Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Need help with internet connection
    #3271471 - 10/24/04 03:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I live at this apartment complex, and they have free ethernet, and its fast. Here's the catch, your computer and your NIC's MAC has to be registered with the provider that my apartment uses. That MAC is connected to personal information, in case something does happen.

If you don't register you are automatically forwarded to the company's registration page. A friend of mine recently mentioned that he could circumvent the registration. His apartments also have it, and its called netreg(open source, www.netreg.org) I never thought about how they could be spying on what I was doing with the apartment's ethernet connection.

So what I did was copy the NIC settings like DNS, gateway, subnet mask, etc. I then changed my MAC address, and forced the IP through manual configuration. It works, I was connected without having to register a MAC.

This worked for about 6 weeks, and just last night it forwarded me to the registration page. I change the MAC and it doesn't work anymore. Any suggestion?

Edited by daussaulit (11/09/04 10:48 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Need help with internet connection [Re: daussaulit]
    #3339099 - 11/09/04 10:53 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

These nazis have a 250 meg / 24 hour limit. If you break it, the connection crawls.
They must be getting smarter. even though I had changed my MAC and IP many times, they somehow locked me out and claimed that I had a virus. They also said that if this "virus" thing happened again they might require someone to professionally clean my computer, and I'll need a receipt for it. fuck that shit.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Need help with internet connection [Re: daussaulit]
    #3340067 - 11/10/04 05:10 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

get a wireless card and stteal soeone elses conection, right now i have 4 unsecured networks that i can acess, and one secured (mine). then again i live in a college town.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Need help with internet connection [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3340349 - 11/10/04 07:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

there aren't any wireless networks close enough.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology