Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Are Cyans and Weilli really farther spread than we know, yet in smaller numbers?
    #3266281 - 10/23/04 12:32 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I will start with weilii since I have noticed them more ... I think weilii range the entire state of GA.. This said, I mean ' wild weilii' , which vary from the variety us in ATL call lawn weilii ... Woodland weilii take a more distinctive fruit type, with more color variation of cap. They fruit less often, and would probably be a rare mushroom to find unless you had 100 acres of forest and alot of time to spare... But I bet the determined hunter could in fact find these woodland weilii...

I think when all these outskirts of ATL were formed into the many chop and burn housing developments, the wild weilii found itself a new habitat. They took a new form, faster fruiting, more abundant. I mean, I think people only think weilii exist in the city because A) city dwellers are more likely to be connected to resources to hear accurate information about something. B) large population means more people> more finds more available natural resources a mushroom needs to survive..

But this brings up the question... What if lawn Weilii really is the 'new' species, and what if woodland weilii is the woodland adaptation of the lawn type..

Which came first, is my question... If the woodland weilii came first, I would imagine they span in a large area in hard to search , dense forests. Or maybe spare pine forests? Who knows...

So onto cyans now...

I hear alot of Seattle finds?

Is this because in Seattle there is lots of places using alder mulch for landscaping looks( parks, neighborhoods, etc) that they have adapted well to the area?

In the 'wild' what do cyans grow on? and could you ever expect to find cyans in such force as people here post out in 'nature' away from the city?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMarcd046
Captain CiderConnoisseur

Loc: North East, Uk
Re: Are Cyans and Weilli really farther spread than we know, yet in smaller numbers? [Re: 2Experimental]
    #3267800 - 10/23/04 02:51 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Your cyan question, in the 'wild' cyans grow in mulch, but this very rare. Yes, it is probably becuase Seattle uses alder mulch they have adapted well, also weather, and land level come into it... I think lol.

--------------------

Offlinemeadownymph
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Are Cyans and Weilli really farther spread than we know, yet in smaller numbers? [Re: Marcd046]
    #3271237 - 10/24/04 01:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

"wild"cyans seem to grow right out of rotting logs. That would be the wild, the non-human created environment. Seattle is so productive i think because there are so many parks, and environmentally conscious people, etc. And Alder was used quite a bit, unfortunatly, we are seeing more and more mixed alder/cedar or just plain old stupid cedar. I have seen cyans grow out of the cedar/alder mix, but not patches, more like random singles. I guess they will addapt, like most things do.

Edited by meadownymph (10/24/04 02:39 PM)

OfflinePeyoteZen
Save The Republic
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Again!
Re: Are Cyans and Weilli really farther spread than we know, yet in smaller numbers? [Re: meadownymph]
    #3271324 - 10/24/04 02:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Its a real bummer, one of my fav. patches is west seattle just got a "cedar makeover".
But I did find 1 cyanescen. Quite healthy in fact. It must have been barely clinging to the remnants of the woody compost layer underneath the new layer of cedar.

--------------------
ISLAMIC MIGRANT CRIME WAVE COMING TO A GRANNSKAP NEAR YOU!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification