Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
WBS soaked to long
    #3277411 - 10/26/04 12:21 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Someone I know forgot and left a huge bag of WBS soaking for around 72 hours. It has begun fermenting and the odder is very strong. The problem is that it will not be able to be used for still another few days (new syringe was shot into Karo 5 days ago and still have only clear water, shot up another Karo today and waiting on it).

Should they wash and strain it, and toss it in the fridge until it is time to use it? Wash and strain then PC it and leave it in the PC until time to use? Wash and strain, PC now and then PC again when it is time to use it? Or just toss it out and go buy another bag?

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: WBS soaked to long [Re: MadHatR]
    #3277494 - 10/26/04 12:44 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

They should throw it out and start over O_o

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek
Fast, easy, fool proof inoculation
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: WBS soaked to long [Re: Citric]
    #3277539 - 10/26/04 12:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

How do you tell if it has soaked to long? Mainly the smell? The foam on top of the water? The amount that bursts?

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

#3277620 - 10/26/04 01:17 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I myself just had to throw out some WBS. I wasn't aware I was out of syringes and have to wait until I can trade some prints for syringes. Those seeds are probably going to begin to germinate which is not good. I don't really see how over soaking can be a problem other than that. The soaking process is for germinating hard to kill endospores that sometimes survive the PC. Simmering is for getting the water content right. Just throw that shit out and get a new bag. It's only a few bucks. Good luck.

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: WBS soaked to long [Re: NewfoundFreedom]
    #3277726 - 10/26/04 01:50 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You can tell you've soaked too long when the seeds begin to germinate.

The PBS(Parakeet birdseed) I've been using is extremely vigorous, germinates after only 18 - 24 hours.. so I've used 12 hour soaks.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3277746 - 10/26/04 01:56 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yea, that's what I was afraid of, just hate tossing out a entire bag. Plus it is really going to stink up my trash. Guess that is the price of rushing things.

--------------------

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3277760 - 10/26/04 01:58 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I don't throw anything like that into the trash.. just dump it in the yard. I guess that depends on the size of your yard, though.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: WBS soaked to long [Re: discman1]
    #3282548 - 10/27/04 02:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well after a good washing the small has returned to the normal soaked and simmered WBS smell so it seems like it still might be good. Plus the extra soaking time has plumped it up to the normal after simmered size. It's always worth a try. Is there any way to tell if germinating has begun? Been doing rye for years and have all the timing, look and smell of it down pat, but the local place I can get the big bags in from switched ordering managers and they wont get it shipped in without a big hassle (account set up, etc). So it's starting over with WBS for now.

--------------------

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

#3282770 - 10/27/04 03:59 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If they've begun to germinate, you should be able to see tiny tap roots coming out from the seeds, and if it's really bad the seeds will start clinging together forming clumps.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3282898 - 10/27/04 05:08 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Cool, it's all good then. Have yet to see any do that. No splitting, no roots, just a bit of a smell. Just used to the smell of Rye I guess. Guess I will toss it all in a Rubbermaid on top of some paper towels and chunk it in the fridge until the new syringe (which I'm hoping is not bad) takes off in the Karo.

Thanks for the info. Have never actually left anything long enough to germinate so I never knew what to look for. Might toss a hand-full in water and watch it and time it to see the process all the way through so I wont freak out so early next time.

--------------------

Anonymous

#3310377 - 11/02/04 06:44 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

*post deleted*

Edited by Anonymous (11/02/04 09:16 PM)

Offlinewhatsthestorymg
badwithgrains

Re: WBS soaked to long [Re: Anonymous]
    #5983235 - 08/21/06 10:02 AM (11 years, 7 hours ago)

I just had a whole thing of WBS germinate on me, because i couldn't find time to PC it. So i put it out in a flower pot with some dirt and watered it a little bit. Millet makes some nice looking green shoots.

--------------------
I pity the fool who don't enjoy a good cubie :mushroom2: :mrt: :mushroom2:
I pity the fool who don't enjoy a good van eyck  :mrt:

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Cattle Prod of Loving Kindness

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

Loc: Middle Earth
Re: WBS soaked to long [Re: whatsthestorymg]
    #5983347 - 08/21/06 10:52 AM (11 years, 6 hours ago)

My first try with WBS I made the mistake of adding too much water. My jars are all over saturated and fermented. Interestingly (to me) the myc is colonizing all the surface area thats not soaked in fermented WBS juice. I've let it go for a few weeks because I'm a curious learn by experience person. Still no mean green or cobweb. The jars just smell like apple juice. In an attempt to save the jars I drained some of the juice which smells like apple juice now BTW. In the process, some fruit flys appeared out of nowhere and got into one of my jars. That jar (needless to say) ended up with maggets in it... so i tossed it outside. Most of the other jars are still trying to colonize although the WBS is looking funkier by the day. That's my experience with over saturated WBS :smile:

--------------------
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman

Re: WBS soaked to long [Re: 76degrees]
    #5983404 - 08/21/06 11:28 AM (11 years, 5 hours ago)

Being about a million times cheaper that rye,I was thinking of trying wild bird seed again.In the past it has failed me every single time and in my opinion rye is so much better that it is worth the price

--------------------
Cake makers please read this before you waste more time/effort >>
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6236058/an/0/page/0
My LC tek >> http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7320516/an/0/page/0

""THEY CAN NOT KILL ME,I STILL WALK THE EARTH,WEAKENED BUT ALIVE.THEY HAVE TAKEN ALL FROM ME BUT THE BEATING OF MY COLD DEAD HEART.
THEY WILL NOW LEARN OF FEAR,THESE MEWING BABIES WHO THOUGHT THEY COULD DESTROY ME.
I HAVE REGAINED MY POWERS AND SHALL COME TO THEM IN THE NIGHT........

MY VISITS SHALL NOT BE KIND !! ""
:vampire: BlutJager :vampire:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation