Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewds
another brick

Loc: Mother Earth
when to initiate pinning
    #3273030 - 10/24/04 08:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i have myc slightly poking through the casing layer.

should i just patch where it has popped through and initiate?

the casing was created on 10/20.

--------------------
I wish psychedelic mushrooms were legal, because I would like to indulge in this amazing fruit of the earth. Unfortunately, I can only learn about this interesting hobby, and cultivate legal mushrooms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: when to initiate pinning [Re: wds]
    #3273034 - 10/24/04 08:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'd wait another day then patch. Then throw it back in the incubator. Good luck.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinewds
another brick

Re: when to initiate pinning [Re: Sam1912]
    #3273047 - 10/24/04 08:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

how long should i wait after i patched?

--------------------
I wish psychedelic mushrooms were legal, because I would like to indulge in this amazing fruit of the earth. Unfortunately, I can only learn about this interesting hobby, and cultivate legal mushrooms.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3273052 - 10/24/04 08:36 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

until you get more even growth through the casing. Once you see myc poking evenly(not a even growth, but even poking), do your pin thing.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinetheaquaman54
malfunkchunn

#3273312 - 10/24/04 09:50 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

its hard to tell a person when to patch or initiate pinning. you have to be the judge. Basically afoaf just keeps patching untill either pins show up or it looks even.

--------------------
theaquaman

The Reply-To Feature.

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3273346 - 10/24/04 09:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Sam1912 said:
I'd wait another day then patch. Then throw it back in the incubator. Good luck.

Sam

As i understand it from others, after you patch you throw it in the terranium. the mycelium then builds to the surface evenly and developes pins.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: when to initiate pinning [Re: derx]
    #3273387 - 10/24/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

it can... but it'll be faster in incubation.

You'll hear about growth momentum a bit if you read far back.  For casing, it's hard to stop the growth.  So, for a little while, you'll have a period of growth after you do your pinning magic in your terrarium.  So, yeah.. it'll grow out in your terrarium.

But there are still several benefits to using an incubator.

1.  Patched mycelium is not likely to take advantage of light as pinning signal for a day or two.
2.  You might have to repatch(I know, Hyphae... patch only once... but very uneven growth after 1st will still happen)
3.  Growth is a lot faster in the incubating condition.
4.  You can use all the pinning strategy simultaneously, including light, to induce pinning.

It's really upto you where you want to let it grow...  but 1 day in the incubator will give you 3 days or more growth in the terrarium. :wink:

Good luck

Sam

--------------------

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3273399 - 10/24/04 10:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thanks a lot sam. im on day 3 in the terranium after patching 1 and not patching the other. getting excited, tension building up. Cant wait until i see pins. It looks very promising.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: when to initiate pinning [Re: derx]
    #3273401 - 10/24/04 10:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Many Many monster mushie wishes for ya!

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3274370 - 10/25/04 04:54 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You do not want faster colonization of the casing layer. Once you patch throw it right into the chamber. It will colonize PLENTY fast in the fruiting chamber..to fast IMO. I'm running a little warmer then most but even still..I've stopped incubating casings..they go into my fruiting chamber then 3 days later I patch. It's been working out well. Now I don't suggest this for people with optimal temps, mine are just a bit high. I do however recommend after patching to mist it down well (use h202) and put it right into the fruiting chamber. Initiation, IME should be done not when the myc is showing, but when its just under the surface (part of it because you patched it, the rest should be right under that catching up).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: when to initiate pinning [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3275470 - 10/25/04 01:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Like it's been said it depends on the myc's vigor to some extent but usually as soon as you have myc just showing up ideally that will mean it's just under the surface but of course in the real world of non-level casing substrates and multispore cakes and such patching will be necessary Like Sam said I recommend patching only once but I have patched twice as long as it's light it will help. The important thing here is to keep those spots from pinning early which will take the energy away from total pinset as a whole, understand? Read this also Thread

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinewds
another brick

Re: when to initiate pinning [Re: hyphae]
    #3277858 - 10/26/04 12:47 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

should i be fanning my casings or no? i haven't been...

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3277870 - 10/26/04 12:52 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wds said:
should i be fanning my casings or no? i haven't been...

If you've initiated pinning then hell ya It's the coincidence of these pinning triggers that really kicks it in the ass coincidence  being ALL at the same exact time! :wink: other wise it's really a waste IMHO
GL wds

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinewds
another brick

#3277881 - 10/26/04 12:57 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

well, these are my first casings, and i don't really know when to initiate, after a patch, or when it's evenly poking through, or before it's poking through... i get so many suggestions, i don't know what to do.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3278042 - 10/26/04 02:24 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Try this patch the first few areas make sure that casing is at "near saturation" so it glistens with water and throw it into the 74-77F. fruiting chamber. The point being is to allow that myc to continue to colonize that casings surface during the myc transitional period between the vegetative and generative stages that way it will be perfectly colonized with enough uncolonized casing to hold plenty of water resulting in larger flushes. Now all this isn't absolutely critical to follow to the letter but it will give you much better control over your future projects if you understand what is actually happening here in "The Life of Myc" Thats the title of my first book BTW :wink: hehe again GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Offlinewds
another brick

#3278274 - 10/26/04 04:28 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i'm cold shocking one of my casings right now

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3278322 - 10/26/04 04:53 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've tried it and have knocked some days off my GT casings but I know Hyphae never cold shocks casings, most people don't either. As far as cubies anyway, other strains are different. Perhaps I just noticed it at the time and it was just the casings and cold shocking didn't do anything like everyone says it does. I think I noticed it cold shocking a few casings and leaving a few of the same strain..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: when to initiate pinning [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3278345 - 10/26/04 05:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think coldshocking for casing is a bit different. I keep my casing in the incubator until I see a even poking.(very small spots of growth) I'm patching twice though, but very thin patches. It's taking me about 3-4 days after first patch and another day or two for second patch. Then I get this... then coldshock in fridge for a day. There is very limited growth in the fridge. Then it takes few days to see the first pin. Total, 6-8 days. I think I'm getting decent yields, too.

Anyways.. I'll add a pic here in a sec..

Here's the pic. I tried to get the damn flash to go low, but it keeps making the mycelium look bigger. The mycelium poking through are smaller IRL.

Sam

--------------------

Edited by Sam1912 (10/26/04 05:14 AM)

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3278445 - 10/26/04 06:26 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I patched my casings yesterday, and put them back in the incubator for 24 hours...

I just sprayed them down and put them in the Pod. Here's what one looks like.. I circled all the myc spots since they can be hard to see, particularly the small ones. There is a little cut off, but it's pretty much the same on the other side.

I'll let you know how it goes.. hope I did OK! lol....

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: when to initiate pinning [Re: discman1]
    #3279651 - 10/26/04 01:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That could be perfect as far as timing discman as long as everything goes as scheduled :wink: Sam was that casing sprayed to near saturation prior to initiation? I ask because it looks dry in spots, coir/verm right?

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix