Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Better to be detested...
    #3269475 - 10/23/04 11:43 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Before I adopted the Swami persona, I was a quiet little field mouse; extremely careful of everybody's feelings and ever so polite.

I used to play backgammon at this bar on Friday nights with a loud, crude jerk named Justin. This was NOT a large place, but after a year of weekly visits, the bartenders and waitresses STILL did not know my name; whereas everyone knew Justin within a few days or hours. Most claimed to be disgusted with him yet they all greeted him. (BTW, we were about equal in tipping, so that was NOT a factor.) A hot young lady would come in and he would bellow out something crude and the girl would get red-faced and mumble to her friend "What an asshole!" Two weeks later she would end up going to Cancun with Justin.

Moral of the story: better to receive strong feelings from others; either positive or negative, (at least they think about you more often) than to be invisible. :devil:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLord_of_Fungus
The AlmightyLord & Master ofThe Universe

Re: Better to be detested... [Re: Swami]
    #3269572 - 10/24/04 12:20 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Fame is a narcotic craved by those who have no sense of self worth.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3269578 - 10/24/04 12:23 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I would rather be hated than ignored...no question on that one. It shows you have an impact. I really enjoy setting myself up to make an unpopular point in real life and here.

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

Re: Better to be detested... [Re: Lord_of_Fungus]
    #3269591 - 10/24/04 12:28 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Self worth is a narcotic craved by those who have no fame.

These are very personal and subjective(for the people other than those who believe it) statements. I think that it depends on the individual.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Better to be detested... [Re: Lord_of_Fungus]
    #3269702 - 10/24/04 01:05 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Not to get all political, but I think Ralph Nader is the candidate most concerned about the American people and the Constitution, but he does not get noticed. Many are lukewarm about him.

Bush & Kerry are either loved or despised and one will be the next prez though I doubt either has the best interest of the "average" American at heart.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3269890 - 10/24/04 02:08 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

better to receive strong feelings from others; either positive or negative, (at least they think about you more often) than to be invisible

Spoken like a true egotist. :smile:

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Better to be detested... [Re: Jellric]
    #3269904 - 10/24/04 02:12 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

There are two types of people here Jell; those who pretend they are not egotists (those unsurprisingly are usually the first to anger and be offended) and those who admit it. Wait, there is only one type of person here...

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

#3269945 - 10/24/04 02:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Would it kill the debate if..

I agree.

:nonono:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Better to be detested... [Re: Jellric]
    #3269958 - 10/24/04 02:28 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Damn you! (Swami's balloon deflates). Now where is the fun?

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

#3269974 - 10/24/04 02:33 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It's funny you would mention balloons because I just decided it would be fun to launch one of my patented fire balloons into the dense fog tonight. That halo effect might be interesting..

--------------------

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3270721 - 10/24/04 07:58 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I find it incredibly hard to be obnoxious, almost impossible. I seem to gravitate many people towards me, but as they learn I am not very opinionated or crudge, they arent as interested. It honestly puzzles me. I'd like to keep who I am but at the same time be a little more out-spoken. I dont see the need to be "loud and crude." Human behavior is very confusing, they say and mean two totally different things. They may claim someone is an asshole, but they will gravitate positively towards that persons persona. This is probably why Buddhism isnt as popular as say...mainstream Christianity?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineJ4S0N
human
 User Gallery

Re: Better to be detested... [Re: psyka]
    #3270733 - 10/24/04 08:10 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

People usually like to hang out with someone like that rather then someone who sits around saying nothing. The loud asshole finds a place in any social group. Maybe people like to compare themselves to him, and it gives them a little ego boost. Or he provides some sort of entertainment.

People love the asshole, especially women it seems. It makes sense though, not to many people want to be with someone that makes them feel like the asshole.

--------------------
"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media." ~ William Colby, Former Director, CIA

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3270781 - 10/24/04 09:02 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I disagree completely.

I'm perfectly content being ignored by the kind of people who gravitate towards loud and annoying individuals.

I don't need people constantly following at my heels.. I've long since accepted my place as a quiet and reserved individual.

I'd rather be "invisible" than be constantly bombarded by other peoples' feelings, whether they be positive or negative.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Better to be detested... [Re: J4S0N]
    #3270827 - 10/24/04 10:01 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

"People usually like to hang out with someone like that rather then someone who sits around saying nothing. "

I wonder what is wrong with saying nothing at all?

can people just enjoy the space without having to speak?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Better to be detested... [Re: kaiowas]
    #3270878 - 10/24/04 10:45 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

--------------

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3270898 - 10/24/04 10:58 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I couldn't agree more. There are two kinds of people those with egos and hypocrites. I would prefer to admit a big ego and an obnoxious attitude. At least I know what my limitations and strengths are. It gives one an edge to know one's self.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Better to be detested... [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3271057 - 10/24/04 12:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

:whack: Admitting the ego's existence and influence is realizing it into existence in the first place.

Little field mice cannot become the centers of attention; they are too small, too easily damaged. They need to grow into a completely different animal, larger, stronger, and more able to defend themselves. If they seek inclusion in a dog-eat-dog world then they must be prepared to attack and defend. I simply don't want to do these things since they oppose my base principles. Thus, I'm content to be the little field mouse, free of ego, gladly talking to those who, of the same mind as I, will notice me through the thick brush of socialization and ignorance.

--------------------
Nothing is sacred!
Life is tough--thick-skinned--impenetrable--so that it can function--work--create--dance--live!

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    #3271067 - 10/24/04 12:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I couldn't agree more. There are two kinds of people those with egos and hypocrites. I would prefer to admit a big ego and an obnoxious attitude. At least I know what my limitations and strengths are. It gives one an edge to know one's self.

To know one's self? Do you assert that the ego is part of yourself? Think of it this way: The ego is like a thick fog suspended over certain parts of your fundamental self. Yes, the ego does exist, conventionally, but it is not part of yourself. It is simply a fog, preventing you from seeing and knowing yourself truly. Death to the ego! :scrambled:

--------------------
Nothing is sacred!
Life is tough--thick-skinned--impenetrable--so that it can function--work--create--dance--live!

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Better to be detested... [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3271127 - 10/24/04 01:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The ego is integral to the self...it IS your sense of self. Without ego you are only awareness like a newly born baby. Everyone on this forum has a sense of self therefore an ego. To say that the ego is not part of the self is to not understand what an ego is. It is good to develop an ego that performs in harmony with the egos of others. Knowing the limitations and strengths of one's personality allows change to occur. Not acknowledging one's faults is self delusion, and it is counter productive.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3271170 - 10/24/04 01:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Without ego you are only awareness like a newly born baby

Except, a newborn baby with knowledge, experience and wisdom. None of those three are necessarily relative to having a false center of self; i.e., the ego.

Indeed I can know myself as the space and awareness in which all things take place, and use the knowledge, experience, wisdom and all other information that my brain has stored over this lifetime when necessary to the given situation at the moment.

I realize that there are alot of used definitions when it comes to the ego, but when I use it here, I am referring to the false/fleeting/illusionary sense of self.

Here is an excerpt from the following site: Ego - The False Center

The ego has a certain quality - it is dead. It is a plastic thing. And it is very easy to get it, because others give it. You need not seek it, there is no search involved. That's why unless you become a seeker after the unknown, you have not yet become an individual. You are just a part of the crowd. You are just a mob.

When you don't have a real center, how can you be an individual?

The ego is not individual. Ego is a social phenomenon - it is society, its not you. But it gives you a function in the society, a hierarchy in the society. And if you remain satisfied with it, you will miss the whole opportunity of finding the self.

And that's why you are so miserable.

With a plastic life, how can you be happy?

With a false life, how can you be ecstatic and blissful? And then this ego creates many miseries, millions of them.

You cannot see, because it is your own darkness. You are attuned to it.

Have you ever noticed that all types of miseries enter through the ego? It cannot make you blissful; it can only make you miserable.

Ego is hell.

Whenever you suffer, just try to watch and analyze, and you will find, somewhere the ego is the cause of it. And the ego goes on finding causes to suffer.

You are an egoist, as everyone is. Some are very gross, just on the surface, and they are not so difficult. Some are very subtle, deep down, and they are the real problems.

This ego comes continuously in conflict with others because every ego is so unconfident about itself. Is has to be - it is a false thing. When you don't have anything in your hand and you just think that something is there, then there will be a problem.

If somebody says, "There is nothing," immediately the fight will start, because you also feel that there is nothing. The other makes you aware of the fact.

Ego is false, it is nothing.

That you also know.

How can you miss knowing it? It is impossible! A conscious being - how can he miss knowing that this ego is just false? And then others say that there is nothing - and whenever the others say that there is nothing they hit a wound, they say a truth - and nothing hits like the truth.

You have to defend, because if you don't defend, if you don't become defensive, then where will you be?

You will be lost.

The identity will be broken.

So you have to defend and fight - that is the clash.

A man who attains to the self is never in any clash. Others may come and clash with him, but he is never in clash with anybody.

It happened that one Zen master was passing through a street. A man came running and hit him hard. The master fell down. Then he got up and started to walk in the same direction in which he was going before, not even looking back.

A disciple was with the master. He was simply shocked. He said, "Who is this man? What is this? If one lives in such a way, then anybody can come and kill you. And you have not even looked at that person, who he is, and why he did it."

The master said, "That is his problem, not mine."

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology