Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFrankS
Stranger

Few questions about fruiting/colonizing with pics
    #3267455 - 10/23/04 12:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

This is my first growing experience. I have come across a few things which I couldn't explain.

About colonizing:

So far I have made syringes from 2 species (Mexican/Golden Teacher). With the first jars of GT, 1 syringe grew really good, and the jar from the other syringe didn't move a muscle, for weeks.. not even now. I've tried inoculating another jar with the 'bad' syringe, and only slow and little mycelium growth occurred. Other jars with the 'good' syringe showed great growth again.

Now onto the other species, the Mexican. After I finished making 3 syringes from some Mexican spores, I put the 0.5ml left over in an empty syringe and inoculated the jar with the 'bad' GT. After a few days massive mycelium growth started at the place where I inoculated.
I inoculated 4 more jars with the Mexican species (from the same water), with 3 different clean syringes. 2 showed contamination. 2 only have 1 spore that is growing (see picture).

This is a 0.5L jar, in which I have inoculated 6x0.5ml of fluid.

I can't find a really good explanation for this. Can somebody comment this theory?

I always sterilize my  :syringe: with a blue gas flame. After 3/4 of the needle has been red hot I wipe it clean with toilet-paper 'n alcohol. After this I start to inoculate. My personal guess is that this sterilizing method, is in one way or another killing the spores, or at least bugging them.

About the fruiting:

I've placed 2  jars of 'good syringe' GT (24/9 and 2/10) in a rather big aquarium filled with 16 liter perlite (5cm layer). It is now six days ago I placed the 24/9 jar in the aquarium.
As you can see on the picture below the mycelium tries to get out of the cake. I have worries that it doesn't know it should start to create mushrooms, and instead tries to make a bigger mycelium.

Is it better to wait until pins start to develop within the jar and then put them in an aquarium/fruiting chamber?

I'm having a blast growing mushrooms, but I'm just trying to clear these few things up.

cheers  :grin:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekrazycure
Coastal TripTech

Loc: The edge of reason
Re: Few questions about fruiting/colonizing with pics [Re: FrankS]
    #3267753 - 10/23/04 02:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

"This is a 0.5L jar, in which I have inoculated 6x0.5ml of fluid"

So, 3ml in a half-pint?? You might have screwed up the water ratio, as most people start with 1cc or a tiny bit less per jar. Mostly though, it sounds like your syringes just got contamed between inoculations  :crazy2: , that is, if you PC'ed everything before hand.

Flame indeed will kill spores going through the hot metal needle. You need to keep the flame well below the very TIP of the syringe until it's red hot, then immediately wipe in cold alcohol-soaked paper towel. Spores need to be room temperture when inoculated into the substrate. Wait 20-30 seconds for it to cool down, spray the air with disinfectant / ozium, wait another 30 seconds, then inoculate 2-3 jars and repeat the process. That will keep contams contained to small groups.  :thumbup:

"I have worries that it doesn't know it should start to create mushrooms, and instead tries to make a bigger mycelium." = If it gets an hour or so of light a day (more often makes better pinsets) then it will, eventually, pin. Something else may be off that's delaying them, such as, if the chamber isn't 10 degrees or so colder than when the cake was incubating. Airflow could also be a problem with perlite. Are you fanning?

"Is it better to wait until pins start to develop within the jar and then put them in an aquarium/fruiting chamber?"

Personally, I don't think so. Fresh air + light + no more nutes + cold shock after incubating = numerous pretty pins.  :cool:

Good luck!  :mushroom2:

OfflineFrankS
Stranger

Re: Few questions about fruiting/colonizing with pics [Re: krazycure]
    #3355543 - 11/13/04 02:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ok a few weeks later. The big jar is reinoculated, and some mushrooms started growing. But the growth is very limited. I can't seem to find any logical explanations for it. I didn't do anything special or something, just put the cakes in an aquarium covered with perlite. I think the pics speak for them selves, these are the 3 cakes I currently have birthing:

I hope anybody recognizes the problem. It pisses me off pretty much. I've put much effort, hope, and money in this project.. and seeing it succeed for only 10% isn't fun.
Yet there still remains hope :smile:

Offlinedjred

Re: Few questions about fruiting/colonizing with pics [Re: FrankS]
    #3355645 - 11/13/04 02:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

at least you have shrooms growing,its better then what some others recieve for the same amount of work and effort/cost..so good luck mate and great job..looks good time will tell everyhting you need to know..actually more reading and asking questions

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation