Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Dog and cat poo as substrate....?
    #3270515 - 10/24/04 03:30 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Have friends who've seen and done it all but this thought just came to me.....Anybody ever use dog or cat poo for substrate to mix with straw? Usually just use straight straw for bulk because storing cow poo in a small apartment in the city isn't really an option. Got cats and clean up their shit once a week so I was thinking of putting it to use. Any thoughts? Worth the effort?

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: Dog and cat poo as substrate....? [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3270539 - 10/24/04 03:41 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

nope, only animals that feed on grass plants etc etc poo will work, the only thing that will be growing is contams mate!

--------------------

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dog and cat poo as substrate....? [Re: aussieone]
    #3270541 - 10/24/04 03:43 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

horse and cow type animals is the preferred shit

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: Dog and cat poo as substrate....? [Re: george castanza]
    #3270673 - 10/24/04 05:03 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Poo from carnivores is a no-no, in the garden and I presume mycology. It's nasty toxic shit.

OfflineDr_Nick_Riviera
Forum Guy

Loc: Australia
    #3270787 - 10/24/04 07:09 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yeah you wouldnt want that, I think its something to do with the pH in the crap or something. If it was the pH in it and you really wanted to grow ur crop on something rover had passed then you could probably level it out with something basic/alkaline or if its too basic then add some acidic stuff to it. It would be kinda weird though having to read up on dog shit to the point where you understand why msuhrooms can't grow on it.

Offlinearbalest
wut kent?
Male

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Dog and cat poo as substrate....? [Re: Dr_Nick_Riviera]
    #3270794 - 10/24/04 07:20 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yep, carnivore poo would be shit. No pun intended. Herbivore crap is the stuff, especially horses I would think, because the cellulose in the food they eat, is not broken down fully till after it leaves the small intestine, so not much of it is absorbed (Sometimes animals with this kind of digestive system eat their own crap cause there is so much broken down energy after they shit it out). Therefore, you have good nute and enery rich crap.

Hope this helps.

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
    #3271075 - 10/24/04 10:48 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Does anyone have any actualy evidence that this feces WONT work, or are you just al lparroting what people have told you?

On a related note my friend tried this just before he ate some LSD. Now he thinks hes an orange/orangejuice-in-a-glass and hes in a mental hospital and if anyon comes near him he thinks he's going to get peeled/spilled. Read: drug urban legend

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dog and cat poo as substrate....? [Re: retread]
    #3271108 - 10/24/04 10:59 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

if you have never been a glass of oj you've never really tripped:lol:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Invisiblenoxy
Dr
 User Gallery

Loc: its more a time, not a pl...
    #3271280 - 10/24/04 12:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

it's recommended that all manure be well composted before being added to soil where vegetables or fruit are growing. Bacteria will survive winter freezing so fall garden applications and even "aged manure" additions provide no guarantee of a garden free of potential disease organisms.

The heat produced through proper composting will kill most pathogens. The compost should heat to 130 or 140 degrees for five days or more to be more effective. Even so, research has shown that 2 to 120 percent of the pathogens survive.

Following the hot compost phase, a "curing" period of 2 to 4 months allows beneficial microbes to outcompete disease pathogens and produces an acceptable organic soil amendmen.

Cat and Dog poo will work in the flower bed
but dont use it on your shrooms or your vegitable garden the chance
of catching a horrible desiese is very great

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: Dog and cat poo as substrate....? [Re: noxy]
    #3271290 - 10/24/04 12:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't recommend the fresh stuff even for the flower beds. It will drastically lower the soil's pH due to the leaching of ammonium compounds.

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Dog and cat poo as substrate....? [Re: discman1]
    #3273890 - 10/25/04 12:43 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Cool.. thanks for the input...

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

OfflineTonyMontana
Montana RealtyCompany

#5719162 - 06/06/06 02:29 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

It works... according to "The Keeper." Just look at my sig.

--------------------
"GULF COAST TEXAS SYRINGE! EVERYTHING IS BIG IN TEXAS! Dear Keeper, I send you these pictures and spores so you may pass on this wonderful strain to the world! My cat accidentally ate a spore print and washed it down with 'Keepers Brew' when I wasn't looking. He took a 'DUMP' in your Kit A and before I new what had happened I found these monsters! WHAT THE HELL IS IN THAT BREW!?!? $35.00 + S/H " - SporeTradingPost's 'Keeper': douchebag of the century! [a not so cleverly fabricated testimonial for his website that is only effective in making even his pretend customers look like morons]

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #5719601 - 06/06/06 04:19 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
please check the post date before replying.

thanks. :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds