Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
The Shroomism Fund - Free Shroomism!
    #3271855 - 10/24/04 04:57 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Big thanks to everyone who has been able to contribute as well as all of you who may not be in a financial position to do so, but are still sending your thoughts and/or prayers to a nonviolent victim of our nation's absolutely absurd drug policy. I've just tallied up our donations and as of today, October 24th, we're hovering just under $1,000 collected, with what I'd estimate to be another one to two hundred being sent through the mail.

I would like to take this time to ask all of you to put yourself in Shroomism's position, just so we can all realize how easily this could have happened to any one of us living here in the United States. Shroomism was pulled over for what seemed a routine stop and the police demanded to search his vehicle for what reason? To spend more of our taxes on keeping a kind, gentle, and warm hearted human being in captivity... in a way making us pay to steal a portion of another person's life for a harmless personal decision they chose to make!

I've been pulled over a few times, but one instance in particular stands out. It was a Sunday night in 2001 when I was driving my girlfriend home from my house at approximately 10:40pm after we had enjoyed an episode of the then-hit series The X-Files. Having not smoked that evening, nor having ever smoked marijuana in the car we were driving, a police officer came up to my window proclaiming to "smell something funny." I offered up the suggestion that it may have been Chinese food which had spilled the day before (true story), but the officer countered that it was none other than "fresh marijuana" his olfactory was picking up. Being young and relatively uninformed, I thought I'd be the bigger man and told him that he was free to search my car if he chose to since I had nothing to hide.

Little did I know this would result in a 45 minute search, backup being called, two policemen tearing apart my father?s luggage from when I?d picked him up at the airport, only to find no drugs and leave the car and my dad's belongings a total mess, while I spent the better part of the hour spread-legged face down on the hood of the police cruiser. Fortunately this prompted me to become much more aware of my rights and I never drive without a printed list of applicable rights relating to unwarranted search/seizures as well as the simple right not to speak or be detained without charge.

I was completely innocent of all the suspected charges the officer would have claimed, yet I was still harassed and I very well could have had a pipe in my pocket, or perhaps even a gram or two of herb, hell even my friend's legal prescription for various benzodiazepines. Unfortunately, Shroomism was not as fortunate as I was, as he did have some of these things on his person at the time of his unwarranted search. Now ask yourself, how many times could this have happened to you, given similar circumstances?

It is completely unfair for people minding their own business and enjoying their lives, to have pieces of it taken from them against their will. For this reason, I urge you all to take caution and inform yourselves of your rights. I also would like to ask those of you who feel comfortable, to donate towards Shroomism's bail fund. I know how hard money can be to come by, and that it may even seem a miniscule cause to help one man attain his bail when thousands are being locked up everyday. But one life is still a life, and if we have the power to help even just one person whom has been unjustly persecuted, then I believe we should try!

Please feel free to visit http://www.shroomery.org/shroomismfund/ for a run down of the current situation. You may also want to peruse through this thread to hear the announcement of this atrocity as well as the overwhelming support that has been expressed for our brother in captivity.

As an added incentive for those of you willing to donate, including those who already have, I will be matching 10% of all donations received from October 20th through November 2nd, 2004. Shroomism should not be in jail for the crimes he has been charged with, so let's get him out of there! Imagine if all of us decide to stay in instead of going out to eat for the next two weeks, or read a book instead of going to see the next Hollywood blockbuster, if we could gather all those saved funds we really could see Shroomism free again very soon.

If you?re in a position to give, and believe that Shroomism was wronged, please don?t hesitate to donate to this fund. I also want to express that for those of you donating $25 or more, I will be making every effort to refund your money when all is said and done. If the necessary bail is not reached by the time of trial, your money will also be refunded. Realize that if the money does make it out to Florida, it will be out of my hands for some time so I cannot guarantee any reimbursement, however I wholeheartedly believe that everyone involved is being honest and that there is a very good chance most of your monies will be returned to you upon Shroomism?s attendance at trial.

If you have any questions or would simply like to express your sympathies, please feel free. I also invite any private inquiries as well. The Fund?s webpage will also be updated as time permits with the current tally of donations received. Thank you for taking the time to hear me out, now let?s get Shroomism out!

If you?d like to help promote this cause, you may consider placing the following image in your signiture:

---
Click here to view the signiture code.

The board of directors of the Shroomery and its parent,
Mind Media, Inc., have not been involved with this fund
and it has been expressed in plain english that all those
wishing to donate, shall be doing so at their own risk and
cannot hold The Shroomery, its parent entity, or any of
its managers liable for any and all damages or loss result-
ing directly or indirectly from any donations that are re-
ceived.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Edited by geokills (10/24/04 05:03 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: The Shroomism Fund - Free Shroomism! [Re: geokills]
    #3271915 - 10/24/04 05:14 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

hear hear!

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: The Shroomism Fund - Free Shroomism! [Re: Kremlin]
    #3271976 - 10/24/04 05:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Right on, Geo!

--------------------

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3271992 - 10/24/04 05:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup:

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#3272038 - 10/24/04 05:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

the funny thing is, he wasn't driving, and it wasn't his vehicle. he was just sitting in the back with some herb...

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #3272060 - 10/24/04 05:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Know your rights ppl:

What to do if you're stopped by The Police

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To fight police abuse effectively you need to know your rights. There are some things you should do, some things you must do and some things you cannot do. If you are in the middle of a police encounter, you need a handy and quick reference to remind you what your rights and obligations are.

That's why the ACLU is making these tips available as a downloadable .pdf file. You can photocopy this and carry it in your wallet, pocket or glove compartment to give you quick access to your rights and obligations concerning police encounters.

ACLU "Bustcard": Pocket Guidelines on Encounters with the Police

Complete instructions for printing the bustcard, and other resources on police reform are also availalble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be polite and respectful. Never bad-mouth a police officer.

Stay calm and in control of your words, body language and emotions.

Don't get into an argument with the police.

Remember, anything you say or do can be used against you.

Keep your hands where the police can see them.

Don't run. Don't touch any police officer.

Don't resist even if you believe you are innocent.

Don't complain on the scene or tell the police they're wrong or that you're going to file a complaint.

Do not make any statements regarding the incident. Ask for a lawyer immediately upon your arrest.

Remember officers' badge & patrol car numbers.

Write down everything you remember ASAP.

Try to find witnesses & their names & phone numbers.

If you are injured, take photographs of the injuries as soon as possible, but make sure you seek medical attention first.

If you feel your rights have been violated, file a written complaint with police department's internal affairs division or civilian complaint board.

KEEP THIS CARD HANDY!
IF YOU HAVE A POLICE ENCOUNTER, YOU CAN PROTECT YOURSELF.

1. What you say to the police is always important. What you say can be used against you, and it can give the police an excuse to arrest you, especially if you bad-mouth a police officer.

2. You don't have to answer a police officer's questions, but you must show your driver's license and registration when stopped in a car. In other situations, you can't legally be arrested for refusing to identify yourself to a police officer.

3. You don't have to consent to any search of yourself, your car or your house. If you DO consent to a search, it can affect your rights later in court. If the police say they have a search warrant, ASK TO SEE IT.

4. Do not interfere with, or obstruct the police -- you can be arrested for it.

IF YOU ARE STOPPED FOR QUESTIONING

1. It's not a crime to refuse to answer questions, but refusing to answer can make the police suspicious about you. You can't be arrested merely for refusing to identify yourself on the street.

2. Police may "pat-down" your clothing if they suspect a concealed weapon. Don't physically resist, but make it clear that you don't consent to any further search.

3. Ask if you are under arrest. If you are, you have a right to know why.

4. Don't bad-mouth the police officer or run away, even if you believe what is happening is unreasonable. That could lead to your arrest.

IF YOU'RE STOPPED IN YOUR CAR

1. Upon request, show them your driver's license, registration, and proof of insurance. In certain cases, your car can be searched without a warrant as long as the police have probable cause. To protect yourself later, you should make it clear that you do not consent to a search. It is not lawful for police to arrest you simply for refusing to consent to a search.

2. If you're given a ticket, you should sign it; otherwise you can be arrested. You can always fight the case in court later.

3. If you're suspected of drunk driving (DWI) and refuse to take a blood, urine or breath test, your driver's license may be suspended.

IF YOU'RE ARRESTED OR TAKEN TO A POLICE STATION

1. You have the right to remain silent and to talk to a lawyer before you talk to the police. Tell the police nothing except your name and address. Don't give any explanations, excuses or stories. You can make your defense later, in court, based on what you and your lawyer decide is best.

2. Ask to see a lawyer immediately. If you can't pay for a lawyer, you have a right to a free one, and should ask the police how the lawyer can be contacted. Don't say anything without a lawyer.

3. Within a reasonable time after your arrest, or booking, you have the right to make a local phone call: to a lawyer, bail bondsman, a relative or any other person. The police may not listen to the call to the lawyer.

4. Sometimes you can be released without bail, or have bail lowered. Have your lawyer ask the judge about this possibility. You must be taken before the judge on the next court day after arrest.

5. Do not make any decisions in your case until you have talked with a lawyer.

IN YOUR HOME

1. If the police knock and ask to enter your home, you don't have to admit them unless they have a warrant signed by a judge.

2. However, in some emergency situations (like when a person is screaming for help inside, or when the police are chasing someone) officers are allowed to enter and search your home without a warrant.

3. If you are arrested, the police can search you and the area close by. If you are in a building, "close by" usually means just the room you are in.

We all recognize the need for effective law enforcement, but we should also understand our own rights and responsibilities -- especially in our relationships with the police. Everyone, including minors, has the right to courteous and respectful police treatment.

If your rights are violated, don't try to deal with the situation at the scene. You can discuss the matter with an attorney afterwards, or file a complaint with the Internal Affairs or Civilian Complaint Board.

Produced by the American Civil Liberties Union.
http://archive.aclu.org/issues/criminal/bustcardtext.html

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Re: The Shroomism Fund - Free Shroomism! [Re: 40oz]
    #3272067 - 10/24/04 05:57 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

That was very informative. Thanks 40!

--------------------

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
Re: The Shroomism Fund - Free Shroomism! [Re: CherryBom]
    #3272071 - 10/24/04 05:59 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

:sun:

1 mo thing...

fuck the police :finger:

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #3272100 - 10/24/04 06:08 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

you guys rock! shroomism is a great guy, and it pisses me off knowing hes locked up in jail right now for something as stupid as this. i will be sending some cash as soon as i get the chance to cash my check...

it is nice to see that in a world as fucked up as the one we are living in today, there are still people who actually CARE about others...i can only imagine the shit hes going through right now, and the thoughts running through his head. once this is finally over with, wheather what we are doing actually helps him get out or not, and he sees the amount of support by his friends here on the shroomery...im sure he will be extremly greatful :grin:

much  :heart: to the great people here at the shroomery!

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Re: The Shroomism Fund - Free Shroomism! [Re: wrestler_az]
    #3272226 - 10/24/04 06:48 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

We are currently up to $1007.11

That's so amazing!

--------------------

OfflineSnape
Eternal Chaos
Male

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
    #3272249 - 10/24/04 06:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Tell me something.

Why should I pay for someone I do not know, why should I pay for someone who is nothing more than mere pixels in a screen to me?

If I was in his situation, there'd be no "Free Snape!" fundation or such. Just because he is a popular and/or respected Shroomery member, I should give away some of my money because he got careless for a moment and got busted? Hehehe.

--------------------
I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and
I'll make the stars shine again

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: The Shroomism Fund - Free Shroomism! [Re: Snape]
    #3272342 - 10/24/04 07:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

where i come from you only need 10% down on your bail. wouldnt he only need$600 or were the numbers listed 10% of the origonal total.
i.e. in chicago if you get sentanced with $5,000 bail you need $500 to get out

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineSnape
Eternal Chaos
Male

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
Re: The Shroomism Fund - Free Shroomism! [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3272362 - 10/24/04 07:28 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

What the fuck? I don't get it...

--------------------
I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and
I'll make the stars shine again

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
Re: The Shroomism Fund - Free Shroomism! [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3272367 - 10/24/04 07:28 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

That would be to pay a bondsman and he can't get a bondsman services being from out of state.

Thanks for that info, 40, gotta link to the pdf please?

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
    #3272375 - 10/24/04 07:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Snape said:
Tell me something.

Why should I pay for someone I do not know, why should I pay for someone who is nothing more than mere pixels in a screen to me?

If I was in his situation, there'd be no "Free Snape!" fundation or such. Just because he is a popular and/or respected Shroomery member, I should give away some of my money because he got careless for a moment and got busted? Hehehe.

Maybe me and you should try a little harder to make friends if we're concerned with that, hmmm?
:smile:

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

#3272392 - 10/24/04 07:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Snape said:
Tell me something.

No one is forcing you to do anything against your will.

--------------------

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: The Shroomism Fund - Free Shroomism! [Re: CherryBom]
    #3272544 - 10/24/04 08:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'd throw $20.00 your way
snape...As long as you weren't
getting thrown in the can once a
week!!!!!Nofindum...

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3272661 - 10/24/04 08:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

With an attitude like that, I can see why there wouldn't be a "free snape" thread :smirk:

No one said you have to help out, why bother to argue about it? You may not make close friends in an online community...but that certainly doesn't mean that NO ONE does. Many of us do, and many of us have friends here who are much closer friends than many of our "real life" friends. Shroomism is my friend. I've met the man in person. I've shook his hand and felt the friendship in return. I've seen it in his eyes. He is my friend.

I like to look out for my friends, and so are willing to part with something as insignificant to me as paper with dead guys printed on it just to see my friends free, happy, and still able to return my friendship.

:heart: Shroomsim. I know you'll pull through this one, buddy! You are strong, you will survive! :smile:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: The Shroomism Fund - Free Shroomism! [Re: trendal]
    #3272744 - 10/24/04 09:14 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah fuck Snape im sending a 20 spot tomorrow ...
I fuckking hate police worse than Paradis

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Edited by Eatmydickcom (10/24/04 09:42 PM)

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #3272828 - 10/24/04 09:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Snape said:
Tell me something.

Why should I pay for someone I do not know ...

You shouldn't.  This isn't a sale, so there will be no selling involved.  This is merely designed as a call for voluntary support to those so inclined. 

On all too rare of occasion, some people don't need reasons to help other people.
..some kind of weird love of life thing I suppose :shrug: :heart:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub