Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenubby
Stranger
preparing media below boiling
    #3280618 - 10/26/04 07:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Long time reader, first time poster.

Can you prepare jars for inoculation with just the tap off a hot water heater? Someone turned theirs up and got it to about 190 deg fahrenheit, about 93 deg celsius. Most hot water heaters are about 40 gallons, that's a buttload of hot water. Couldn't someone load a picnic cooler with quart jars and just continually run a stream of hot water around them, never letting the water get higher than half way up the jars? The logistics would be a bit tricky, but my main question is if holding jars of, say, millet, at 180 or 190degF is sufficient for inoculation with mycellium?

If it is, it'd be a great way to prepare more jars than one could on a stove.

suggestions, modifications, and experiences are all welcome.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: preparing media below boiling [Re: nubby]
    #3280933 - 10/26/04 08:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'd bet that 'tyndallization' is about the only possible way. . .from the FAQ:

Quote:

Another, more time consuming method is the fractional sterilization. In this case, the jars fitted with a filter or a polyfil lid filter are boiled or steamed 212?F (100?C) for 30 min in a covered pot, three days in a row. Between the boiling steps the jars are best kept warm, around 30?C, to allow the remaining spores to germinate. The basic principle behind this method is that any resistant spores should germinate after the first heating and therefore be susceptible to killing during the second and third heating.

You wouldn't be able to attain 100C from a hot water heater, but perhaps the principle would hold. Honestly, if you wanted to do fractional sterilization it would be just as easy to boil on a stove. It would waste a lot less water, too. Of course, the advantage of using moist pressure [PC]; in addition to being hotter, it's a 'penetrative heat'. Contam spore coats are tough nuts to crack. Fractional sterilization goes about dealing with them in a different way. Keep in mind, I haven't read m/any posts from people who claim to use it with success. [not many from people who have tried, either]

In any case, it would take more than one exposure to 190F to confidently sterilize a jar.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology