Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejent
enchanted wizardof rhythm
dry cakes durring colonizing **LAST UPDATE**
    #3274928 - 10/25/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hi,
Long time reader first time poster. This is my first time ever growing. I have several cakes that seem to be WAY to dry (my guess is to long in the pressure cooker). There are no contams on any of the cakes. There are 4 cakes that have mycillium growing and the others just look dry and kind of crumbly. It has been 5 days since inoculation. The dry cakes do not show any signs of growth. I am wondering about rehydrating the cakes. My plan was to get some distilled water, put it in the pressure cooker for about an hour with the syringe/needle in it. And give each cake about 3 cc's (maybe more??) then try to roll the cake in the jar around to try to spread out the water. Then in a couple days if it still looks dry do it again. Would it be better to just give it more water to start with? or do you think 3cc's would be enough water per 1/2 pint jar to rehydrate. Do you think there is any chance of rehydrating and then them growing? Any tips would be great, I have read lots of documentation about this but out of all the problems I faced I would have never guessed being to dry would have been one of them. Thank you all ahead of time.

--------------------
the jent

Edited by jent (10/31/04 10:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: dry cakes durring colonizing [Re: jent]
    #3275010 - 10/25/04 11:31 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Jent,

Since it's only been around 5 days since inoculation, wait about another 5 or so before doing much. I don't know about the rehydration, but the way you suggested sounds like it has the least chance of contamming.

I had 6 jars around a month and a half ago that I thought were too dry as well, but on day 9 they began growing and fully colonized. After a dunking they are fruiting fine. Just long colonization times.

- Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #3275013 - 10/25/04 11:32 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i would just dunk after birthing...
no need to much around with yr ratios
you can really screw up yr jars like that

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

Offlinejent
Re: dry cakes durring colonizing [Re: muse_sick]
    #3275125 - 10/25/04 12:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

alright, i have no problems with waiting...my only conncern is that it looks too dry for much to grow. Will the spores die if they are left in this and there is not enough water? I assumed no since spores can live on prints but a guy on the IRC said that yes they can in 8 to 10 days?

--------------------
the jent

OfflineHappyNappy
Stranger

#3275168 - 10/25/04 12:18 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with silven and jent. just wait till colonization then dunk and roll away! :grin:

--------------------
Everything I post in this forum is entirely false.

Offlinejent
Re: dry cakes durring colonizing [Re: HappyNappy]
    #3275200 - 10/25/04 12:27 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

so happynappy and others you will think they will still colonize even though they are dry? not compleatly dry but dry none the less

--------------------
the jent

OfflineHenry_Halleur
Flatan, notSatan
    #3275219 - 10/25/04 12:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i dont think the spores will die, because of running dry.
sporeprints are totally dry for months/years even.
dont worry about that.

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3275273 - 10/25/04 12:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yea I think that they still run a good chance of colonizing. :thumbup:

How many jars are we talking that you will lose if they don't grow?

- Silven

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

OfflineHenry_Halleur
Flatan, notSatan
Re: dry cakes durring colonizing [Re: Silven]
    #3275280 - 10/25/04 12:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i think the inoculated spores are a bigger loss for him.
:smile:

Edited by Henry_Halleur (10/25/04 12:54 PM)

OfflineShroomsbrrr
Frequent visitor
 User Gallery
Re: dry cakes durring colonizing [Re: Henry_Halleur]
    #3275298 - 10/25/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Don't worry about it man. When I first made mine I also thought they were too dry. You just have to give it a few days for them to grow and they'll be fine. Just make sure you incubate at around 82-86 and youll se growth soon enough.

Offlinejent
Re: dry cakes durring colonizing [Re: Shroomsbrrr]
    #3275339 - 10/25/04 01:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

there are 8 jars in question and 6 of them are especially bad...and yes the spores are the bigger concern. I have another syringe but I hate to use it to have it fail. I will let them sit and keep you guys posted. Please post if you have ever en counted this and what you did. Thank you guys for your quick res ponce and your help.

--------------------
the jent

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: dry cakes durring colonizing [Re: Shroomsbrrr]
    #3275350 - 10/25/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Patience. Give them time.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineMapleLeafRag
Mycophant
Re: dry cakes durring colonizing [Re: KaptKid]
    #3276478 - 10/25/04 06:23 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If you get sick of waiting, try a cake to cake transfer of the mycelium. I've done this now twice with good results. Prepare the PF jars like normal, only leave off the dry vermiculite, and sterilize seperately (I did by baking). When you open the sterile PF jars, transfer a piece of mycelium-covered cake from the cake that's stopped growing onto the new cake. (I poked little holes against the glass in the cake before sterilizing, and dropped several mycelium bits into the holes.) cover with the sterilized dry vermiculite.  I've done this to inoculate over a dozen jars now, with only one becoming contaminated. they're all growing just as well as if I had used spores.

This has GOTTA be done either in a glovebox, or using the oven tek. (I used oven tek, and I attribute my success to it. I know it works because I watched the glittery vermiculite dust float upward as I poured it on the jars, despite controversy out there I know it DOES create an upward current.)  Keep everything clean, because this procedure opens a big door to contamination.

But like I said, its worked, and I plan to keep using this method to keep a steady supply of colonized cakes. No need to buy spores again :smile:

OfflineMapleLeafRag
Mycophant
Re: dry cakes durring colonizing [Re: MapleLeafRag]
    #3276491 - 10/25/04 06:27 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I forgot to add, I even have used this to salvage moldy cakes. I just plucked a piece from the non-contaminated portion of cake, and used it to start a replacement cake. Thats why I thought of it when reading about your situation. You could use it to start newer, wetter, cakes.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: dry cakes durring colonizing [Re: MapleLeafRag]
    #3276548 - 10/25/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think transfer is not a good idea at this point for jent.

Anyways... First of all, you can't really change the water content using PC.  The inside of PC is fully saturated and no evaporation or condensation occurs inside the jars during PC.  It could have evaporated if you didn't wait for PC to cool enough(unless over 212F, I say still neglegible because I steamed my first few sets and I let the jars cool outside the steamer from 212F down to ambient)

Second, I'm a firm believer that slightly drier substrate colonizes quicker.  There is a point where mycelium doesn't have enough moisture, but a slight deviation from the recipe doesn't make difference.  I used 50cc in my time trialed jars and achieved near full colonization(dissected and verified inside and out) in 6 days.

Third, it's your first grow.  Have faith in yourself.  Worst case, jars don't colonize.  At least you save yourself from lot of heartache.

Here's the glitch about rehydration.  I don't know too many people who have done it, but this is my take.  Spores germinate(there is enough moisture from spore solution at least), then mycelium doesn't have enough moisture.  Mycelium dries out and dies.  You rehydrate.  Nothing happens.  Wasted a lot of time and effort.

Let the jars colonize, but if you think that it's not going to fully colonize, order another syringe or a print as a backup. :wink:

Good Luck

Oh, btw, belayed welcome!

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineBrady
randomizer
Loc: on a damn island , FL
Re: dry cakes durring colonizing [Re: Sam1912]
    #3277915 - 10/26/04 01:16 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yeah I did EQ and they took 10 days to show any sign of growth! Just chill on it. Ive heard of people waiting 20 days for germination so dont be freakin yet.

--------------------
I love to trade , trade with me!

Offlinejent
Re: dry cakes durring colonizing [Re: Brady]
    #3291991 - 10/28/04 11:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Just an update. We checked on the cakes today, about half have alright, but still slow growth. So we pulled the slowest/dryest half and rehydrated them tonight. Most of the cakes got 3cc's of h2o2/water mix while I gave one cake a 7cc mix. I will keep you posted if I accually did it without contamination. Also I will let you know if it helps growth at all. I really think this was the right dession, but we will know here in a few days. I still left several cakes untuched so if I screwed up at least all will not be lost. I will try to get my digital camera from home this weekend so you can just see how dry these are. From what you guys said I am pretty sure that they dryed out because we took them out of the pressure cooker really soon after they cooked so we could start the next batch. Oh well live and learn.

--------------------
the jent

Offlinejent
    #3302924 - 10/31/04 10:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Just wanted everyone to know so we can close this. I got a 0% contamination from the rehydrated cakes. And growth has already accelerated tons. I am glad I did it, now i just hope that I won't have to do anything till I dunk and roll.

--------------------
the jent

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures