Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineplanit
natural
Loc: hilly glacier washout
bacteria in plenty of my jars due to wet seed.still good for spawn?
    #3267793 - 10/23/04 12:49 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

cat has jars that have the sour apple smell but growth is complete. can cat still use to to spawn straw?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: bacteria in plenty of my jars due to wet seed.still good for spawn? [Re: planit]
    #3271010 - 10/24/04 10:10 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i have a similar prob, the jars smell like fermented apple juice. not sure if theres a significant amount of bacteria in there or anything like that bc i dont see large pools and it doesnt smell very rotten just fermented. does yours smell awful or just like mine?

i made a casing with similar jars that have recovered very well from the crumbling and have made a good thick mat through the substarate and are breaking the casing layer. Maybe i shouldnt eat anything from this shit, but it doesnt smell like the jars did anymore, just like pure myc.

i haver some jars of a similar discription that i want to use to spawn also, and have asked about it in gen cult. it seems like these things that i have at least should colonize the substrate no problem, i just dont know if there is a real contam risk.

thought id give a word or two on this, but i kno it didnt help much. hopefully we can find out some info for eachother.

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: bacteria in plenty of my jars due to wet seed.still good for spawn? [Re: planit]
    #3271187 - 10/24/04 11:27 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Any sour apple smell is a sure sign of Bacillus. There could be any number of other players, but Bacillus is often predominant because it's so fast growing. If you're trying to decide whether to use contaminated spawn, consider how much contamination there is/was. Most of the time the very fact that the mycelium wins indicates a low level of bacteria. Even after 'winning', there will still be bacteria around. Spawning to straw is a good way to go, as bacillus can't compete as well. Casing the grain directly is likely OK too, but I'd recommend laying out the grain in a tray and checking to see that it completely recovers before casing.

Remember that just because something has an 'apple smell' doesn't mean it's always safe. It's a good idea to be conservative with contams.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: bacteria in plenty of my jars due to wet seed.still good for spawn? [Re: Suntzu]
    #3271208 - 10/24/04 11:37 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

so spawning 1 part spwan to 10 parts new substrate would be fine? im using 50 50 verm and castings. This stuff smells pretty strong but it is also fully colonized by myc.

i already have a casing like i said with some things that didnt have too much of a smell to it, and like i said it has bounced back healthily from what i can tell and is breaking the casing layer. i cant do the test you provided but it seems like growth is normal so am i in the clear?

all of this will be safe for consumption as long as the whole casing or whole bulk doesnt start smelling like these jars do?

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: bacteria in plenty of my jars due to wet seed.still good for spawn? [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #3271650 - 10/24/04 02:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

With a decent bulk substrate the smell should go away pretty quickly. I don't want to say that it's a good idea to mess around with any jars that still smell strong even after colonization, but if you do want to try it make sure to wash your hands well afterward. If everything progresses well w/no smells, and the fruits look healty and well-formed, I'd say you're safe.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: bacteria in plenty of my jars due to wet seed.still good for spawn? [Re: Suntzu]
    #3272935 - 10/24/04 08:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

good info. i trashed my casing and spawn both bc i wasnt comfortable with what i was seeing upon more rigorous inspection. good luck to planit though.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck