Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineironcloudz
bassista

Loc: New Mexico
drying my friends
    #3260422 - 10/21/04 12:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Greeting Fung-philes:

I am attempting to use the technique of a bottom layer of desiccant placed upon a rag suspended with 1/4" mesh, mushrooms a few inches on mesh above, all within a tupperware type of container with a tight fitting lid.

I could not find what in one of the TEKs is described as "Damp B Gone" (anhydrous calcium chloride) so picked up some unnamed substance in a hobby shop which is marketed as intending to dry flowers.

Is this the same stuff? It's obviously some sort of desiccant but there is no indication on the container what this stuff actually is.

Have had the friends in there since the weekend and they are drying but rather slowly and I fear rot.

maybe I just need more of the desiccant in there to speed up the process? BTW I live in a dry climate so ambient humidity is rather low.

Does anyone used this drying process successfully? I also have a food dehydtrator I could use (with the heat turned off) but like the idea of using a "passive" process if it works.

Muchas Gracias.

--------------------
"Groovus Uber Alles"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewortels1985
Stranger
Re: drying my friends [Re: ironcloudz]
    #3260556 - 10/21/04 01:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I just put them on the back of my pc screen (warm!), but they should even dry quite well when just put somewhere in your house with a normal (non-tropical :laugh: ) humidity!

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: drying my friends [Re: wortels1985]
    #3260567 - 10/21/04 01:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Can't see your desiccant...if it's little round white balls it may be calcium chloride.

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
Re: drying my friends [Re: wortels1985]
    #3260570 - 10/21/04 01:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

you should fan dry your buddies for 24 hours before putting em in the chamber, otherwise it will take a lot longer. I just fan dried mine for 24-48 hours with no additional drying measures. They get eatin so quickly anyhow, but I imagine theyll stay quite a while regardless. The desiccant you got is probably silica, like the little packets that come with shoes and stuff that say do not eat. It is fine to use just do not eat it and youll be fine.

beejay

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

Offlineironcloudz
bassista

Loc: New Mexico
Re: drying my friends [Re: beejay]
    #3264180 - 10/22/04 10:11 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I ended up putting more of the stuff (yes, must be silica) in there and it seems to increase it's effectiveness: the caps are starting to shrink now.  :-)

I have a food dehydrator, out of curiosity set it up at the lowest setting, measured with a therm and it goes to about 90F.

Which raises the question, 'at what temp does the "active ingredient(s)" start to break down?'

I have heard that with food enzymes it's 108F, wonder if that's the same for our mushies, and if any research has actually been done.

Thanks for the responses. :laugh: :grin: :grin:

--------------------
"Groovus Uber Alles"

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: drying my friends [Re: ironcloudz]
    #3264196 - 10/22/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

My friend drys shrooms almost exclusively with 90-95 dry heat.( window screens and a space heater in a small closet). My many friends notice no difference between those dryed this way verses drying with dessicants. OF course there are many many people who will tell you other wise.

When my friend have less than a oz to dry he uses the back of his TV and computer monitor.

It becomes very silly to try and dry more than 500 grams of wet shrooms with desiccant chambers. If you find your self in that postion :grin:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: drying my friends [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3266685 - 10/23/04 12:44 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I dry ounce a day on dehydrators. No one ever noticed the difference when I switched from fan+desiccant, even though I let them know they could be less potent, they told me otherwise. Put them at low and you should do fine. Like Fucknuckle said though, other people will tell you there theories that say heat is bad...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: drying my friends [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3267689 - 10/23/04 12:18 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I found a great new way to dry, calcium chloride in epsom salt under a screen covered by a bag. It's not the fastest but in about 36 hours my mushies are totally dry and crispy.

Offlinekraj
Stranger
Re: drying my friends [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3267839 - 10/23/04 01:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

kronny does that involve any fan drying ?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies