Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Tip's for being a good trip sitter/guide?
    #3277592 - 10/25/04 11:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I have a friend who will be ingesting her first big dose of mushrooms. (4g's) She has done over 3g's numerous times and feels she would like to go further.

I have given her the Psychedelic Experience to borrow and read over and over, and she has told me that she is meditating daily. She wants me to be there as a trip sitter/guide to help her out and support her if things get hairy.

I probably will be on a low (1.5) dose of mushrooms so that I can be nearer to her "space." I know this trip is very important to her, and I know that only *she* can navigate those internal realms.

Any suggestions on being a good trip sitter or guide? I've never trip-sat for anyone before, but I have had people sit for me and I know what I did and did not like about them being there. But every person is different.

So can anyone offer any tips for me in this area?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

Re: Tip's for being a good trip sitter/guide? [Re: MOTH]
    #3277777 - 10/26/04 12:03 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yeah be strong next to her. if she falls weak during the journey, support her. try not to say things that will make her think unnecesary things.
I think support is the key word when it comes to sittering.

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Tip's for being a good trip sitter/guide? [Re: BanJankri]
    #3277819 - 10/26/04 12:28 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

BanJankri said:
I think passive support is the key word when it comes to sittering.

It's all about her if you are the sitter, she dictates what you do.  If she dicates nothing, do nothing.  Have a good book handy :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Tip's for being a good trip sitter/guide? [Re: blink]
    #3277944 - 10/26/04 01:32 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think I have some tips no one has mentioned, but you seem like a well informed person who has probably thought of these things.

Try and write down or record the sorts of things your friend says, the insights she has, etc, so that after her trip, she can go back and look at what she was going through. Sometimes trips are so mindblowing that it's hard to remember everything from them and a few notes might serve as excellent memory aids to recall the trip.

Second, have some good food for your friend as they come off of the trip. No elaborate production, but if your friend wants to eat it would be nice to have something delicious made up that would be easy to pull out.

Third, and this may be off your topic a little bit, but a high dose of mushrooms indoors pales in comparison to the same dose outdoors. If possible, get your friend outside for the experience. I took a huge dose of mushrooms (over 1 oz of wet cyanescens) and was outside while I peaked and it was unbelievable.

It almost goes without saying to unplug the phone, turn off the TV, etc.

Lastly, one thing that always really really sucks taking msuhrooms around people is their tendency to go "Do you feel it yet? Do ya? How about now? You feel it yet? Whatchya feeling? You seeing demons yet?" Avoid doing stuff like this.

I think a guide and a sitter are two way different things. A sitter is there to make sure the person doesn't start trying to get the worms out of their skin with razors, while a guide does more then ensure safety. It might be a good idea to discuss with your friend what she thinks the terms "guide" and "sitter" mean, because what is in her head about your role in her trip could be different then what we think these terms mean.

I've read a lot of your posts, and you seem like the type of well informed, balanced, stable person that would be great in this role. I've been privledged to be around people using ethnogenic mushrooms for the first time a lot recently. Although your role is supportive, I'd also add that you can learn a lot watching someone else go through this sort of experience, and one part of being a great guide is for you to take something positive from the experience as well.

I'd be interested in hearing how your experience in trip sitting went, so that I could improve in this role as well.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineI2ancid
josh hartnett,movie star actor
 User Gallery

Loc: psycholand
Re: Tip's for being a good trip sitter/guide? [Re: tomk]
    #3278046 - 10/26/04 02:26 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

FOOD, Macaroni and cheese, wine, jiffy brand peanut butter and basic food groups are perfectly applicable and introducable to the tripper during the come down.

They will enjoy your fruitfull consideration to their happiness and in a state of ego blinding they will see you care and deep inside it will be noted and it will travel with them for the rest of their life as other similarly care for them.

An explosion of happiness at the summary and combination of all good that has been offered out of caring and unity of individuals as a whole will surface causing a defining moment in their life that overcomes evil and produces an ally of love.

--------------------
I went to st thomas and camped out ontop of the island... Despite my entire family being poor all my life, the land is priceless.
I was chased by haitians in the main city charlotte amalie when my girlfriend and I got some cocaine for free in a bar and mixed it with alcohol, to form a stronger drug. With such confidence at 2am, we walked the 4-5 or so miles down to the beach where the african slaves lie like lions waiting on tourist prey.

The war isen't on drugs... the war is on the causes that influence people to abuse drugs. drug-abuse is a by-product of the system and much like radioactive waste occurs from utilizing nuclear power, drug addicts with drug-problems will need to be properly disposed of, like the decaying radioactive waste produced from nuclear energy. -i2ancid

OfflinekLaWsRauGHt
Seeker of innertruth
Male

Re: Tip's for being a good trip sitter/guide? [Re: tomk]
    #3278049 - 10/26/04 02:27 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

(in awe of tomk's amazing post)

--------------------
"I love the expansiveness of thought, i detest the morbidity of the mind"

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: Tip's for being a good trip sitter/guide? [Re: kLaWsRauGHt]
    #3278547 - 10/26/04 07:59 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, that was a great post, I may add it to the Tripper's FAQ.

I love how he explains the difference between a sitter and a guide.

On that thought, as a sitter, you should do as little as possible...

As a guide, indoors... you are sorta' responsible for set and setting.

You should play DJ. I like playing some Tim Leary at or near the peak. He's a better indoor guide than I.

Outdoors, I am more shamanic, I can't help it. I talk more, I guide more. It feels very natural. Outdoor guides are still sorta' resposible for the set and setting.

Remember, the best way a guide can help a frightened tripper is to change location, lighting and/or music. Remind them to move towards center, to move towards the light... that the trip will end. Most of the time, this isn't a problem.

Chants, meditations and eastern music helps me stay in a "Zen" state of mind.

Have fun and tell us all about it... 5-7g is really considered a large dose... 4g may not be THAT different for your friend. I'm sure the meditation and Psychadellic Experience WILL make the biggest difference in her tripping.

Ellemysh, you may wish to take a bit more than 1.5g just to make sure your trip lasts as long as hers. My 1.5g trips only last around 3-4 hours nowadays.

:wink:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Tip's for being a good trip sitter/guide? [Re: Rose]
    #3288187 - 10/28/04 05:03 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys, I meant to write back to this sooner but got sidetracked. 

I talked to my friend today, and she is ecstatic about reading the Psychedelic Experience.  She said that Dr. Leary articulates so well what she has always wanted to say about her psychedelic experiences, but was unable to.  I know exactly what she means by that.  That book is a godsend. 

Thank you so much for the responses.  I asked her yesterday if she would prefer me to be a sitter or guide, described each, and then she promptly said "guide."  I think that this will be an incredible experience for both of us.  There's a lot of great posts in this thread and I have taken all suggestions to heart. 

I'll keep everyone filled in with how it goes.  :sun:

OfflineDaft_Destroyer
Rebel without aclue
Male

Loc: Longitudinal Centre, Cana...
    #5902632 - 07/26/06 06:45 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

There isn't any need for a sitter. If your friends are doing mush responsibly, as not taking doses that are too big for them, they'll be able to act fairly rationally. They'll be laughing and tripping out, but they'll still be able to realize what's safe and what isn't. No one's going to run into a busy street or shit like that.

If you insist on being a sitter, just chill and enjoy watching your friends have fun.

--------------------
"Welcome to Oakland, bitch!"

OfflineMustardMan
Peace Frog
Male User Gallery

Re: Tip's for being a good trip sitter/guide? [Re: I2ancid]
    #5902706 - 07/26/06 07:16 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I2ancid said:
FOOD, Macaroni and cheese, wine, jiffy brand peanut butter and basic food groups are perfectly applicable and introducable to the tripper during the come down.

I agree, along with weed, I've had some of the best munchies ever coming down from shrooms.

--------------------
Wild Psilocybe Ovoideocystidiata

Cultivated Cubensis

InvisibleEndlessNameless
Stranger

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Re: Tip's for being a good trip sitter/guide? [Re: MustardMan]
    #5903075 - 07/26/06 09:07 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Please don't get more fucked up than the tripper. Unfortunately, our designated trippers (the one not ingesting a hallucinogen) ends up drinking a lot and becoming more inebriated than we are. The world needs some good trip sitters, just keep an eye out for the trippers and try to understand or relate to what they are experiencing. Recently on a trip to mushroom land, I was on the floor vegging out having a blast but apparently this worried a trip sitter there and kept telling me to get up and quit lying down, quite annoying to say the least

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#5903397 - 07/26/06 10:20 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Whoa...old thread!  :smile:

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #5903461 - 07/26/06 10:34 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

well since the thread is already bumped and you never replied 2 years ago, how did it go?  :smile:

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Tip's for being a good trip sitter/guide? [Re: SuperD]
    #5903774 - 07/26/06 11:41 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Let's just say that the best way to trip sit, is to allow the person to experience what they need to experience.  There's not much anyone can do if someone is "in their own head."  An inactive but supportive role is best, I've found.  :smile:

InvisibleOmnicracker
Crusted Trolltivator

Loc: Wal-Merica
    #5903855 - 07/26/06 11:56 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

NEVER ASK A TRIPPING PERSON "ARE YOU ALRIGHT?"

that question can lead the mind on some scary journeys...

--------------------

xxx..Learn Something..xxx

OfflineSp0re
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5904122 - 07/27/06 01:25 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

some additional miscellaneous suggestions:

i enjoy zen shakuhachi music, tribal drum rhythms, classical indian ragas, gaelic female chanting, overtone singing like david hykes stuff, some mantra chants, gregorian/buddhist monk chants, certain classical europaen pieces like beethoven, shpongle, entheogenic, etc
or somthing more apropos to the general aims of the experience

zen haikus are nice.
as are mandalic artworks

it could be a perfect opportunity to introduce proper bioenergetic breathing styles, just by simple demonstration.
starting the breath as low in the pelvic/belly region as comfortably possible, up from the belly, through the diaphragm and the chest. followed by a pleasureful AH sound just before the exhale release.
this is great for inducing more and better dynamic energy flow.

as for documenting the experience, in addition to pen and pad, have a camcorder if all are comfortable with the idea, and/or a tape recorder.

i haven't tried many of these yet but they sound good :smile:

comments/suggestions?

this is a good thread here.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5904557 - 07/27/06 07:38 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

STFU

Really thats one of the hallmarks of a good tripsitter: to stop socializing and getting absorbed in their own world, while covertly monitoring the experience.

People dont like feeling scrutinized, and steering anothers Experience is almost doomed to fail. The trip must do its thing, and you're there to prevent that the tripper eats candles or throws pencils at the TV.

This is best accomplished by having the sitter on a truly low dose of psychedelics, somewhere between 0.25-1gr of Cubies depending on sensitivity and strength. Then the thought-mill runs smoothly enough to spend the time daydreaming, exploring yourself and contemplating, while at the same time being able to snap out of it and not being dragged in the wake of a bad trip the tripper has.

Even bad trips need to run their course, you're there only to give basic reassurance.

At the beginning of the experience, do not allow the Tripper to flee from themselves by engaging in constant socializing: tell them they have to find comfort within themselves, not in the things around them.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

InvisibleaNeway2sayHooray
Cresley Wusher
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Orphic Trench
Re: Tip's for being a good trip sitter/guide? [Re: Asante]
    #5904749 - 07/27/06 09:38 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Very good advice!!

Also,throwing pencils at the tv gets you nowhere.:rofl:

--------------------
Mad_Larkin said:  Death is just a thang.
:clementine:
MrJellineck said:  Profits, prophets. That's all you jews think about.
sheekle said: life is drugs... and music... and cat... :snowman:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale