Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineRambone
The 48thAmerican
 User Gallery

Re: Help get Shroomism out of jail. [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #3264783 - 10/22/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mushmonkey said:
If you kill someone's sister while driving stoned, what would you say to the fammily?

you hit someone with your car, you fucked up. whether you're sober or high. one is not worse than the other.

I dunno if I agree with that man. If you willingly ingest a mind-altering substance, and if that substance is a contributing factor to an accident, I think that's a fuckload worse than making a human error.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCmonkey67
Stoner

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Re: Help get Shroomism out of jail. [Re: Rambone]
    #3264872 - 10/22/04 01:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I drive stoned all the time....i dont drive on any other substance period....I honestly believe i drive safer and i know for a fact that i am much more patient, always drive the speed limit (or slower), I never get road rage, i've never been in an accident, and i never zone out and always pay attention to the road and whats happening around me....on the other hand everything that i have just forementioned has happend many times while driving sober....those are my 2 cents now i hope people don't start yelling at me

--------------------
I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. -J. Robert Oppenheimer

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: Help get Shroomism out of jail. [Re: Rambone]
    #3264934 - 10/22/04 02:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I don't like driving in traffic, ever, and don't smoke before I do if I have to. But, for long highway drives, I like to smoke beforehand - I don't think it's particularly dangerous, and it makes the time go much easier.

I searched for the studies online, just now.
In the early 90s, a study conducted on Dutch drivers found that low doses of marijuana were pretty safe, partially due to increased care taken by drivers, and that high doses of marijuana were still safer than very low doses of alcohol. Additionally, marijuana users were aware of their impairment while alcohol users reported minimal impairment of their driving ability while observers found that their ability was in fact impaired.
read about it here:
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_driving3.shtml#references

I also found this brief report of a later study on the NIDA website:
http://www.drugabuse.gov/NIDA_Notes/NNVol11N1/Marijuana.html
(the guy with the bow tie reminds me of the cockroach guy from Fear and Loathing)
Basic idea - they found that smoking marijuana impairs performance on tests of coordination and ballance, such as touching the nose and standing on one foot, that are predictors for driving ability.

Although the study behind the NIDA report may or may not have been well-performed, it is worth reading the report itself, because it shows the sort of unfocused, confused thinking that is promoted by proponents of the drug war.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Help get Shroomism out of jail. *DELETED* [Re: phi1618]
    #3265075 - 10/22/04 04:25 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

--------------------

Invisiblevivid
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Berkeley, California
Re: Help get Shroomism out of jail. [Re: blink]
    #3265183 - 10/22/04 04:49 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Driving high is not only "okay" it is required. Some people are pussies and dont have enough confidence in themselves, but pot has only made me drive slower, more attentively, and less aggressively. It is also a great pastime to get high while your driving down a country road, not many things can beat that.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: Help get Shroomism out of jail. [Re: phi1618]
    #3265360 - 10/22/04 05:38 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Basic idea - they found that smoking marijuana impairs performance on tests of coordination and ballance, such as touching the nose and standing on one foot, that are predictors for driving ability.

that's another thing that bugs me
I have, admittedly, poor balance. At least when I'm not moving.. it's not like I topple over when I'm running or something, back in the day I could throw out jukes and spin in circles while running.. but standing still, my balance is off.
Fortunately while you're in a car.... that doesn't matter. You're sitting down, and you'd have to have some real poor balance to topple over while sitting down.

Bleh. Worst field sobriety test ever. Almost as bad as the alphabet backwards (which I can't do sober either)

Anyway, that's a different rant

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

InvisiblePJDIDDLE
Female
Re: Driving while stoned? *DELETED* [Re: tomk]
    #3265362 - 10/22/04 05:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by Script

Reason for deletion: .

Offlineflimsdale
Stranger
Re: Help get Shroomism out of jail. [Re: Diploid]
    #3265600 - 10/22/04 06:50 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
Do you advocate drunk driving too? :thumbdown:

Drunk driving and driving stoned are two completely different things and studies have shown that, so what are you talking about?

--------------------
Daddy bakes delicious cakes

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Help get Shroomism out of jail. [Re: flimsdale]
    #3265761 - 10/22/04 07:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I really think everyone should be aware of themselves and their specific abilities...this is really the key here. Some people can do just about anything and still drive fine, some people can't drive fine sober, this is really a pointless argument as it's different for everyone. They key here is know thyself.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Offlinedaveball0420
journeyman
Re: Driving while stoned? [Re: PJDIDDLE]
    #3267359 - 10/23/04 10:05 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

script said:
Any way my point is that the same thing goes with pot. I drove under the influence of marijuana for a few years and never had any negative run-ins. Wile at the same time I had a buddy that straight up ran over the hood of some ladies car wile he was taking a turn, a few months later he totaled his car. Both times he was high, and it wasn?t a tolerance thing, this guy is a straight up pot head. I don?t blame marijuana I blame the specific affect it had on him. Drugs affect everybody differently (EVEN MARIJUANA!). Coming out and deeming it safe to drive under the influence of marijuana is a dangerous statement, you never know who is reading on the other end.

-Script-

Have you ever thought that maybe your friend is just a really bad driver? YOu said that he smokes a lot, could it not just be coincidence that both accidents were while stoned?

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Driving while stoned? [Re: tomk]
    #3269320 - 10/23/04 08:48 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think most of you proponents of impaired driving would be reluctant to get in an airliner with a stoned pilot because it's your life being put at risk and not some inocent person's life who you don't know or care about. Think about that. :whoa:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Driving while stoned? [Re: Diploid]
    #3269377 - 10/23/04 09:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
I think most of you proponents of impaired driving would be reluctant to get in an airliner with a stoned pilot because it's your life being put at risk and not some inocent person's life who you don't know or care about. Think about that. :whoa:

If it affected his flying skills the same way it affected my driving, I wouldn't be worried at all.  At worst, the flight would be a few minutes late getting to its destination.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: Help get Shroomism out of jail. [Re: silversoul7]
    #3269420 - 10/23/04 09:27 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

Diploid said:
As can a sober driver. The one time I got in an accident, I was completely sober.

But a sober driver isn't putting other people at an *increased* risk without their consent. When I get in a car, I assume certain risks involved in driving a car. That risk doesn't include a risk placed on me unwillingly by a selfish stoner who can't be bothered to wait until he gets to his destination to start partying.

A stoner who can't be bothered to wait to get stoned until he gets to his destination is putting others at increased risk without their consent. It is selfish and wrong no matter how you try to justify and rationalize it.

And if I were a narrow-minded anti-drug zealot, this exact attitude would be a great source of firepower against the rest of us who chose to use drugs responsibly

Do you advocate drunk driving too? :thumbdown:

Only if you can handle it(I can't).

A friend of mine can drive perfectly drunk or stoned.  I wouldn't want to try this.  I don't drink often but it seems like when I do drink, I get DRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNK  as FUCK ...

--------------------

Offlinemushieangel
im his imaginaryfriend. no onecan see me buthim

Loc: somewhere fun, i hope
driving stoned [Re: tomk]
    #3269973 - 10/24/04 12:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, im not going to read this whole thread. it is dangerous to drive stoned. i used to do it all the time. whenever i had a long trip (every few days) i would smoke a big ass bowl. and i was like, oh, i drive fine, la la la. and then i had a friend in the car who was like, dude, you are driving like shit. and i was like, no no, i am fine. and i got lost all the fucking time. and finally i hit an animal and i am like, you know what? i am a fucking dumbshit to think i can drive just fine. i was not weaving all over the fucking road or anything, but my reactions and directions were shit, like any other smoking person. any one study can say any fucking thing. driving stoned is a bad choice. there is a reason they call it getting "fucked up" not "getting high to drive better."

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: driving stoned [Re: mushieangel]
    #3269990 - 10/24/04 12:37 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I don't call it "getting fucked up". I call it "getting high". As does, well, everyone I know.

We reserve the sacred "getting fucked up" phrase for the TRUE drug to get fucked up on: alcohol :wink:

Let's put it this way: driving impaired is a dangerous thing to do and a bad idea on any day.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Driving while stoned? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3270069 - 10/24/04 01:03 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

If it affected his flying skills the same way it affected my driving, I wouldn't be worried at all. At worst, the flight would be a few minutes late getting to its destination. 

:spliff: :captain:

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#3270306 - 10/24/04 02:06 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I think most of you proponents of impaired driving would be reluctant to get in an airliner with a stoned pilot because it's your life being put at risk and not some inocent person's life who you don't know or care about. Think about that.

I don't really ride in people's cars that I don't know. Everyone I've ridden with who's driven stoned, I personally know and personally know they're fine.
But would I get on the plane? pff yeah. those things mostly fly themselves anyway.

Anyone who believes that smoking pot impairs your reaction speed, to you I issue this challenge.
Play me in a twitch-based video game. I don't have smoke right now, staying clean for a test, but I'll let you know when the test can take place.
Play me sober, and then play me stoned.
Tekken, FPS, RTS, you name it.
And then tell me if I beat you worse the first time around or the second..
and I already know what the answer will be.

Now, let's go outside and play some football. Same situation.. I'm tall and lanky so I usually get stuck as a reciever. Tell me which time I'm runnin around more agile and reacting better to what's happening around me. I already know the answer to this, also.

Now try and surprize me, say, while I'm reading a book. Tell me which time I was quicker to respond to what happened. This, too, I already know. Sober I most likely will not notice -anything-, stoned you'll get a delayed "whhat?"

Marijuana -CAN- slow your reaction time.. but I do not believe that to be a result of the drug itself, but rather a result of the state of mind it produces. When you're relaxed and tuning out and mellow and straight chillin.. you don't react fast. When you're high and doing something, it's not the same.

Christ almighty if you think pot makes you slow, explain hacky sack. explain it! bah.

It's not a good idea for everyone -- but driving's not a good idea for everyone. Lots of idiots, yanno. As I've said. Lots of people who aren't idiots also probably shouldn't drive stoned -- but there's plenty of folk that I do not believe are noticably adversly affected by it.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

OfflineBowlKiller
----
    #3270629 - 10/24/04 04:28 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

This discussion is absurd. I'm arguing with people who advocate driving a car while impaired.

I'm done with this discussion.

--

I thought you were done with the discussion.

--------------------
----

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Driving while stoned? [Re: BowlKiller]
    #3271234 - 10/24/04 11:51 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I thought you were done with the discussion.

I was done with it when it was off-topic in S&P.  But then you wouldn't know that because you participate only in the easy forums, like OTD.  :tongue:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/percent.php?who=105596

To continue with the discussion, I've been a licensed pilot for almost 20 years and despite my fairly extensive experience, I would not even taxi an airplane while stoned.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinedruqks46
its dat woowoo
Loc: trees
    #3271686 - 10/24/04 02:18 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

What does hacky sack have to do with this? haha

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale