Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Heating the fruiting chamber
    #3271273 - 10/24/04 02:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hey people,

Been reading a lot lately about growing. I made up my mind to start a PMP with BRF.

The fruiting chamber will be placed in a room with temperatures between 62 and 70F. I want this to be more or less constant @ 74F.

I have been searching the posts about my idea but did not find really what I was looking for so here my question.

Does anyone have experience with heating of the FC with an aquarium heater (with thermostat) placed in the water between the perlite/geolite?

Any comments are welcome!

Tia,

MF

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
Re: Heating the fruiting chamber [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3271452 - 10/24/04 03:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

if i am right you can do this...
if not...just make a fruiting chamber like a tub in tub incubator

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast

#3271479 - 10/24/04 03:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah you can put a aquarium heater in the bottom of your pmp. If you get one that doesn't have an actual temp. setting you might have to mess with the low med high settings for a couple of days to get it right which means you'll be digging through your geolite/perlite but other than that its all good. :goodluck: :mushroom2:

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Re: Heating the fruiting chamber [Re: atomic1]
    #3271606 - 10/24/04 03:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Atomic and Hamurabi thanks 4 the answers!

The ones with temperature regulation on it are about twice the price of the other ones. So I might just buy two with a pin on it and then try out in which position it is doing best.
Before I even start incubating I am gonna test the incubation pod (tub in tub) and the pmp so when the jars are ready everything is settled.

I was considering to do the FC tub in tub as well like Hamurabi says , but then I will have to make the holes higher which has following disadvantages:
- another rubbermaid, price
- high holes for the hoses, for co2 to come out lower holes are better I read.
- maybe water will drop out less easy with lower holes....

The main problem now will be to avoid damaging the heater/or the plastic of the tub. Any suggestions how to keep the geolite away from the heater or is that not necesarry?

Kind regards,
MF

--------------------

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #3271637 - 10/24/04 04:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Am I the only one that sees tub in tub being incredibly anal? I just have a nice lil space heater in my grow area.

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast

#3271652 - 10/24/04 04:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think the geolite around the heater will hurt anything. You just gotta be sure to not let the water level get too low so you don't burn up the heater. Also, the pmp use air entrainment for air exchange in which case the exhaust holes are better placed high. Normally the lower holes would be right. Magash has wrote about it in the pmp tek and can explain it much better than I.  Do a search for the original pmp thread if you want to read it. I have this exact same set up and works great for me. :thumbup:

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

#3271783 - 10/24/04 04:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hej Atomic,

Yes I am aware of that PMP thread, actually got the idea from that thread, from Magash that is! :thumbup:
But if I am not mistaking the holes for the hoses of the airpump are gonna be slightly low, but way above the water/geolite level ofcourse. I read  that so the CO2 can escape cause CO2 tends to "drop" to the bottom.

Or am I lost now?

Thanks again Atomic! :sun:

--------------------

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Heating the fruiting chamber [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3271869 - 10/24/04 05:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kronnyQ said:
Am I the only one that sees tub in tub being incredibly anal? 

yes

kramer hasn't used a tub in tub in over a year but he still likes the idea, it is a damn good one and it works nice  :thumbup:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast

#3272832 - 10/24/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hey MushroomFiend, read this what the man wrote so i don't butcher it trying to tell you.

Magash said: If your making a PMP the holes go in the lid and there is a reason for it.

The fundamental principal behind using air entrainment is to sufficiently mix the two (fresh air and stale air) together and then re-distribute them back into the environment in a more balanced way that is then more beneficial to the mushroom crop. Without this sufficient mixing of the gasses present within the grow space, the crops will remain stunted and will likely never reach their optimum potential.

With the poor mans pod, the settling co2 air is met and diffused by a curtain of fresh air rising from beneath the Geo-lite surface. This rising flow of air is created from the air diffuser rod situated below the Geo-lite surface, which is powered by the air pump. The rising air pattern not only prohibits the heavier co2 air from settling down onto the bottom surface as usual but it also simultaneously diffuses the co2 with fresh air as it is distributed back into the environment or grow space where it can be put to good use.

In this way, the poor mans pod creates the same desired phenomenon as offered by more conventional means of air entrainment found in much larger-scale commercial applications where a mixing box is commonly used to accomplish this important task.

Hope it helps

:thumbup: :mushroom2:

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

#3275064 - 10/25/04 01:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Way cool of you Atomic! Even Magash but I doubt he will read this! :laugh:

So I only make holes in the lid of the PMP where the airhoses and heatercable go through!

Thanks a whole lot for your help!

But ill be back! lol :wink:

The kindest regards,
MF

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Heating the fruiting chamber [Re: george castanza]
    #3275732 - 10/25/04 04:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

george castanza said:
Quote:

kronnyQ said:
Am I the only one that sees tub in tub being incredibly anal? 

yes

kramer hasn't used a tub in tub in over a year but he still likes the idea, it is a damn good one and it works nice  :thumbup:

kronnyQ checkout the electric bill difference it may only be a few dollars a month difference but why would you want to heat your entire grow space to incubating temps? Do you have a seperate grow space for fruiting as well? Your grow space will have a 10-20 degree difference between top to bottom depending on ceiling height. TnT are an efficient means of creating a extremely stable environment! I sure hope you are the only one that sees them as being anal! They also heep them in a semi clean environment which in this hobby is a good thing, You can always spot a sloppy grower over time. :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3275887 - 10/25/04 05:43 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Be careful about the heaters. I have had many of the glass ones crack. If you do go with an aquarium heater get a metal one, I eventually went with one from Dr Foster & Smith that was pretty close to the price of a glass one and the heat adj is on a knob away from the heater so you don't gotta dig to adjust it. For some reason the site is down now so I can't give you a link right to it but you can reach em at www.drsfostersmith.com

I'm looking at their new catalog now and they got them on sale right now, 100w for $15 their stock # #ma-11956 if you can search for it when they get back online. Good luck!

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Re: Heating the fruiting chamber [Re: metasin]
    #3275901 - 10/25/04 05:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

recondite said:
Be careful about the heaters. I have had many of the glass ones crack. If you do go with an aquarium heater get a metal one, I eventually went with one from Dr Foster & Smith that was pretty close to the price of a glass one and the heat adj is on a knob away from the heater so you don't gotta dig to adjust it. For some reason the site is down now so I can't give you a link right to it but you can reach em at www.drsfostersmith.com

I'm looking at their new catalog now and they got them on sale right now, 100w for $15 their stock # #ma-11956 if you can search for it when they get back online. Good luck!

Hey Recondite,

I was thinking of buying a glas one actually, maybe I can protect it with some "mazed iron" (dont know the english name) which will allow water through but which mazes are small enough to stop the geolite from touching the glas of the heater.

Sincerely,
MF

--------------------

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3275921 - 10/25/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not too sure what mazed iron is but the geolite IMO shouldn't matter if it touches as long as the heater is fully submerged in H2O. I went through four glass heaters before I went to a metal one, I'm just hoping to save someone from going through the waste of cash that I did. :])

InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Heating the fruiting chamber [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3275935 - 10/25/04 06:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kronnyQ said:
Am I the only one that sees tub in tub being incredibly anal? I just have a nice lil space heater in my grow area.

You are also the only one who thinks shaking PF jars helps improve colonization  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek
Fast, easy, fool proof inoculation
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

#3275946 - 10/25/04 06:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

recondite said:
I'm not too sure what mazed iron is but the geolite IMO shouldn't matter if it touches as long as the heater is fully submerged in H2O.  I went through four glass heaters before I went to a metal one, I'm just hoping to save someone from going through the waste of cash that I did. :])

How did the glass break then? I had aquariums years ago and they never broke...
Mazed iron is like all crossed iron wires, like used in petcages (hamsters or chickens). Like an iron net actually! :smile:

Ok 1 thing is for sure that water will evaporize and one should keep the heater under water ofcourse....

--------------------

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3275975 - 10/25/04 06:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MushroomFriend said:
How did the glass break then?

I'm not sure why they broke, all I know is when I went to clean them the glass was broken. They were fully submerged and not a cheap heater. Marineland brand I think. From that site these metal ones are actually cheaper than the glass ones right now so I would consider it.
EZ  :stoned:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3275976 - 10/25/04 06:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Glass ones work fine at least mine have over the years never a problem! :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3275992 - 10/25/04 06:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

btw, they were in my african cichlid tank, where it laid on the bottom, not in a PMP or anything, I can imagine the results with only a little bit of water like in a PMP compared to an all out fish only aquarium.

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

#3276009 - 10/25/04 06:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

hmz i never had problems in my south american cichlid aquarium! :laugh:

I will give it a go with the glass ones, actually here I never saw metal ones! And I have been browsing numerous shops and ebay kinda things.

But thanks a lot 4 your input though! Cause IF the glass breaks then I..... :p

Adios!

MF

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation