Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Spirituality and Prosperity [Re: FiddleMyDiddle]
    #3272908 - 10/24/04 07:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Now I will tell you that while money is necessary and nice...don't base your life on something that is not permenant. The spirit is for always, and no matter what is taken from me that is a permenant foundation. To base one's life on something that can be taken is to be inflexible and resistant to change. To reject all material success as impure or "materialism" is also a pifall as well. You wrote this:
"and not get stoned"
There is a time for that...I have had many experiences with entheogens throughout my adult life, though not frequently, and only on certain occasions. I am by no means spartan. Gave up weed out of apathy for it years ago, though.

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (10/24/04 08:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Spirituality and Prosperity [Re: Lord_of_Fungus]
    #3273113 - 10/24/04 08:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Good topic. 

Something I learned about money not buying happiness is that you can, of course, be happier with money than without, but if you are unhappy in general, i.e., you are a miserable son (or daughter)-of-a-bitch, you will most likely be unhappy whether you have money or not. 

On a personal note:  I would rather have money than not, but I am truly happy.  Recently I was living in an office in the downtown portion of Santa Ana.  :grin:  I was having a good time.  I didn?t like not having my own home, and I didn?t like to be scraping quarters and nickels off the floor of my car, to try to find free parking when I went to court, and so on.  But it?s all a frame of mind.  Yes, life is easier with money, but that doesn?t mean life sucks if you don?t have money. 

And on another personal note, my 26-year old daughter recently came to visit me.  She said that even though we were poor while the older kids were growing up, that I always made things fun.  (I was in school.)  Once, we were totally out of money and food (and toilet paper :grin:

We went to the orange field near by and picked oranges, we had enough change to buy some tortillas, and we stopped at McDonald?s and ?borrowed? some napkins.  Voila!  We had a lot of fun doing all that, the camaraderie and all, and we were able to put food in our bellies.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Spirituality and Prosperity [Re: Frog]
    #3273247 - 10/24/04 09:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

In my first year of marriage I found myself going from attending college on my parents support to supporting myself living in a true rathole about a block from a particularly nasty housing project with a pregnant wife. I was pulling down minimum wage (in 1987) and always broke. My front door of the POS apartment did not even have a lock...that was alright I owned about 3 sets of clothes and no property that would not have been better off at the dump, so theft wasn't really an issue. (remember Bob Dylan said "if you ain't got nothing you got nothing to lose?) I remember after about a month of living there me and my wife bought some Kool-Aid and we remarked that it really tasted good considering we could afford no other luxury. I went to bed that night feeling like I had had a treat of some sort. I wouldn't give a nickel for a gallon of Kool-Aid now, but at that time it was something special. A couple of times it had even come down to getting food from a charity called God's Pantry. Most of what I got was canned food nobody else wanted, but I really appreciated it. I had some fun then and I learned how to be self reliant and have confidence in my abilities. I am glad those days are over, though.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Spirituality and Prosperity [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3273409 - 10/24/04 10:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I am glad those days are over, though.

Those days were once over for me, and things were going well, and then I was thrown back into those days.  Nothing like going from bottom to top, back to bottom, and trying to make it to the top again.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3273454 - 10/24/04 10:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I was once told something by a man I knew who had just lost a lucrative business and was working as a security guard. I asked him how could he stand going from 70K+ a year down to 15K a year...how would he survive it? He said "You always got to be able to come down. Life changes and you must adapt to survive." This guy is now the fire chief over a municipal fire department. I will always find a way. For now, though, I am doing all right. I hit a rough spot 5 years ago when I changed careers from firefighter to computer tech, but a few years of college and a bankruptcy later, I seem to be mostly recovered.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#3273744 - 10/24/04 11:36 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I have been sleeping in my office, mostly, for the last 2 years. There have been people who have looked at this as a sign of defeat, or something. But recently I learned that there are famous people, such as Jennifer Lopez, and some other famous people whose names I can't remember at this moment, who were either homeless or lived in weird places.

The way I see it is that if you truly have a burning desire to do what ever it is you are meant to be here to do, you will survive, no matter what you have to do to get there, and you will be successful.

--------------------

OfflinesWiFtAzNb8oI
Pinoy Blood

#3274238 - 10/25/04 03:29 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

how many of you guyz were high posting this?

Offlinebobbyrox
Stranger

#3274727 - 10/25/04 09:19 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

people say money doesn't buy happiness because they are making the presupposition that happiness is something eternal not temporary. Spirituality is often the main opposition of money because it's something that is developed through discipline which on the surface looks very boring/unpleasant to the majority since they are so entrapped by the potential that money brings which is quick, in-your-face, happiness through what looks physical/bodily desirable as opposed to being spiritualy desirable.

Most importantly, within the context of time, that which is temporary might as well have never existed, the soul, however, is something eternal and preserving its divinity is something that contributes to its eternity.

people who believe otherwise is because they lack the discipline that is prerequisite to TRUE HAPPINESS.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #3275448 - 10/25/04 01:38 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I can't work much more than 20 hours a week just because I'm more devoted to my own spirituality/creativity/free time. I get more out of my time out of work than at work. I do need money to survive in this society, but I don't have to buy material possessions that I don't need.

To me, the things I need (besides food and a place to love) include music, movies, and sometimes videogames. I see these things as art, and I collect this art because it conveys emotions.

Most would consider me a Jue with money, or a 'Lazy bastard'.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Spirituality and Prosperity [Re: Murex]
    #3276160 - 10/25/04 04:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"I can't work much more than 20 hours a week just because I'm more devoted to my own spirituality/creativity/free time"

I feel this way too...I love free time, BUT I got 3 kids a car payment and a house payment. My solution? Get a job doing what I enjoy most. Work=Play.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#3276953 - 10/25/04 08:21 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Get a job doing what I enjoy most. Work=Play.

I so totally agree with this.  One of my (weird) interests is in watching people, and if they are "working" or "playing" at their jobs.  I play at mine.  I could do it 24/7, around the clock, and never get burned out.  Well, actually, I have to take a break on Friday nights and kick Renegade's ass at pool.  :grin: 

If one works at what one loves, money will inevitably follow.

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3276958 - 10/25/04 08:22 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"If one works at what one loves, money will inevitably follow. "

beatiful  :heart: :thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3277012 - 10/25/04 08:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"If one works at what one loves, money will inevitably follow."

Before coming to that realization I spent 13 years in a job I hated, I had come to the conclusion that work sucked no matter what. My father retired from being a pipe fitter and always told me that working was the thing he enjoyed most...hell, he would work double shifts voluntarily. I always thought he was deluding himself to maintain his obviously tenuous hold on sanity...I know now that he was sincere. He was a master at his trade, (still is)he possess a level of mastery I could never hope to gain in my field, though I will keep trying and falling short.

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3277035 - 10/25/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"trying brakes the doing"
-unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag