Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineharrb
Shroomepreneur

Loc: Alabama
Azurescnes
    #3268033 - 10/23/04 02:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hey guys,

this is my first attempt at growin any kind of shroom. I'm giving the azurescens a go-around, because that's all I want, it's the medicine. So far I've had excellent luck getting them colonized with vermiculite, and I have a couple jars in my terrarium. I gave them a cold treatment and they started buttoning out, but then it stopped. I'm using perlite for humidity, but after reading all these threads, I've realized I'm gonna need more than that. So until I can get an ultrasonic humidifier, I'm gonna mist them everyday and give them a cold treatment with icepaks every day. The cakes have been in there for almost 2 weeks with no shrooms, but whats interesting is that the cake is turning blue, so it must be building up with pysilicbyn. I just need to get it to fruit now. I have a humidity gauge in there and I'm fairly certain I can keep it between 90-95%. If anybody has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.  :eek:

--------------------
Everything I need... leave it to the trees... it can make me feel better!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRed
spun

Re: Azurescnes [Re: harrb]
    #3268327 - 10/23/04 03:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Azures typically require an outdoor environment to grow, they're a somewhat difficult mushrooms to cultivate.. and nearly impossible indoors.

Definatly not suitable for a first timer. :P

--------------------
Pussy Thunderclap, snap my back. Chop me into peices, and serve me as a snack.

Offlineharrb
Shroomepreneur

Re: Azurescnes [Re: Red]
    #3268548 - 10/23/04 04:27 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

We'll see, I'm a persistant B@st@rd. The jars are almost fully colonized and SNOW white. I came up with an idea that I'm gonna put into play in the next couple of days. I'll keep anybody updated who wishes to be. I think this will blow the roof off of any previous indoor cultivation of azures, but I don't wanna get to cocky just yet. By the way, when inoculating wood chips for outdoor beds (assuming you have vermiculite cakes) how would you do it? Would you just place the cake in a container and cover it with the chips, or would you cut the cake into several disks and spread them throughout the container???

harrb

--------------------

Invisiblefreakygurl
Stranger
Re: Azurescnes *DELETED* [Re: harrb]
    #3268753 - 10/23/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by freakygurl

Reason for deletion: .

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: Azurescnes [Re: freakygurl]
    #3268866 - 10/23/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

azures need 2-3 weeks of cold temperatures before they fruit. they also (so i hear) do like to hav a natural environment, especially with elaves, they love to sneak through the leaves and shoot of boomers at the edges of the patch.

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Offlineharrb
Shroomepreneur

Re: Azurescnes [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3268987 - 10/23/04 06:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I heard that azures like to have 50F temperatures. I can't put them in my refridgerator cause its too cold and if I turn up the temp in there, then all my food will go bad. What I started doin was lining the terrarium with icepaks every night, and I can manage to get the temp down to about 55 degrees for a few hours, so I guess we'll just have to see. I don't have any foliage in there, just cakes on a screen above perlite, which I'm starting to debate (the presence of cakes alone). And I also realized that the perlite wont keep my humidity around 95%, so I been misting distilled water in there whenever humidity levels drop. Thanks for the advice, and anymore would be appreciated. I know that azures are an extremly hard project for a first time grower, but I'm very determined, and I've put a lot of love and prayers into these guys, so I don't want to give up now. It's all trial and error. I still have 9 cakes that haven't been put in the terrarium yet, 3 which are snow white, and all of them are growin rapidily with each day, so my motivation is still strong.

harrb

--------------------

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
    #3271134 - 10/24/04 11:10 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

First of all, just get a used ultra sonic humidifier for 10 bucks and use that to keep levels high for humidification. A ultrasonic humidifier blows clean mist into the terrarium at all times, when you open the top lid, the dense humid air flows out like a waterfall over the top of the terrarium. It is like in the movies when they pull the top off a jar or bin and all the white gas flows over, it is really cool.

This keeps the terrarium at 100% humidity at all time, just keep it running 247. It's a really amazing product for mushroom cultivation those ultra sonic humidifiers.

It seems the strategy for azures is either to have a room cold enough in your home, for instance you could put the terrarium in your kitchen and not heat that part of the house, or you must use an existing fridge or purchase a small specific one for the purpose of cultivation azures.

Edited by Fluxburn (10/24/04 11:11 AM)

OfflineGordoSmith
Fatty

Re: Azurescnes [Re: Fluxburn]
    #3271421 - 10/24/04 12:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Where would one get an ultrasonic humidifier?

--------------------
Wow, those are some fat ass stems.

Offlineharrb
Shroomepreneur

Re: Azurescnes [Re: GordoSmith]
    #3272073 - 10/24/04 04:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GordoSmith said:
Where would one get an ultrasonic humidifier?

You can get a new ultrasonic humidifier at most pet shops for around $40. A minifridge would be a good thing to have, unfortunately I live with my parents, so I'm trying to be the least obvious as I can.  However, I do have a friend thats helpin me with the project, so he could keep it at his house.  We are gonna use probably have the cakes for indoor and half for outdoor.  I was lookin at the "coffee project" on another thread, I'm thinkin about giving that a shot.  Also, I might be able to use my existing refridgerator, even though it stays around 35 degrees, but hell, azures grow in Austria where its even colder than that, so we'll see.  Thanks for all the advice so far, I'll make sure to keep everyone updated on what kind of progress I'm gettin.  Question though: my cakes in the terrarium aren't fruiting, but the cakes are turning blue.  Could that be a buildup of psyilocybn??? 

harrb :mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3273127 - 10/24/04 08:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

running your ultra sonic humidifier 24/7 isnt a good idea in my opinion, some say it is a fire hazard but i just find running a ush, especially a used one, 24/7 would result in the ultra sonic plate thinger to die. besides this, like you said it will keep the terrarium @ 100% RH, i find this may work for pinning, but when there are large fruit bodies its beneficial to have the RH at around 80-90% to encourage fruit body expansion, this is a result of the outside air RH being lower then the fruitbodies moisture level, it will expand as it grows faster if the air RH is less then the mushy rh.

solution: run ush on intervals to keep rh from dropping too low, or installing an automation setup like pokesmot.

for more info on the expansion gradient thing i tried to explain search for "co2 respiration" there is a nice quote that explains this.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Azurescnes [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3273173 - 10/24/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

they need lots of fresh air lots n lots.  And a constant moist enviroment.  Typicaly they are found under a coat of leaves.  That provides a nice moist space where evaperation by thermal heat gets traped and condences. :blah:

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
    #3273827 - 10/25/04 12:14 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well since mushrooms at 95% water, it doesn't really make a difference I think. I also noticed the mod where you heat up a screw driver and shove a hole into the casing or substrate and put a straw into it and fill it up with water each day you get amazing flushes. Check this of 1 spawn bag I got like 10 flushes, and I just stopped at that point. So whatever, I am just going by experience here.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Offlineharrb
Shroomepreneur

#3274701 - 10/25/04 09:06 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I actually did that with one of the too cakes I have in my terrarium.  I took a drill bit (after sterilizing it) and made a hole in the top of my cake, then stuck a straw in it.  I filled it all the way up, but it doesn't seem to take in all that much water.  And as of right now, I can't see a difference between the too cakes, but we'll see.  I'm thinkin those cakes are through, but I still have 9 other cakes to work with, and I've already got several ideas of what to do with them.

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #3303710 - 11/01/04 05:43 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

jj

Offlineharrb
Shroomepreneur

Re: Azurescnes [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #3309477 - 11/02/04 02:09 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

We are all newbies at one time or another.  It's because of a newbie's determination that new things are accomplished.  If they can put a man on the moon, then I can grow azures indoors.  Let's try to keep some positive motivation flowin in this thread, please.  Besides, I am currently testing a method that is promising for growing azures indoors, in abundance.  I'll keep everyone posted.  New advice is always welcome.

--------------------

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#3310078 - 11/02/04 03:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

The discovery of new things of course wouldn't happen without determination and experimentation. However, jumping into a difficult task right away is a sure way to accomplish failure. No offense or anything, I know I wouldn't be capable of accomplishing azures indoors. But its one step at a time. Sure, they can put a man on the moon, but is that something the Wright brothers tried to do?

Having said that its unlikely, I don't see whats wrong with discussion of it. Even if its not going to be done by someone in the thread successfully, knowledge will still be gained, and more information on why its hard or not working too.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

OfflineAnArKey
Re: Azurescnes [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3315642 - 11/03/04 03:20 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I posted this in the coffee thread, but since it's azures I was mentioning, I think I can repeat on this thread.

Coffee has shown in the other species at least, to really encourage fruiting. That I think is the edge you can use to make azures happen in doors.

It would require at least a second generation after cloning to be sucessful. Mr. Hand should grow out some azure mycelium on grain that was soaked with dilute coffee. Left it in the jar, stuck in fridge, wait weeks. Ideally, Mr Hand would want a dedicated mini-fridge kept at around 50, and one with a light that you rig to always stay on. The first pin, let develop a little, then clone it. Make some new coffee/grain mycelium from that cloned tissue. Repeat. Good chance of having large invitro flushes by the second go around.

Edited by AnArKey (11/04/04 12:19 AM)

Offlineharrb
Shroomepreneur

GOOD NEWS! [Re: AnArKey]
    #3328856 - 11/06/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I got great news for all those trying to improve mycelium growth rate for azures! I asked Roger if he had tried the coffee project with azures, and he wasn't sure, so I did the test myself. I took 2 1/2pint cakes that had spent 3 weeks growing nothing in my terrarium, and a 1/4 pint of crumbled cake from another experiment that I didn't use. I dunked all three cakes in 50/50 water/coffee for one day at room temp. At the same time, I had a big bowl of hardwood chips (more like mulch) that I got from Lowe's. I mixed some vermiculite in there (about 3/8 as much as the mulch content), a little bit of previously sterilized top soil, and a little bit of brown rice flour. I poured 50/50 coffee/water into that mix as well and let it set for a day. The next day (Thursday), after everything had a day to soak in coffee-water, I took everything out. I took one of those Kitchen-Aid grinders that have the two spinning blades, sliced the cakes into pieces that would fit into the machine, then grinded the hell out of them. I drained the mulch mix of the coffee-water for about 10 minutes, then placed them in a rubbermaid container with lid that was about the size of a shoebox. Then I sprinkled the ground mycelium over it and mixed real good. I put the lid on the container and put it in a dark place to sit at room temp. I checked it tonight (Saturday - two days later) and the mycelium is spreading like wildfire, no joke. I have no doubt that it will take over that entire container within the next 5 days. So yes, coffee works EXTREMELY well with Azures. Also, in case you were wondering, I did not sterilize the woodchip/verm/brf mix, more like pasturized them with the hot coffee. I don't think sterilization here is a big issue because the coffee is making the mycelium so fast, that the container would be completely colonized before any infection could set in. But... I did make sure the room I mixed everything in was lysoled, so as to not infect it from the beginning. Give it a shot peeps, maybe if there are more people successful at getting the chips colonized indoors, we can work together to get the fruiting process right. I'm working on a method right now that I feel very confident in, but I'm going to test it before I start posting anything. One more thing, you should poor the hot coffee mix into the mulch mix bowl, but not when dunking the cakes. Make sure the coffe-water has cooled down to room temp before dunking them, and when you do, make sure the coffee-water completely submerges the cakes. Thank you to Hippie3 for the coffee dunkin idea. I give him full credit for the idea, but I'll take a little for doin it with azures . His procedure can be found at... http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/103314.html?1075388611

PS ~ Uh oh, newbie is takin his first baby steps...and I ain't stoppin there!

harrb

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: GOOD NEWS! [Re: harrb]
    #3328940 - 11/06/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Wanted to say good luck with everything!

Also, any way to get some pictures of any of this?

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: GOOD NEWS! [Re: daimyo]
    #3329441 - 11/07/04 01:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You used coffee and you didnt sterilize? If you had asked Rodger before doing that he would tell you thats a bad idea. Of course it will make the myc grow fast..watch how fast your contams grow too once they hit it.

You do relize that I've only heard of azures being fruited indoor twice and both times were growers of over 20 years? I think your way to over confident. Good luck though -shrug-

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder