Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Cutting cactus question
    #3278503 - 10/26/04 09:19 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well, i want to cut the 18" branch off my cactus and root it by itself so it gives a chance for the smaller branches to grow faster next season.

My question is, if i cut it and root it now, will it be capable of establishing a sound rootsystem throughout the fall and winter (@ standart room temperature and ambient light)?

If it was capable of doing so, i figured it is better to cut it now rather than waiting till the beggining of season. It would have a headstart and probably have well established roots that would allow for an intense watering and fertilizing regimen right from the start of spring.

What do you people think? Better to cut/root now, or only in the beggining of the growing season?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: Cutting cactus question [Re: esin]
    #3278621 - 10/26/04 10:30 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, I don't see any problem in cutting and rooting it now. I did this with several top parts of Pedro's last fall, and now its spring (I'm in the southern hemisphere) they are rooted up and just starting to grow vertically too.

I think its actually an ideal thing to do, because while roots are forming you don't actually want the plant to be trying to photosynthesise too much, as this uses up its energy stocks and the growth that it does manage to put on will not be very fat or vigorous. So even when rooting cacti cuttings in the summer it is advisable to store them in a ambiently lit area until they are rooted rather than in full sun - and then you wean them on to sunlight when they are ready.

By doing your cuttings over the winter all this happens automatically - your roots get a chance to grow, and then the freshly rooted plant is naturally weaned onto sunlight as daylight hours increase (provided its in a windowsill that gets sun).

My main piece of advice would be to just make sure that it is calloused properly before you plant it, and use well draining mix with some sand added in. Keep an eye on it if temps get too low they can get a little soft but just have faith mine got pretty soft until they rooted up and now they are plump and firm and growing nice new dark growth!

Oops a bit of a long winded post for a simple question ah well ya know how it is with da 'erb :wink:

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX
Re: Cutting cactus question [Re: zee_werp]
    #3281190 - 10/26/04 09:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Winters the best time to take your cuttings beacuse you dont miss out on the growing season.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden