Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
FAQ 32. What is ego loss?
    #3275181 - 10/25/04 02:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 50.What is ego loss? [Re: Rose]
    #3278627 - 10/26/04 10:34 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I know, there's a great thread in the General Questions forum about this topic,

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...=&fpart=all

... but Ego Loss is very important to the Tripper's FAQ.

Please discuss ego loss a bit in this thread too.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#3278780 - 10/26/04 11:26 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I have yet to experience ego loss on mushrooms. But I have every time that I've smoked 5-MeO-DMT. After the trip kicked in, I had no body. I slowly melted into whatever it was that I was laying/sitting on. After losing my body I still had my brain. I actually just felt like a brain floating in space, with my thoughts connected to everything, and everyone. I always felt some weird, cosmic connection with the minds of others that were with me during the trip. I knew their bodies were there, but mine was not. It felt as though I had crossed dimensions, and I no longer needed my body. My brain was just a collection of past memories and things I have learned.

That's how I experienced ego loss using 5-MeO-DMT.

OfflineDistortedPhlight
Stranger
Loc: Seattle,wa
Re: FAQ 50.What is ego loss? [Re: DNKYD]
    #3278984 - 10/26/04 12:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Ego loss to me is the feeling of not caring. i had eaten a 8th of mushies (i have a low tolerance) and as i began to trip i realized that nothing mattered. some one would come up to me and talk but i didnt care. i didnt want to listen so i would just walk away. some one threw up next to me all over my friends carpet but i didnt care. i kept just thinking it didnt matter.
thats the best i can do to explain it

....just my two caps worth

--------------------
"The world is full of choices and doors. the choices you make open and close certain doors. By choosing your own path, you will open the doors to your inner self, and inner peace."-me

Offlinemastacheefa
Stranger

Loc: N. Georgia
Re: FAQ 50.What is ego loss? [Re: DistortedPhlight]
    #3279636 - 10/26/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I would describe it as not caring or worrying about anything. Like this past weekend me and some friends were going to a concert that we were looking forward to for some time. When we got to the arena we realized we forgot the tickets. But it didnt matter to me. I was tripping and felt completely at peace like nothing was wrong or really mattered.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: FAQ 50.What is ego loss? [Re: mastacheefa]
    #3279732 - 10/26/04 03:56 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

From a subjective standpoint, ego loss is the fading of that which identifies you. The ego, in Freudian psychology, is that part of a human organism that controls the id (or primal desires), and represents reality and reason. For example, if you want to be liked (the id), then the ego would go about finding ways to accomplish this.

During ego loss, which generally is an objectively very short period of time, you have no concept of self, hence the phenomenon of 'melting' into surrounding objects.

From a scientific standpoint, I can't really do more than speculate, from a lack of knowledge. A friend once suggested that studies conducted during the 60's and 70's indicated that bloodflow in certain areas of the brain were slowed or even stopped after ingested various hallucinogens. Perhaps the ego has an actual physical representation in the brain, and hallucinogens have the pharacological effect of shutting off blood flow to that region. If this was the case, then it could, in theory, be possible to develop medications to treat various disorders through this mechanism. However, I still support the valid medical uses of hallucinogens :smile:

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinejent
enchanted wizardof rhythm
Re: FAQ 50.What is ego loss? [Re: dblaney]
    #3280660 - 10/26/04 07:32 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If the blood flow theroy is correct one might be able to compleatly lose his/her ego forever should he/she have an extended level 5 ego loss tripp?

on the original topic, i have only experinced it once. I would not descibe it as you don't care....although that can be a side effect from it. It is more like you lose all concept of I, Me, Friends, Family. They don't exist....you are one with everything, you are a species, you are nothing special, and yet you are so special that you are. It is very hard for me to put into words what I experinced on this trip. I do hope that I will venture there again, in fact I can die happy just knowing I have experinced something so beautiful.

--------------------
the jent

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
    #3280764 - 10/26/04 08:02 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I sum it up this way:

You can say "my name is Adam" during ego-loss, only it won't make any sense because "Adam" doesn't exist anymore.

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Re: FAQ 50.What is ego loss? [Re: adamj]
    #3281889 - 10/26/04 11:37 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

ego loss is just like it sounds... you can think your a billy bad ass, eat some fungus and someone can call you a little bitch and you wont care because you feel like a 3 year old again, cause only 3 year olds stare at stupid shit thats always there as one does on shrooms... you can be a 300 pounds overweight and take the same dose as billy bad ass did and you will go straight to the dance floor like you weighed 175 pounds... you dont think about yourself anymore, hallucinogens just have that effect...

OfflineCooltuba
Mycostudent
 User Gallery

Loc: Home
Re: FAQ 50.What is ego loss? [Re: Tremor1127]
    #3284611 - 10/27/04 03:56 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I had an ego-loss on 2.5g dried cubensis with 1 and a half tabs of x. I think it's slightly different for everyone. I was at an A Perfect Circle concert, and I was standing up. All of a sudden I closed my eyes and everything was black, then I saw my life from a third-person point of view. I think the "third person" was God, but interpret that however you'd like. So, in other words, I saw my life from what I believe to be God's perspective. It was a shaking experience, but I made some changes in my life because of what I was shown. I went back to college, became much closer to my family, and I just feel like I'm a better person because of my experience that night.

Peace.

--------------------
Above musings are entirely fictional.  I do not grow mushrooms nor do I associate with anyone who does.

DRUGS ARE BAD!  MMMMKAY?

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 50.What is ego loss? [Re: Cooltuba]
    #3284619 - 10/27/04 03:58 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I experienced ego loss on 1.5g of cubensis.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinerock_ten
    #3284963 - 10/27/04 05:08 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Although like others have said, it really cant be accurately put into word, ill describe it a bit. Everything you are, everything you like and do, everything that defines you and makes you confident that you are the same being as you were in the previous second, is progressively stripped away as the trip becomes more intense. Whatever is left knows that it exists, but perhaps not why, where, or as what.

If the ego loss is not complete and you can still remember things about normal life - or perhaps external stimulii have brought back some memories, they will probably seem trivial and irrelevant. You may not know that youre tripping, and if you are told by someone that you ARE tripping, or you see your drugs and begin to consider the possibility, it may seem impossible because "its been like this forever" so how can this be abnormal?

The melting away of your ego can be a scary thing, but if you fight it you will just get more and more freaked out. Go into the experience knowing that your body still exists in this reality and it is safe, and that you WILL return to "normal".

rock on everyone

--Joe

OfflineWannasub
Stranger
Loc: South Australia
Re: FAQ 50.What is ego loss? [Re: rock_ten]
    #3288686 - 10/28/04 12:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well...reading this thread makes me think of my best experience. I felt as though by body no longer existed, nor my mind really. I felt as though I was everyone and everything....and everywhere at the same time. I suppose this is being "at one" with the universe they talk about. Also I had a feeling of complete and utter bliss...it was absolutely perfect and it felt like I was in heaven. Is that ego loss????

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 50.What is ego loss? [Re: Wannasub]
    #3288835 - 10/28/04 12:56 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yup.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 32. What is ego loss? [Re: Rose]
    #4181348 - 05/16/05 07:32 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Here's the answer so far. Please, keep adding to the Tripper's FAQ.

32. What is ego loss?

"Ego loss"..sometimes called Ego transcendence.. is the state of mind when one temporarily bypasses, sees through, or otherwise transcends the limits of the ego.

Often this is reported as feeling a loss of sense of self identity, no sense of time/beginning. A feeling of being connected with the universe filled with love and peace and everything being one. The other side of this spectrum could be utter chaos, depending on your worldview and beliefs.

The ego is the function of the mind/consciousness that "filters" perceived reality through a set of pre-conceived notions and assumptions. It's basic function is to protect the mind/body from perceived threats to its reality. The ego can be associated with the "beta" brainwave, such as when you are actively engaged in conversation or doing something physical.

Ego loss, this author feels.. is an inaccurate term. Ego transcendence is a better description.
The ego is not some annoying obstacle to be rid of. It is a tool for spiritual growth, and has many lessons to teach us. One must not struggle against the ego, but flow with it, understand it, accept it, and become one with it. This is transcending the ego.

To go through ego loss, in laymans terms.. is to transcend the limits of the ego/individual personality, and become more aware of our existance as eternal spiritual beings.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience