Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Rye Grain, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejustaname
Stranger
total outputs vs. setup size
    #3280240 - 10/26/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hi all,
I will be starting my first attempt at growing shortly, and need a little guidance on how much yeild I can expect to get from my, yet uplanned, setup. I am shooting for 1lb (dry-weight) harvests, but I don't know how many cakes I would need to colonize. Assisting me in this endeavor is a friend who has grown before, but on a smaller scale. Neither of us have any idea how big a grow would have to be in order to yeild the output we want. To clarify, I would like to be able to harvest 1lb total from each cake, including 'dunking', before having to re-inoculate.

Any advice on what setup/strain/techniques to use, and how big this setup would have to be would be greatly appreciated. Cost is not a huge factor, space, however is slightly restricted (I would like to have this setup in a closet)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: total outputs vs. setup size [Re: justaname]
    #3280302 - 10/26/04 06:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If you do cakes, you'll get 1-7 grams per cake.. probably around 3g per cake.. and you'll likely to get 3 flushes on the average.. so you need about 50 cakes. But you'll lose some to contam, so more like 70 cakes. That's a lot of real estate IMO, since I only fit 8 cakes per terrarium. If you case the, though, you'll get a lot more out. 3 cake casing with 60/40 should give you 200-500g wet. Expect 30g dry per flush. 3 flush per... about 15 jars.

These are PF cakes. I'm sure grains give you much better yield.

I don't know what kind of time line you are looking at, but since little experience, start with PF jars, and few days later when you feel more comfortable with sterile techniques, cook up some rye jars. Of course you should do a liquid culture at this point. You should end up with 5-10 casing to suit your appetite. I fit 3 casings in each terraium. But if you do a whole closet set up, you'll have more than enough space to go around.

Good luck

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinepizzle3k
Midwest Mushin!
Male

#3280306 - 10/26/04 06:12 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

boy do you have some homework to do.. but first welcome to the shroomery and browse the FAQ section there you will find answers to about all your questions...now if u wanna a pound dry and have never grown before...dont count on it. For a first timer you'll be lucky to get anything over an 1/8 ounce to a 1/4 ounce dry on each cake.so add that shit up 8 1/8's to a ounce and 16 ounces to a pound your looking at about 128 cakes if i was u i would go bulk...but you can find out how to do that in the FAQ.. maybe someone else will pick up where i left off...but Good Luck

Offlinejustaname
Stranger
    #3280364 - 10/26/04 06:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the info. i have a friend who has grown before with some sucess, he did jars (from the description he gave me, it sounded like the 'pf tek' in your FAQ section.) He had an offset system going harvesting a few grams each day, but his setup was mostly just for headstash. time line is not too restrictive. I mean, I'm looking at a 6 month window, and from what I've read that so far that will be more than enough time for a decent net output. I like the idea of doing large grain casings, but my friend is unfamiliar with this method (we really do still have alot of research to do).

anyways, thank you for all the information thus far.
pizzle (or anyone else for that matter), do you mean go bulk in the sense of bulk purchasing of supplies, or are you refering to something else?

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3280465 - 10/26/04 06:48 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If you have that much time, start out small. Stick with PF jars. Get a dozen jars and fruit them as cakes on few(I like cakes), and case the rest. After about 2 weeks of using this board, you'll feel more comfortable with casing.(Casings have good yields and takes up a lot less space than cakes). Also, after working with jars a bit, you'll be better with next set of jars... I think most of us start out with small number of jars and end up with quite a few within a month.

Just stick with it and learn everything correctly. Don't try to take shortcuts. Cost of 6 automated terrariums, 2 incubators and all the supplies cost me around $200.

I seriously advise you to stick to learning and keeping it ideal. Don't concentrate so much on speed or yield. They'll come naturally if you just stick with good advices.

Just so let you know... I started with 15 jars exactly 1 month ago, then another 15 on Sept 29, and my harvest is almost pound dry and harvesting more every day. Of course, I did make more jars along the way, but most yields are from about 20 cakes(as cakes and casings).

Go read up some. Your friend will be a help, but he can also lead you in wrong direction unless he had super success with his grow. So, ask a lot of questions, and read a whole bunch more. GL

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineSilent_Echo
~~Psychonaut~~

Loc: Inside My Head
Re: total outputs vs. setup size [Re: Sam1912]
    #3760694 - 02/10/05 08:56 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

go with mycobags man, im currently using 24 mycobags, each one (in my expierence) gives about 1/2 ounce dry (about 150 grams wet) per bag on the first flush and slowly tapers off, somtimes (depending on strain) it will get bigger with each flush, but ok 24 mycobags x 15 dry grams...thats just the first flush. ive had good luck with them, everyone on the boards like to flame people like me who do bulk grows with mycobags, but i dont care! THEY WORK!! and usually you dont get contams if your sterile when you inject. 1 syringe will go to 4 mycobags...order from TLG he hooked me up with a free syringe of malabar! thanks TLG! but anyways there is also casing the mycobags, just wait for them to completely colonize and then just case em with whatever mix you want to. will get an EXTREAMLY big yield. just my 2 cents...

peace :mushroom2:
Alex

--------------------
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.
-Bill Hicks (R.I.P)

Invisiblefart
fartin up astorm in here
Loc: east coast
Re: total outputs vs. setup size [Re: Silent_Echo]
    #3760738 - 02/10/05 09:29 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

well so u want a dry lb and this is your first grow. all i can say is good luck but i will point you in the right direction. read this thread study it.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3026085/page//fpart/all/vc/1

--------------------
Ya pussy is awsome.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Rye Grain, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation