 2cm barrier of sand at the base. Then a layer of pebbles and stones at the top to keep the cutting steady while it roots. Seen plants go from calloused cutting in spring, to 30cm of fresh growth by autumn, and throwing out pups.

Faslimy, I'm in Dunedin at the moment, in a month or so I'm going to head up to Nelson for orchard work and generally chilling out and all those other things people like to do in Nelson :wink: Got a few cacti going down here but my biggest ones are up in Nelson they are far too large for me to transport (2 meters ish). Where you at? Drop me a PM about trading or something.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

#3289315 - 10/28/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I use composted manure with my cactus too. However i stay away from sand and just use 2-3 parts potting soil with added pearlite + 1 part composted manure.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

#3289591 - 10/28/04 01:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah perlite is as good as using sand, here in NZ perlite is expensive but we have plenty of nice river sand to go around so I end up using that.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate