Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Myco Student
 User Gallery

what happend to my WBS
    #3274969 - 10/25/04 01:08 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

this is what i did with my WBS that i inoculated with GT

-drained a few times and let soak for 12 hours
-drained a few times and simmered for about 20 min untill the grain got really puffy and incresed in size big time
-PCed for 1 hour
-inoculated threw the tyvek with ring only top and used 2coffee filters held with rubberband in place to cover for the holes
-placed in Tnt with water heater set highish allowing for the surface of the bottom tub where the jars sit to be at a constant 89-91 deg

well after 4 days my quart jars where doing fine and i shook them and the following day everything was going normal but on the 6th day alot of the jar started to look more wet them b4 and had a caramel colored gue on the side of the jars ?????? first time with grain and i though i was doing fine but whats going on??  :sad:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Re: what happend to my WBS [Re: Mykro_Guy]
    #3276981 - 10/25/04 10:27 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

Caramel colored glue sounds like Bacillus or some other bacterial contamination. From your description, it sounded like you PC'd before putting lids on? I'm sure you had the lids/filters on during PC'ing, right?
The soaking/simmering might have been a little overkill. Did many of the grains look exploded after PC'ing? Most people who soak do it overnight, and then PC. Most people who steep do it for ?an hour? or so and then PC. I haven't heard of people doing the full 12 hour soak followed by a full steeping step. Burst grains favor bacteria. . .the inner starches which are normally contained in a smooth 'waxy' coat are now external to the seed, and bacteria just love freely available starches. You really want the seed coat intact, at least for most of the seeds. The incubation step sounds just a little high. . .You don't want to go above 86 degrees, preferably even a couple of degrees lower as the insides of the jar can build up additional heat. If it's not possible, I think you should just stick with room temperature.

So I'd recommend cutting back on the soaking/steeping step [choose one]. Regardless of which one you use, thoroughly rinse the grain beforehand. Keep one jar uninoculated as a 'negative control'. If that jar goes bad, you'll know not to blame the inoculum or inoculating environment.

I think the key to getting the hang of WBS is to run one load with varying amounts of water. In your case, perhaps it would work like this: Rinse the seed, load in a pot to steep. Take a jar's worth of grain out at 20 minutes, another at 25 minutes, 30 minutes, etc., and label each jar. [I don't steep, so you'll have to decide the appropriate timepoints] After PC'ing for an hour, you will have a very good idea which jar looks the best, and how much steeping is necessary. Proper water content is critical to reproduceable success with any grain. After this test run, you can pitch the 'bad ones' and run a full load with the optimized recipe.
Good luck

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum