Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineguest23
Stranger
Riceflour as Substrate
    #3270783 - 10/24/04 09:04 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hello,
I have experience growing cubensis and I'd like to try cultivating an edible mushroom without learning all new techniques. Is there an edible mushroom that grows on riceflour cakes like cubensis does? I looked at button mushrooms and oysters and couldn't find any info on growing them on rice flour.

Help is appreciate, thx so much

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Riceflour as Substrate [Re: guest23]
    #3271198 - 10/24/04 01:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Offlineguest23
Stranger
Re: Riceflour as Substrate [Re: ragadinks]
    #3271430 - 10/24/04 02:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the info, now I know it can be done. Does anyone know specifically if button mushrooms will grow in riceflour cakes though? I noticed my local hardware store carries 1lb. bags of chicken manure, would that work better than rice flour? And would I follow the PF teks using jars, etc (yes I know the temperature and humidity would be different).

EDIT: Also, where can I get a spore syringe for Agaricus bisporus (Button mushrooms) Sporeworks is all sold out.

Thanks

Edited by guest23 (10/24/04 03:14 PM)

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

#3302343 - 10/31/04 09:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Can't help with growing the buttons really- but you can make your own syringes pretty easily.  Not my idea originally, but it's been years and I can't remember where I first heard of it.  I used the same method on some other mushrooms with partial veils and it worked.

Find a large mushroom at the grocery store- preferably the same day they are put on the shelf.  Pick out a few that still have solid partial veils, no gills exposed at all.  Try for one that feels lighter, hopefully having more air space between the gills and covering.

Wash mushroom in peroxide, mist with alcohol, and keep it between clean paper towels while you're working or whenever you set it down.  I mist the paper towels with lysol spray too, just habit.  Work up some syringes with distilled water, (all sterilized).  Flame needle.  While needle is still hot inject about a cc or two through the side of the cap into the air space under the gills. 

Let filled mushroom sit under paper in dry area for an hour, shake it around a little bit.  Wash mushroom again,  flame needle again, and withdraw the water you injected earlier, into the water still in the syringe.

This might not give you a strong concentration of spores, since the mushroom is so young, but there should be enough to get started.  It's also cleaner than making a sporeprint and risking more direct exposure to dirty air.  Either way you'll probably have to start several plates to get some clean ones.

You could try cloning too, but Stamets says in GGMM (3rd ed. p. 219): "Tissue culturing of strains from store-bought mushrooms usually results in poorly-growing strains".  I've never tried it with buttons, since even good organically grown ones are cheaper when someone else grows them :smile:

BTW most of the button growing methods in the books are for indoors, you'll learn a lot more by reading it on paper, because there's not a lot of posting on the net about growing them, compared to other species more in vogue.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Don't listen to me, I'm a *noob* here LOL
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
Re: Riceflour as Substrate [Re: Gyromitra]
    #3308518 - 11/02/04 11:44 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

well oysters will grow faast as hell on anything i have grown them on bothe BRF cakes and WBS let me tell you they will take over the WBS so fast. i have a jars 5 days after inoculation that is 100 % done i think im going to try and case it for fun. I was just doing this as an experiment to see if you could cultivate organics in the same way as cubes im also experimenting with Black Poplar mushrooms which colonize slower but are still doing really well

so i would suggest WBS if you no looking to grow and straw and poo good luck my freind

-mike

ps most places are sold out of button mushrooms and portabellas because there was not enough demand as there drop shipper desided to stop collecting cause i had a nice long talk with the owner of TLG about this and he says chances they will ever come back are small. Good Luck id go with oysters or black poplar anyway they have a more unique taste and look to them

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

OfflineDrGidget
shroomeater
    #3309049 - 11/02/04 02:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

use the recommended substrate!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms