Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Anyone into Tai Chi...?
    #3269685 - 10/24/04 12:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I always thought it was really stupid... But I was reading an interview with one of my idols, Iggy Pop (who's holding together an incredible physique at 57 years old), and he said that he swears by it.

iggy:

I was just wondering if anyone was into it. If so, is it the kind of thing I can do off videos? Or should I try and get into a class?

Thanks for any help, guys.

:cheers:

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: Gijith]
    #3269791 - 10/24/04 01:36 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I tried it for a little bit. I think it helps with bloodflow. It definately made me feel better.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: cb9fl]
    #3269878 - 10/24/04 02:04 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

That is the foulest picture I've ever seen. If you are thinking of taking tai chi because of that dude, you have issues way beyond the support group forum can even begin to help you with.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Offlinekbilly
earthwalker

Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: looner2]
    #3270107 - 10/24/04 03:14 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

my friends a teacher, and its exercise but it wont give you a body like that. its about being grounded emotionally and physically, as in steady as a rock, it works with chi universal energy, and since it involves concentration its a type of meditation, if its piece of mind and some low impact exercise your after i recomend it but its a long term time of thing as in part of your daily routine forever.

if you want to look like him go to the gym. and take lotsa drugs.

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: kbilly]
    #3270512 - 10/24/04 05:27 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I took a couple tai chi classes last winter. but they where too far away, and a bitch for me to get to them..

I'm thinking about joining a yoga class soon

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in
Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: funkymonk]
    #3270545 - 10/24/04 05:45 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i really want to start tai chi as well...
i want to find my bodys balance and be able to use my body as originally intended!

i think as soon as i have some money and time i'm gonna start up on tai chi or something similar anyway!

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #3271886 - 10/24/04 05:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
That is the foulest picture I've ever seen. If you are thinking of taking tai chi because of that dude, you have issues way beyond the support group forum can even begin to help you with.

I think the guy is in pretty good shape considering the lifestyle he's had, and his age. Youd be lucky to be in shape like that too. I think Tai Chi helps in so many ways: Physical (helps your cardio, and muscles) Mental (Relaxes you, helps ALOT with dealing with stress), and gives you a sense of well being and control over your body. Its a practice that has been around for 1000's of years, and still works! It's catching on slowly over here. Ive done it a few times, and its not as easy as it looks!

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: Northernsoul]
    #3272168 - 10/24/04 06:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think the guy is in pretty good shape considering the lifestyle he's had, and his age. Youd be lucky to be in shape like that too.

lol, if by "pretty good shape" you mean looking like a malnurished pipecleaner, then yes, I agree.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: kbilly]
    #3272189 - 10/24/04 06:40 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

kbilly and Norhtern,
Thanks for the info.

looner,
Iggy's an ugly dude for sure. Years and years of heroin use and rolling around in glass will do that to a guy. But in terms of his actual fitness, he's tip top for his age. Read up on him.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlineannielicious
pisces
Female

#3279102 - 10/26/04 01:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have started my Tai Chi Chuan practice in the last few months. I LOVE IT!! I have already started to feel my Chi (energy) in my body start to surface and change. I think you can probably get some benefit from video, however, nothing can beat great teacher. They can help you with your practice as well as set a mood and goals for your practice.

I have also taken yoga classes as well as tapes, and I think that at the beginning of anything new taking a class is great since it can start you in the habit and also set a mental, physical, emotional and spiritual tone for your lifestyle changes.

--------------------
"Everything that limits us, we have to put aside."  Jonathan Livingston Seagull

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#3279216 - 10/26/04 01:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Do it. I like doing thai chi remindes me now that I want a chai. But yeah its cool, do the classes videos are lame.

--------------------

OfflineKing Koopa
Mr. Hit Dat Hoe
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Houston
    #10119408 - 04/06/09 10:30 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:

This.

--------------------
Best Post on the Shroomery
Don't criticize my mess unless you'd like to become part of it.

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: King Koopa]
    #10119521 - 04/06/09 10:49 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Qi Gong is pretty good too. It's quite similar to Tai Chi.

There's a Qi Gong training video by Ken Cohen which is worth a look if you're interested.

--------------------

Invisiblesterbeklang
w/e
Male

Loc: Filthy Rock
Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: Mufungo]
    #10120033 - 04/07/09 12:07 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mufungo said:
Qi Gong is pretty good too. It's quite similar to Tai Chi.

There's a Qi Gong training video by Ken Cohen which is worth a look if you're interested.

Yeah, I was really serious about Qigong for awhile... the variant known as Falun Dafa.  The exercises will do wonders for you.

--------------------

Edited by sterbeklang (04/07/09 01:47 AM)

InvisibleChronic7
 User Gallery
    #10121523 - 04/07/09 07:31 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Im not sure about tai chi but when i do some stretches i always do it with full awareness of my body & it beocmes like a tai chi sorta vibe, you tune into your bodys inner balances & harmonize mind & body

I presume thats what tai chis about?

Just find your flow, play with yourself & see what comes naturally, just do it with awareness & you can't in any way fail

:peace:

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: Chronic7]
    #10124696 - 04/07/09 07:21 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I've been doing it for years. Don't just go through the motions like you were doing pushups or something and wanted to get it over. It's physical but you must be mindful of what you're doing. Do it slowly and be aware at every moment. Later, you can do it fast with the same mindfulness.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

InvisibleChronic7
 User Gallery
Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #10128593 - 04/08/09 10:40 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
be aware at every moment

not just in tai chi :thumbup:

:peace:

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: Chronic7]
    #10129635 - 04/08/09 02:08 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Very true, Chronic777. Tai chi is a form of moving meditation. It helps you realize who and what you are. A question for you or for anyone:  Who is seeing the seer?

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #10130643 - 04/08/09 04:50 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

The Tao of course! My question to you: Does the Tao have eyes?

I bought a book on Tai Chi and I read through the introduction and learned the first few movements but it was tough to do by myself. The book I bought was written by a student of Yang Chengfu, who developed Yang style Taijiquan:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Yang-Style-Taijiquan-Zhongwen/dp/1583941525/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239223455&sr=1-2

It's very good and very detailed - VERY detailed. He explains in the book though that it should be used to compliment actual practice with a teacher.

I started reading this book but I had to bring it back to the library so I think I will buy it and finish:

http://www.amazon.com/Embrace-Tiger-Return-Mountain-Essence/dp/0890875049/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239223669&sr=1-1

It was really nice because he explained, really, the essence of tai chi as the title says. He first explains how to get into the movement of it without worrying about any specific form. His idea is that everyone can be their own tai chi master, which I agree with. How can there be one "right" style when others branch off? they obviously didn't think it was right for them, so why would it be right for you?

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Re: Anyone into Tai Chi...? [Re: fazdazzle]
    #10131079 - 04/08/09 05:51 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

There are many styles of yang tai chi and other forms of tai chi. One thing they all have in common is the movement of the waist. When you do a movement you don't just move your hands or just your arms. The whole body is involved and the waist of course with it. First you become aware of your chi, then later you are able to move it around. Much later you become a master and can do the tricks spoken of. The goal is not to do tricks, it's to become aware.

The tao is the way.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being