Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Question
    #3272816 - 10/24/04 07:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'd like to here anyones take on the ego verus personality? Are they the same to you or different and how so? So many want ego death, I am curious if they want death to the personality and personal forms of self expression as well?

Just run with your thoughts.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

Re: Question [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3272873 - 10/24/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

For me, ego death is a radical solution the problem. It is like saying that "I don't like my hair color, I will commit suicide". There is another solution to all problems and for me, that solution is love. Lots of it. Loooooots of it. Love as pronounced in the led zeppelin song "whole lotta love". :rockon:

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Question [Re: Shroomerious]
    #3273158 - 10/24/04 09:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ego is "me" taking?
personality is "me" giving?

taking something whitout giving something might be wierd though!? :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Question [Re: Gomp]
    #3273250 - 10/24/04 09:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Personality is the external manifestation of the ego.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Question [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3273627 - 10/24/04 11:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ok.....

when i have seen people experienceing ego death, they had no personality... they were like vegetables.

so seeing that, it makes me believe that the ego is inseperable from the personality.

i love "ego".  i love "personality".  i love everyone because there the same as me on a molecular level (hopefully) or as i would ormally say "deep down inside".

beyond the ego we are the same.  just biological life-forms!

forms of life!

my ego helps me interact with society on a day to day basis, and provides me with entertainment!  but i do love the stillness of shrinking the ego as well... which is to say, my ego loves being shrinked every now and then.

but only because then it feels really good to be inflated back up!  its about pressure :wink:

just like most of biological life.

peace

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3274450 - 10/25/04 06:18 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

VERY interesting perspective, Gomp.

But I ask, why is it weird to give without taking?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

InvisibleLakimada
Stranger
Re: Question [Re: psyka]
    #3274457 - 10/25/04 06:27 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

he said it would be weird to take without giving..

how do you know personality derives from ego???

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Re: Question [Re: Lakimada]
    #3274463 - 10/25/04 06:36 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

just an opinion...

isnt your personality just a manifestation of the ego?

or the way your ego interacts with its surroundings?

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

InvisibleLakimada
Stranger
Re: Question [Re: Todcasil]
    #3274477 - 10/25/04 06:46 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i don't think personality is a manifestation of ego, maybe segments of personality is, but not all.
so its hard to say

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Re: Question [Re: Lakimada]
    #3274488 - 10/25/04 06:58 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

all is illusion

but the best illusion is love!

--------------------
GODDESSES
GODS.

~Casil

InvisibleLakimada
Stranger
Re: Question [Re: Todcasil]
    #3274502 - 10/25/04 07:20 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

maybe that is an illusion, thinking everything is an illusion.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #3274587 - 10/25/04 08:18 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
I'd like to here anyones take on the ego verus personality? Are they the same to you or different and how so? So many want ego death, I am curious if they want death to the personality and personal forms of self expression as well?

As actions and thoughts are able to come into being without an ego filtering between incoming signals and directing focus into various areas, I would definitely say that someone's personality (which doesn't actually exist, a personality is merely an idea of what that person is) is in no way similar.

Not to mention the fact that one's personality is observable and determined by other people.....

To clarify, I define the ego as the set of subconscious, mental programs that interpret incoming signals (through our senses) and then determine which ones need focus directed to it. The ego that I describe was originally only suspossed to watch all signals to determine if a pattern arose that matched that of a direct threat on our survival, then it would automatically override thought processes and force a certain action to be made.

However, with the majority of people, the ego is programmed with far too many incorrect patterns that signify an immediate threat on our life, and the ego overrides thought processes and forces certain action far too often. It does this by using negative, painful (illusory, of course) emotions to prevent thoughts and actions leading down certain pathways.

The ego is not to be identified with our personality, who we are, our decision-making processes, our thoughts, etc. It is none of these things, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to classify these things as the ego, as they are seperate, distinct functions. I've heard definitions of the ego as "the self", and that makes me laugh so fucking hard, as that is a terrible fucking definition. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyways, ja, the ego is one of many distinct programs in the mind, and it is necessary for our survival, as long as its job description is not extended unconstitutonally (if you catch the similarities here, as they are numerous...) :grin:.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3275018 - 10/25/04 11:34 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You guys are great to play with. I'm glad I asked this question.

Gomp, I like what you pointed out, it got me thinking about that post I did on yin yang light dark, giving and recieiving balance.

Lets say the personality is how you express giving and recieving. Lets say, you fall out of whack, and can't give properly cutting off any return flow to recieive OR you have self worth issues and don't allow yourself to recieive, even though you can still give.

To feel "fulfilled" you are then left with the means of TAKING.

Allowing yourself to recieive what others give and even giving to yourself in a nurturing way, both healthy aspects of a balnced being is not the same as TAKING.

I can see how you set the ego up as the self that reacts when the personality is out of whack.

Very interesting.

I think that is sort of what you were getting at to Fireworks.

Here's how I am seeing it now. Personality is the way we experience and express the spirits joy of giving and receiving here in the physical.

When that system goes awry, the self closes up, propably instinct survival crap. Some thing made it afraid of being open. This is ego self says to you, "You don't have to open your mind and heart to give and recieve, you can just stayed closed up and TAKE from others and you'll do just fine and never get hurt.

See what I am seeing? Any thoughts on this?

One more quick comment,

I have been working on insighting something for a while and it's cloudy. It's related to off planetary societies that achieved selflessness. There are bugs in this line of spiritual evolution and I feel like a lot of us jumped back to the past to do some tweeking. It's tied into this and it's tied into how even though they move as one serving the one of the community and all are equally cared for, JOY was some how lost from the experience and creative expression nose dived.

I don't want to go down that line again which is why this subject interests me and I bring it up a lot.

When I get more, I'll add.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (10/25/04 11:42 AM)

OfflineWhiteRussian
The Silence islouder then youthink
Loc: In your head :P
    #3275189 - 10/25/04 12:24 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

its all the same :smile:

--------------------
aaaaaahhhhh

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #3275450 - 10/25/04 01:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Great explanations so far !
Now my biological insult, which, I think fits perfectly in all the theory.
Ego is defined by consciousness. Consciousness is mainly defined by the brains neo-cortex and the brain half, in which the consciousness is inhabited at the moment.
All of us are constructed out of many 'personalities' which sum up into neo-cortex, to build the ego.
Deep in our subconscious levels of our mind, in archetypical structures and patterns, in hormonal regulations-capability and pre-evolutionary body- and mindmachines, there lies our personality.
That what is most connected to our soul and upon which our ego only surfs like on a fast turqouise wave...

I hope I sound somehow understandable :wink:
:heart:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Question [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #3275533 - 10/25/04 02:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

gettinjiggywithit, "the self closes up, propably instinct survival crap. Some thing made it afraid of being open."
hmm.. somthing about that.. nisley put, got me wondring :wink:

and psyka
"But I ask, why is it weird to give without taking? "
"why is it weird to take without giving?"

good question, dont know really?
give me love, where did you get it in the first place? not saying you could not make love? but somhow i see ego/personality connected to taking/giving. the way gettinjiggywithit seeing it now, just something.. maybe if one was given some kind words, it has be taken from somewhere else?? maybe mabye? :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3275687 - 10/25/04 02:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

But note the difference I noted gomp between allowing yourself to recieve what is freely given to you versus taking from something.

Like in the extreme cases of rape and flat out theft or the use of force and manipulation to take from others, even power over them what they do not freely wish to give you.

This is interesting, ultimately, taking and receiving give the same end result, the difference lies in the mind. If you feel unworthy of recieving and giving to yourself in a nurturing way, you will believe "falsley" that you must take to get. I think that is an ego fuck up.

I think a balanced personality that can easily give and recieve is Vital.

My concern is that if personality "creative self expression" gets lumped in with ego "warped self expression" and the goal is to get rid of the one at the expense of the other, then what?

All I see is blahhhhhhhhh, blandddddddddd dulllllllllll existance.

How do we color the world and maintain the beauty of complimentary contrasts if we ditch the creative aspects of the personality? Where will creative inspiration come from? I see killing the creative self expression "personality" as killing the flow of life itself.

I mentioned peering into future societies that evolved along those lines. They look so dismal- peaceful and co-operative but palor and dying as there is no creative expression of the spirit or soul self and the feeling of joy that comes with it.

I remember once reading that to deny the self the personality is a mistake. Spirit comes through and expresses itself through our emotional body. When it is allowed to be pulled in and through and strong we feel its power and joy and can revel in its creative inteligence. We can construct and produce joyful experiences with it and then have them to feel appreciation of the self and others for.

I could babble.

Let me take this in a new direction and ask, what are potential consequences anyone can concieve of "just for play" what if possibilities, if everyone denied themselves the "self"?

It doesn't mean you have to beleive in what you write. I'm just asking for considerations of what can result if everyone denied the self the self?

And can't we be balanced individuals while maintaining a personality, creative form of self expression?

In Ramthas White Book, he talked about how we started off this way as co-creators and some got Jealous of the creations of others. he said those feelings gave rise to competition and the "taking" energy. He said being started creating stuff to destroy the creations of others and it spiraled downward in a bad way and here we are.

Granted, he said that when these first co-creative beings were able to inhabit their creations, they became so emeshed in one upmanship or just destroying what they couldn't directly compete with, they started to beleive they were their creations- the ego probably kicked in at that time.

How do we allow ourself to be free co-creative beings without jealous competition and destruction coming into play? Do you think the beings looking to ditch ego are really just saying "fuck it". If I am nothing and create nothing of my self worth and creative intelligence, then nothing can become of jealous of me and seek to consume or destroy me. Is that how Budhism started? What is the original "fuck you" religion that brought death to it's own self in spite of others?

I'll stop here for now.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #3277219 - 10/25/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think that ego is only one small piece of your personality. It's the get shit done, be the best part of the personality. It's also, in my opinion, the worst part of the personality, unfortunately, many people are only aware of the ego and ignore the rest of whats there.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order